IGNORED

NES High Score Club Round 1 - Double Dragon

asponge

Alright, I didn't wanna go out like that...

so I played anyway just for the crap of it!

Had some unfortunate early deaths, took on double Obobos twice whenever possible just to push for more points. Got killed by the double green Obobos in Mission 4.

post-34560-0-48640300-1543884303_thumb.jpg

@asponge -- will the all-time records be recorded the same as Jibajabba did? meaning, you can post after the round is over and it still counts toward the all-time best?

• Like 1

This game is great for point-pressing! Head-butts are dangerous because you tend to take a lot of damage doing that, so it's very difficult to max out what you can using head-butts, especially in mission 3. Much of the time I find I must resort to other attacks just to survive!

This game is great for point-pressing! Head-butts are dangerous because you tend to take a lot of damage doing that, so it's very difficult to max out what you can using head-butts, especially in mission 3. Much of the time I find I must resort to other attacks just to survive!

You can get in close to keep headbutting the Chins and Abobos. But the hit detection is really wonky and the positioning for it can be a pain in the ass.

Headbutting also doesn't give much experience so I like to use punches in the first stage until I have the jump kick, and then work in punches and kicks along with the headbutts until I have the elbow. It's good to have jump kick and elbow for when you need them.

• Like 1

@asponge -- will the all-time records be recorded the same as Jibajabba did? meaning, you can post after the round is over and it still counts toward the all-time best?

This won't happen immediately, but ideally I'd like to split the all-time best scores into two lists. One would track just scores submitted during the weekly competitions. The other would track scores submitted anytime. I view the two as separate competitions so I think there's value in maintaining both lists. So yes, you can submit a score at anytime, but I'm planning to change how those scores get logged. If anyone has any feelings about this one way or another I'd appreciate your feedback.

• Like 1

Alright, I didn't wanna go out like that...

so I played anyway just for the crap of it!

Had some unfortunate early deaths, took on double Obobos twice whenever possible just to push for more points. Got killed by the double green Obobos in Mission 4.

attachicon.gifDouble Dragon (NES) 182450.jpg

Nicely done, S.BAZ!

Indeed, this game has some great potential for point pressing. I had some trouble with my PC controller d-pad which made headbutting a little bit more frustrating. Looking forward to seeing a future score of yours on the all-time leader board.

This won't happen immediately, but ideally I'd like to split the all-time best scores into two lists. One would track just scores submitted during the weekly competitions. The other would track scores submitted anytime. I view the two as separate competitions so I think there's value in maintaining both lists. So yes, you can submit a score at anytime, but I'm planning to change how those scores get logged. If anyone has any feelings about this one way or another I'd appreciate your feedback.

If memory serves, you'll find multiple threads for the same game from previous NES high score competitions. There's the option of posting in the "All-Time High Scores" thread (which CGQuarterly very kindly updated a few years back). That might be more convenient for separation. As long as there's somewhere to post scores for the all-time thread and someone willing to update that list, then it's cool.

• Like 1

You can get in close to keep headbutting the Chins and Abobos. But the hit detection is really wonky and the positioning for it can be a pain in the ass.

Headbutting also doesn't give much experience so I like to use punches in the first stage until I have the jump kick, and then work in punches and kicks along with the headbutts until I have the elbow. It's good to have jump kick and elbow for when you need them.

I've found I can time it right to hit Chin or Abobo with headbutts every time, as long as they're fully in the screen and there's no one else being impolite (i.e., attacking me while I'm fighting). With Chin you have to stand onto his knees, with Abobo you have to stand not quite onto his feet. With both, wait till he gets up into a squat, then hit the headbutt.

• 4 months later...