IGNORED

Sega Nomad Repair Help

Stairre

Wondering if anyone can help me figure out the last step here... I have a nomad that someone tried an LCD mod on and they burned out the composite output lead trying to do so. I was able to figure out that if I connect to the end of the capacitor on the opposite side of the board (where the lead traces to) and power the (newly purchased) LCD replacemt screen externally, I get signal and it looks great, but if I connect ground and pull voltage from anywhere, let alone the usual spots on the board, I get a brief flash of the screen/ signal and the nomad crashes and powers down. Any ideas where to start?

It should be noted that if I disconnect EITHER the ground OR the power lead of the replacement LCD from the Nomad PCB, the Nomad keeps right on working, but the LCD obviously does not.

Ill def post some pics tomorrow (Im in DC for work at the moment). But yes, Ive hooked up there, Ive also tried hooking up near the power inlet at the top, and just for fun, literally anywhere else I got a reading of 5v (was to the point of trying anything, lol).

However, so far I have done all of the testing with a power adaptor reading a pretty consistent 10v. I dont have a battery pack at the moment. I could probably rig one to test on batteries though.

I should also mention that I have done a full recap and voltage regulator swap as well. So thats why at this point Im getting stumped.

The reason I asked was because the display is pulling your supply down(not that the problem is the display) pointing to a weak supply such as a failing adapter or failing regulator. If you already checked the amperage of your adapter and it meets or exceeds the OEM that should be fine but doesn't mean it couldn't be having issues anyhow. If you still have the old voltage regulator lying around I'd swap it back just to test could be possible you got a bad one.

PS, was the same person who burned the connection for composite you mentioned the one that installed the regulator. Possible too they had heat on it to long which could have ruined it.

Edited by SignGuy81

Oh man, I hadn’t thought of that... excellent call! I’ll look for a more robust power supply and see what I come up with. I’ll update tomorrow evening after a few tests. I definitely have a few other power supplies I could try. Do you have any idea what the max voltage I can supply the Nomad with without damage? I’ve been using a power supply that is putting out 10v very consistently, but I hadn’t thought about it dropping too low to power the Nomad like that.

I would first check the input voltage while trying to power up the screen if it still stays consistent then I would keep it change the regulator since that would be the one dropping voltage with screen attached pointing to weak regulator.

I meant to add though that a shorting regulator can cause the input voltage to drop as well so possible both input and output would drop when are powering screen up and also that it would be fine for a minor drop on the input side as more current is being pulled

Edited by SignGuy81