IGNORED

"Must Finish" Games You Missed the First Time

wongojack

I may be on the over organized side, but I'm tracking various lists of games that I want to play. Some are definite must plays that I've just never made time for. Some are quite old, others are on newer systems I just didn't have. What are your games "that got away?" Those games you know you just have to get back to at some point.

Here are some examples of games I've already played and cleared from my list:

2600 - I never played these as a kid, but I've played all the difficulty levels now

Adventure

Haunted House

Pitfall II - still never finished without save states

Intellivision

Treasure of Tarmin and Tower of Doom - I still want more time with Cloudy Mountain

Maze a Tron

Countermeasure

Adventure II - Does a homebrew fit on this list? It does for me

Coleco

Wargames - Got a chance to spend time with it recently

Alcazar - A surprise hidden gem

C64

Arkanoid - Finally beat all the stages in the last few years

Gyruss - made it to 1 mill points

NES

Euphoria - A PAL exclusive and true hidden gem

Mega Man 2 - Played with save states

SMB 3 - save states

MSX

Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2

Gameboy

Link's Awakening

Donkey Kong

SNES

Chrono Trigger

Super Metroid

N64

Ocarina of Time

PC

Half Life

Baldur's Gate - ok, I didn't finish this one, but I'm ready to move on

XBOX

KOTOR

Chronicles of Riddick

And here are some games that I still haven't gotten to from classic systems:

post-5812-0-80283200-1542565107_thumb.png

I have even more that have slipped past me from more modern systems, but I think that is more than enough to get the conversation going.

What games fall into these categories for you?

• Like 2

I want to go through all of Infocom's text adventures on the A8, but I'm having a heck of a time finding Suspended, Starcross (both just in the 'normal' box. I don't need the mask and spaceship!) and Plundered Hearts CIB. It wouldn't be the same playing without the "feelies".

YES! Planetfall and other text games should be on my list too.

• Like 1

Not sure why you would need save states to finish Pitfall II?

you can't die

there's only one difficulty setting

it can easily be finished in under an hour, even if you really suck at it.

Because I could? It was years ago, but I mostly remember being tempted to do it while running underneath those flying birds. Just saves time.

I have a similar list that I've recently converted to an excel document. It's basically a list of games I've completed and if I used any cheats there are a few other columns indicating built-in cheats, game genie, or save states. I try not to cheat if I can and I'll often return to earlier games I cheated with an try to beat them properly. Games that I originally beat as a kid have a different color than the one's I've revisited and finished as an adult. The full list includes over 200 games starting with the 2600 to present.

The main ones still on my to do list are:

Atari 2600

Haunted House (all modes)

Private Eye (all modes)

Colecovision / SGM / MSX

Alcazar

Penguin Adventure

King's Valley

Apple II

Conan: Hall of Volta

ATARI 8-Bit

Bruce Lee
Goonies
Montezuma's Revenge
Pharaoh's Curse

Zorro

NES

Adventures of Lolo 3

Metroid

Ninja Gaiden 2

Castlevania 3

Rygar

DuckTales 2

Sega Master System

Golden Axe Warrior

Sega Genesis

Phantasy Star III

Phantasy Star IV

Castle of Illusion

Ecco

Ecco 2

Quack Shot

SNES

Castlevania IV

Final Fantasy III

Secret of Mana 2 / SD3

Turbo Duo

Keith Courage

Dungeon Explorer

Legendary Axe

Neutopia II

Gate of Thunder

Lords of Thunder

Dracula X

Ys IV

Edited by Ramses
  • Like 1

I have a similar list that I've recently converted to an excel document. It's basically a list of games I've completed and if I used any cheats there are a few other columns indicating built-in cheats, game genie, or save states. I try not to cheat if I can and I'll often return to earlier games I cheated with an try to beat them properly. Games that I originally beat as a kid have a different color than the one's I've revisited and finished as an adult. The full list includes over 200 games starting with the 2600 to present.

