IGNORED

Diskless Xbone in 2019

Flojomojo

I'm super slow on buying consoles (I only buy new games on PC). My latest console purchase was a PS3 just last Friday. IF I were to buy an Xbone it would not be the discless version as I grab many of my games at Goodwill. In about 5-10 years these games will start showing up there (not including those sports games that always show up).

If I didn't already have a collection of 360 disks and hadn't lost my BR player, I would go for a diskless Xbox One.

Something like this is good for those who mostly stream videos and play some games, it might be even more economical to subscribe to a Game Pass instead of paying $60 for each game that only gets played for a few days.

Wow, that sucks. Hopefully it's "optional" (as in a disc reading version stays on shelves along side it.

Xbox one is already the worst selling of current gen consoles, mostly due to the "disc is just a key" thing, what will this solve?

I too will not buy a medialess console, outside the cheap Android box (fire, roku, similar) for streaming.

• Like 1

this is funny because i've recently stopped buying game discs for our XBox. The disc just acts as a physical drm key anyway, so I don't really feel like I'm 'keeping' anything by having discs. You still have to install the darn games onto your console and then patch them.

Especially considering that MS is potentially offering 'game keys' for current physical discs, I don't really have any compelling reason to keep a bunch of discs that I'm going to have to make space for.

On the flip side to this, it's going to really *suck* for folks that either don't have reliable Internet or super slow Internet.

• Like 2

Yeah, due to my data cap, I only have half a dozen xbone game. This is HIGHLY irregular for me, as I typically get about two games a month or so for current gen consoles, so Microsoft's "key" thing is costing them a pretty penny, as I'm roughly 18-20 games short of what I'd usually have at this point in a consoles owned point (slightly over a year for me)

Also, games save online, instead of the hdd? That's more of my internet gone, WHEN I play it, which is rare. I've literally played this console less combined, than any one of the three dozen games I've got on ps4, and that is only because I went and bought a Xbox 360 to replace one stolen two years ago. Otherwise it's only real use to me was 360 games.

• Like 3

I don't think this is so much a move away from physical media as it is a common sense option for a sizable chunk of their customer base. A lot of people don't take advantage of their XB1's disc drive. They download everything and they stream everything. So it makes sense to offer this customer base a slimmer and slightly cheaper console.

Part of the same rumor judging by what I read last night, is also a slimmer and cheaper XB1S revision for next year that retains the disc drive. Strange move to refresh the disc drive line if they're now pushing to eradicate it with the XB1's successor. Microsoft still sells an awful lot of games at retail, the retail model is a major component of Xbox 360 backwards compatibility which has been a major selling point for Xbox to differentiate it from the competition the past few years, and Microsoft is the only one of the two that has embraced UHD Blu-Ray.

I don't see them now being the first to dump a disc drive with their next-gen hardware. While I still worry this might do a bit too well and make them seriously consider a disc-less next-gen platform, I think that's still a long shot. The digital revolution on game consoles hasn't moved as quickly as these platform holders expected and a lot of people still value their discs, physical video options, being able to sell/trade and purchase used games, and practical limitations with bandwidth constraints and data caps.

I suspect (And hope) that Playstation 5 and Xbox 4 will have variants that retain the traditional Blu-Ray disc drive and still offer physical games on optical disc.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I will be perfectly happy as long as the next generation console has a disc-based option. If they ditch it I will be done buying their consoles. If I'm going digital only I'd rather just play on PC. I can't download and play Xbox Live Arcade games or DLC on my original Xbox (legally) but PC games that I purchased at that time are still in my Steam library and they still function. The Wii store is gone. I believe the PS3 will be an offline console in a few years.

Besides... my backlog is big enough that I could never buy a game again and I'd be good until I die.

• Like 2

I will be perfectly happy as long as the next generation console has a disc-based option. If they ditch it I will be done buying their consoles. If I'm going digital only I'd rather just play on PC. I can't download and play Xbox Live Arcade games or DLC on my original Xbox (legally) but PC games that I purchased at that time are still in my Steam library and they still function. The Wii store is gone. I believe the PS3 will be an offline console in a few years.

Besides... my backlog is big enough that I could never buy a game again and I'd be good until I die.

Morbid thought, but probably very true for many of us older gamers (myself included...)

I'm leaving this comment on the third or so occasion that I caught myself incorrectly reading the word 'diskless' in the thread title.

As for me I just looked at it and wondered why they'd be removing the hard drive.

But removing the optical drive... have to admit it, Microsoft found a way to make me want their system even less.

• Like 1

The sad thing is that there will be no aftermarket for games made in coming years. They are eliminating a large part of the video game hobby for future generations. I think removing the physical aspects of gaming (buy/sell/trade/collect) is incredibly short-sighted.

In 30 years, we had better hope IP owners decide to re-release once popular games onto whatever console is current at that time. Say bye bye to nostalgia and the joy of owning something old. Abandonware will also be virtually nonexistent, but I guess that is the point. :(

Are pirate copies of downloaded games still possible on modern consoles? I haven't kept up. If so, bootleggers could end up being the unwitting archivers of future games.

Edited by RodLightning
  • Like 1