IGNORED

HSC15 R20: Donkey Kong Jr. + Season Catch-up

therealbountybob

Donkey Kong Jr.

donkey_kong_junior.png

Fairly tough platformer but it plays very well. Fandal has XEX, also has arcade and enhanced editions (by darryl1970, same gameplay different graphics as far as I know!)

DK Jr Hints Pack on post 39

donkey_kong_junior_arcade.pngdonkey_kong_junior_enhanced.png

Season Catch-up

Play any games you've missed or improve on them for some extra points - post scores here please ;) I'll post a new easier Ski-It soon folks :-o:D:P

Round NOW Ends: Sunday 9th December 10AM UK time

• Like 1

127k 1st life as I didn't have time to play longer as it was McKong Jr's bath time!

I knew there was something I'd forgotten to do, still there's over a month left to go :D

I haven't posted any scores here for awhile

DK Jr 22,300

hey roadrunner glad to see you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

p.s. guys been on Ski-It update all day but lots of work this week so might the improved v1.2 next week :-o ;)

• Like 1

So are we posting scores for the original, arcade and enhanced versions or is the difficulty / scoring considered to be equal? I suppose we start on level 1 as well.

Not my favorite game by any means, but I voted and will play it to honor McKong.

Donkey Kong Jr (original) - 3100 pts

So is this 10 days of redemption and I can play the games I missed in previous rounds?

Yes or improve scores already posted :thumbsup: we can extend this another week if the scores start rolling in ;) ...roadrunner for champ :D

DK Jr after my first session 66,400 reached the first sparks screen.

McKong you can beat your HSC record for a bonus point just to keep you busy ;) Perhaps you will give the other two versions a full workout just to see if you can spot anything (if you have time).

127k 1st life as I didn't have time to play longer as it was McKong Jr's bath time!

Soooo, what's you're saying is that we're all pretty much playing for 2nd place this time around, right? ;)

55,500!

post-9712-0-05839600-1542761056.png

I forgot how crazy hard this game is! But I made it to the sparks level for the very first time in my life, so I'm happy with that!

• Like 3

Soooo, what's you're saying is that we're all pretty much playing for 2nd place this time around, right? ;)

55,500!

I forgot how crazy hard this game is! But I made it to the sparks level for the very first time in my life, so I'm happy with that!

Yes! Let battle commence... after a lot of goes and a change of joystick as I just can't get my quickshot buttons to be 100% reliable I completed the sparks and finished level 3: 83,300

DK Jr. Hints: DK Jr. is a tough one, theres no escaping it. I can offer the following; you can get more points on the first level, over 10K for each of the first two screens if you take out a few baddies using the fruit, so if you can't get far go for this as a strategy rather than a quick completion. You can take out descending baddies from below the fruit too. Generally a lot of placement tapping l/r to position yourself before the jumps especially on the spring scren. Often you can camp out and are safer than you think so explore the game. Usually at the top of the screen a single jump will reach the last chain. You can jump up the step more quickly (you do not jump) on the top of the first screens by walking into it and then pressing fire. The sparks go in a pattern, watch the top part where they go from 1-4. go after they have done the 4 down at the same time.

Have fun and I forget but you can jump down onto that spring from somewhere too :)

• Like 2

Yes! Let battle commence... after a lot of goes and a change of joystick as I just can't get my quickshot buttons to be 100% reliable I completed the sparks and finished level 3: 83,300

DK Jr. Hints: DK Jr. is a tough one, theres no escaping it. I can offer the following; you can get more points on the first level, over 10K for each of the first two screens if you take out a few baddies using the fruit, so if you can't get far go for this as a strategy rather than a quick completion. You can take out descending baddies from below the fruit too. Generally a lot of placement tapping l/r to position yourself before the jumps especially on the spring scren. Often you can camp out and are safer than you think so explore the game. Usually at the top of the screen a single jump will reach the last chain. You can jump up the step more quickly (you do not jump) on the top of the first screens by walking into it and then pressing fire. The sparks go in a pattern, watch the top part where they go from 1-4. go after they have done the 4 down at the same time.

Have fun and I forget but you can jump down onto that spring from somewhere too :)

The sparks screen looks difficult but it is definitely the easiest because, as Bob said, it follows a pattern. The hardest part of the screen is the third level. Exactly as Bob said, go after the 4 blue sparks but after the first sparks screen it becomes more difficult and then the safest time to go is when the yellow ground spark coincides with the four blue sparks at the left hand side of the level. Does that make sense? Once you've worked out the pattern it's pretty easy, I very rarely lose a life on this screen,

Edited by McKong

Played DK Jnr Arcade & Enhanced. Some bits I really like others not so much, but only cos I'm used to the original.

Because the platforms, ropes and enemies in these two versions are slightly different dimensions than those in the original, I would need to play them for a while to adjust my timings slightly before I could achieve high scores.

I think the sparks board looks great in these two

• Like 1

DKJr: 84,300!

attachicon.gifDKJR 84300.png

Getting the hang of the sparks level, but the next level with the keys is tough! So much going on there!

Yeah it gets very busy that screen. The important thing is, once the screen is fully populated, take your time and watch for places where you can get trapped.

The good news is it doesn't get any more difficult after level 5, or is it 6?!

Oh yeah, and as mentioned before, the timing of the sparks level changes next time round. But as far as i can tell only the yellow floor spark on level 3, which is now as fast as the overhead spark

Edited by McKong
  • Like 1

Improved my Ski-it Slalom time to 6:02

Played Downhill - 1st run 2:44.1 2nd DNF = 9:59:9 :(

:thumbsup:

I think I put *all* the obstacles on for the 2nd run so that's why it was so hard - v1.2 is progressing slowly! If you get chance can you see if the SAVE and LOAD of the high scores works on your SIO2SD etc (there are some debug numbers shown on the bottom right)

DK Jr, having lots of goes each day 107,400 :)

post-19705-0-48082200-1542912179.jpg

deteacher is on NTSC so that will make the game even harder I bet :thumbsup:

Might have another crack at Bertyx, by the process of emimination it must be possible to find where to use those bullet thingys :-o

• Like 1

Yeah i can try saving and loading scores, no problem.

Is there details in the instructions of how it's supposed to work?

just go onto the records screen (press option from the title screen), or ater your go - then it's select to load / option to save - make the disk read/write, if this works ok also try and break it by having the disk read only if that's something that it can do. Thanks.