Atari 2600

Haunted House (all modes)

Private Eye (all modes)

Colecovision / SGM / MSX

Alcazar

Penguin Adventure

King's Valley

Apple II

Conan: Hall of Volta

ATARI 8-Bit

Bruce Lee
Goonies
Montezuma's Revenge
Pharaoh's Curse

Zorro

NES

Adventures of Lolo 3

Metroid

Ninja Gaiden 2

Castlevania 3

Rygar

DuckTales 2

Sega Master System

Golden Axe Warrior

Sega Genesis

Phantasy Star III

Phantasy Star IV

Castle of Illusion

Ecco

Ecco 2

Quack Shot

SNES

Castlevania IV

Final Fantasy III

Secret of Mana 2 / SD3

Turbo Duo

Keith Courage

Dungeon Explorer

Legendary Axe

Neutopia II

Gate of Thunder

Lords of Thunder

Dracula X

Ys IV

NICE

Actually Private Eye is one I think about along with the Ninja Gaiden games, Rygar and the later Lolo games too. Seems we think alike on some of these.

• Like 1

There really isn't much I haven't played.. but I'd say for me, Phantasy Star IV is a big one.. which is a strange thing since I considered myself the biggest Phantasy Star fanboy from the SMS days playing every game as they came out until Phantasy Star III. I think I just fell out of love with the game by then due to PSIII being mostly average.. but PS4 supposedly redeemed all that. I need to play it! :)

Also, Castlevania. Never played it, but I did play CV 2 on up.

• Like 2

Due to the lack of time on my hands I'll stick mostly to what I currently own. I missed them when they retailed, but I've had them since then or shortly after (bought into the next generation.)

NES: Mega Man VI, Dragon Quest/Warrior IV

SNES: Chrono Trigger, Contra III, Ogre Battle, Yoshi's Island

Gameboy: Final Fantasy Legend III (finished first 2, never got to it despite being better.) Kid Icarus 2

GBC: Dragon Warrior III

N64: Goemons Great Adventure

NGPC: Meta Slug 1st and 2nd Mission

** It came within the last 5 years but I do have N64 Sin & Punishment and Bangaioh with an adapter, finished neither unfortunately but I really should

Anything (2001-present) GBA/GC era forward I've left plenty unfinished, 60hrs/wk of work, or later marriage/kid pretty much shot the chances of finishing most games so I won't even bother making a list that depressingly large. I just play for fun now, not so much to finish unfortunately. Making me even think about that makes me think I should just sell off all my stuff other than a system or two tops so I can force myself to focus on something at least.

• Like 1

Gameboy: Final Fantasy Legend III (finished first 2, never got to it despite being better.) Kid Icarus 2

GBC: Dragon Warrior III

FFL III is one that I have a copy of. My wife has played it a ton, but I've never gotten into it. I actually did play through DW III about 9 years ago. It was a nice experience.

• Like 1

FFL III is one that I have a copy of. My wife has played it a ton, but I've never gotten into it. I actually did play through DW III about 9 years ago. It was a nice experience.

All of them I've played to a varying degree except that one. I remember years ago buying them after the fact all at once with some sale at a place like Software Etc which were pushing them out. FFA I finished just using its papers, the first 2 Legends a mix of that and Nintendo printed guides within their own guide books/NP mag. #3 I only dabbled slightly on an emulator in the 90s with and liked it a whole lot more without the breaking weapons and the overall better system, but I never put more than an hour or two tops into it. The rest got some fair distance but not finished except for MM6 which I scratched fairly little too, just not as slight as FFL3. Of all the stuff on that list, FFL3 and Goemon I don't have anymore.

• Like 1

There really isn't much I haven't played.. but I'd say for me, Phantasy Star IV is a big one.. which is a strange thing since I considered myself the biggest Phantasy Star fanboy from the SMS days playing every game as they came out until Phantasy Star III. I think I just fell out of love with the game by then due to PSIII being mostly average.. but PS4 supposedly redeemed all that. I need to play it! :)

Also, Castlevania. Never played it, but I did play CV 2 on up.

I played Phantasy Star II and III as a kid but I never beat them then. I know what you mean about III, I'm not looking forward to playing that one with its annoying battle music and dumb enemy designs/animations, but I want to complete the series. I started and finished the original about a year ago and I finally beat Phantasy Star II yesterday. Man, that game has such a unique atmosphere to it. It's a shame they never continued on with the original series. At least I have IV to look forward to. I've never played that one before, but I hear its good!

