IGNORED

ftp.pigwa.net needs your help

ZuluGula

Many of you know and use http://ftp.pigwa.net for years. It’s a place that hosts all kinds of documents, pictures, and files for Atari and retro computing projects and websites. Its archives are constantly growing. With it comes a demand for better server hardware, more Internet bandwidth, and other related expenses. In the past, this project was funded and supported by private funds of administrator and help of polish Atari community. Now you can be a part of it and support it through Patreon https://www.patreon.com/pigwa The goal for next year is a new server hardware.

Thank you to everyone who decides to help.

• Like 11

um I always thought you could submit uploads... did this change where you couldn't?

With only an anon logon you don't have rights to directly upload. If you /can/ submit uploads it doesn't say so, or how to, in the MOTD or logon welcome messages, so how would a noob like me know how? The last message I sent to voy, about a week ago, is still unanswered.

Hello, I'm one of the admins of pigwa. I'll try to answer all your questions.

- multiple concurrent connections

well, we have limited bandwidth capability and due to some greedy activities, we had to a) limit the concurrent sessions to 2 (to let users download on one session and browse directories on another one), b) limit download speed (varies depending on many things)

- upload rights

anyone can upload files to pigwa. period. not everyone is able to download uploaded file. why? well, we were under attack of some warez-transit bots, that's why we let you upload stuff without right to delete, rename, append or download… in case you want to upload something interesting, do it and let know any of admins - your files will be moved to the proper place (if voy doesn't answer let me know and vice versa)

- one time donation

sure you can, just contact voy, he'll give you his paypal account (not given public to avoid spam)

Now, let me add few things. PIGWA net is not only just ftp archive (btw: you can access it's file with http protocol: http://ftp.pigwa.net/). We do quite a lot... A brief list of our 'activities' is available on patreon post.

Up till now we tried to push things on our own - I pay for the internet link and electric power by myself, not mentioning bying the hardware (server, disks…) but the problem is we had some serious hardware failures this year (power supply - twice!, mainboard, RAID controller, few disks) and we have to buy new server and other stuff (like UPS+batteries)… We would be more than happy if you could help us and participate in our expenses.
You might wonder why the hell we have our own server instead of hosting somewhere else. Well, there are many reasons, believe me (one of them is (are) mails from Atari, Inc. attorneys - yeah, it's a long story)
Why we ask you for help? Well - as I wrote above - to buy new hardware. But that's not the only thing - we'd like to have better internet throughput to serve files in better way. No more per user bandwidth limitations, no more concurrent session limitations, faster browsing and downloading in general. We would like to improve our hosting capabilities. But this time without your help it won't be possible since we are broke for the moment...
Edited by azbest
  • Like 7

We really need more awesome retrogaming repos such as pigwa. It's always been an amazing, comprehensive source of really interesting material that is very hard to find elsewhere. I think I've contributed Atari TOSEC (or was it Gamebase?) there some years ago. I'm not exactly fush at the moment but will paypal 10$ to voy this time. Hope you guys can carry on for years to come.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well... Two weeks passed… We know something already, we have some plans... We would like to remind you, pigwa is here to serve you. So, if you have anything what is worth showing, worth to preserve, you saw something over the internet what might dissapear, you are retro-fan with some hobby it is time you contact us since we might offer you a place to live... :)

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

A big thanks to all those who make pigwa possible! There is a huge amount of programs, images, schematics, books, etc. Going through all of that will a couple of centuries. :) I'm happy to lend my support.

Have you solicited on other Atari forums?

Thank you for your support! :)

We are trying to do our best. Well, there are maaany files indeed. Our goal is to tidy the archive, have it sorted, unique and described.

As to other forums - not really to be honest... (message was posted on 3 or 4 forums)

Hi.

I'm in on the 8-bit tier. I'm probbly one of those that has pulled down a lot at once, but not very often. Sorry. :(

If I might ask, how big is the total archive? Have you considered letting others mirror it for you?

Thank you.

I'm pulling quite a bit from there now just to have a local archive to play with and I'm finding lots and lots of duplicate games between the various collections. Sometimes the naming conventions are a little different but the file is essentially the same.

I wonder if a script could be created that would scan through the entire pigwa directory structure and create a combined library without the duplicates. Maybe the script could compare the checksum and the file name. If the checksum and >80% filename characters match then there is a high likelihood two files are duplicates. This could give us one master "Games" directory, one master "Demos" directory, etc.

If I had to guess then I would say the 8-bit related files combined (duplicates, photos from conventions, PDFs, etc) are probably well over 80GB if not even more. The 16-bit and 32-bit archives are probably be 3x that. Pigwa is huge!

If I might ask, how big is the total archive? Have you considered letting others mirror it for you?

An answer is right up there in the banner of every directory in the http site, not realtime accurate, but gives you an idea.

The archive is around 845GB in 938689 files at the moment (11.12.2018).
  • Like 1

toddtmw: please, help yourself :) leech as much as you want - pigwa is just for your pleasure and to serve you.
as to mirroring - we do not ban such actions, feel free. but... we are doing some preparations to tidy up and ease mirroring (more to come in a couple of months I guess)

6BQ5: yeah, we know. it's due to one reason - mirror/archive first (before stuff disappears), tidy up later. we are working on a tool to help us clean the mess

Nezgar: indeed :)

In case any of you want to learn more about pigwa you might be interested in reading https://www.patreon.com/pigwa- there are some more or less interesting info (esp here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/briefly-on-what-22728279 )

Edited by azbest
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...