IGNORED

Missing sound chip for Adam computer

chart45

Hmmm... I'm not sure this is going to work for every SGM game. As far as I know, the ADAM doesn't let the programmer switch the lower 8K (used by the Coleco BIOS) into pure RAM like the real SGM does. So any SGM game that runs in "full 32K RAM" mode (such as Gauntlet) is probably not going to work with this device.

Edited by Pixelboy

Hmmm... I'm not sure this is going to work for every SGM game. As far as I know, the ADAM doesn't let the programmer switch the lower 8K (used by the Coleco BIOS) into pure RAM like the real SGM does. So any SGM game that runs in "full 32K RAM" mode (such as Gauntlet) is probably not going to work with this device.

you are the only one who can test it since the game is not released yet... i can ship this one to you if you want to test... i made this to see if its possible to only use the ay on the adam and yes it works for the part i can test... it also work on the coleco for meca 8 and 9 since the game dont check for extra ram... i wont sell or build them for people its there for anybody who want to try it...

let me know if you want to try it...

i know how to add the 8k ram as you can see in the short video... you can also see how many ic's it require to do it so if i add the 8k ram i should put the 24k too so it's a ttl sgm and my ass get kick out so i wont do it... is there other games that require the full 32k of ram?? i will try every game that i have to see if there is some that dont work on the adam with the ay only...

• Like 1

ok i finally test all sgm game that i have on 2 standalone adam and they all work... the game i didnt test yet since i lent them to a friend are gradius and peinguin adventure from opcode.. i will go get them and see if they work... so maybe some game will not work in the future but for the previous release they seem to work perfectly...

i dont think i will do more test on this.. you build it if you want...

if you want to be sure 100% compatibilities get the new phoenix or a sgm...

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
44 minutes ago, jltursan said:

Thanks for sharing!. The PCB doesn't have any holes to use screws, does it fits firmly inside the case?

The card edge connector is pretty much a perfect fit as well as the rest of the pcb. Just use some doublesided foam tape on the underside of the pcb to hold it in place. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 10:15 AM, rietveld said:

Someone posted there Famicom cart conversion in the fb group but they used a real Famicom cart.  I don't have a Famicom so i just printed this cover instead

it's  mine with the added audio port so no need to open the adam to mod the audio out

20220524_200739.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 4:09 PM, Pixelboy said:

Pretty late response but yes the sound enhancer works with Gauntlet 

IMG_20220603_155346_412.jpg

IMG_20220603_155314_777.jpg

• Like 1

I also noticed that this sound enhancer does not work properly when attached to the colecovision Adam expansion module 3.  The Adam produces a echoing cannon sound that only goes away when the the SGM game is loaded and running. Any other instance other than the game produces this constant noise

On 11/16/2018 at 3:16 PM, chart45 said:

here the sound chip enhancer for the adam computer....

it give you the missing sounds from the sgm game on the adam

it use only ttl chip so nothing to program

very easy to build... i only test on ntsc system so i dont know if it work on others region system.... here the gerber files

enjoy

AdamSoundChip.zip 112.08 kB · 109 downloads

post-34775-0-30284300-1542398921_thumb.jpg

This cart does not seem to work properly with the expansion Adam or the standalone using the hard drive.  Both produce an unwanted and continuous echo

• 2 months later...