Edited by Ramses
  • Like 1

NICE

Actually Private Eye is one I think about along with the Ninja Gaiden games, Rygar and the later Lolo games too. Seems we think alike on some of these.

Yeah seems like it. There are also several on your list that I finished in the past 2 years including Riddle of the Sphinx, Link's Awakening, Super Mario Bros 3, and AD&D Cloudy Mountain. Have you been counting any games that loop? That's something I've been considering. I marked down looping Thunder Castle, but I'm not sure about doing it for all looping games.

• Like 1

Yeah seems like it. There are also several on your list that I finished in the past 2 years including Riddle of the Sphinx, Link's Awakening, Super Mario Bros 3, and AD&D Cloudy Mountain. Have you been counting any games that loop? That's something I've been considering. I marked down looping Thunder Castle, but I'm not sure about doing it for all looping games.

Sorta - for games that loop, I usually just play until I get my fill. For example with arcade Donkey Kong Jr, I played it until I beat all of the individual stages. It doesn't "loop" after that, but that was enough dedication to that game for me. I'll still play it every so often of course. I've gotta REALLY like a game to develop enough mastery to loop it. RC Pro Am comes to mind as a game where I've actually accomplished that and Gyruss from the list above. I guess Maze a Tron is another example.

• Like 1

Anything (2001-present) GBA/GC era forward I've left plenty unfinished, 60hrs/wk of work, or later marriage/kid pretty much shot the chances of finishing most games so I won't even bother making a list that depressingly large. I just play for fun now, not so much to finish unfortunately. Making me even think about that makes me think I should just sell off all my stuff other than a system or two tops so I can force myself to focus on something at least.

Actually, making a list helped me to go from depressed to in control. Instead of just having a massive backlog that I will literally never get to, I can now prioritize and play those games that I've always wanted to come back to. It helped me feel more free'd up, like I was actually doing something that made me happy as opposed to sorting through an impossible task. Getting a specific system out and playing some of the games from my list feels great and makes me appreciate my collection even more.

• Like 1

Wizardry was my main RPG series when I was younger, so aside from Ultima 3, I missed a lot of the Ultima and Might & Magic games. I've since played most Ultima but I got distracted a little ways into Ultima 6 and never finished it or the rest of the series, and I've never played much M&M at all. I also need to play the later (5-8 ) Wizardry games.

I'd like to actually beat Pitfall someday. Just need to sit down and really do the work, I suppose. Same with Montezuma's Revenge.

I've played through Ocarina of Time a couple of times, but Majora's Mark is the one that gets talked up a lot that I've never even played.

Others that come to mind: Shamus, Yoshi's Island, Metal Gear 2 (MSX), Contra Hard Corps, most of Treasure's output, Impossible Mission, the Starflight games and Star Control 2, Privateer and Wing Commander 3-5...

Edited by Duke75
  • Like 1

Actually, making a list helped me to go from depressed to in control. Instead of just having a massive backlog that I will literally never get to, I can now prioritize and play those games that I've always wanted to come back to. It helped me feel more free'd up, like I was actually doing something that made me happy as opposed to sorting through an impossible task. Getting a specific system out and playing some of the games from my list feels great and makes me appreciate my collection even more.

I'm the opposite, made me feel like I had this huge burden because of the lack of time. It's why in the last couple years I've liquidated all my Sega systems (SMS, Gen, DC, GG) other than this closed SMS/GG handheld, got rid of the Wii. Didn't keep the PS3 games or PS4 just the consoles for movies, and various other odds and ends one off tabletop and handhelds. Also slimmed out the NES, SNES, N64, GC, GB/C/A to what I care most about, also got rid of the DS games and many 3DS too. I just felt compelled to get more stuff for them which I'd end up using once or twice then feel bad about being there to rot, a waste that some one else would appreciate and bother with more. I used the list as a kill sheet. There are some like those I showed, I kept almost all those few, and I'd even get back a DW4 cart again (or DQ4 if I bugged with DS once more) same with Goemon 64 too.

• Like 1

Colecovision / SGM / MSX

Alcazar

Penguin Adventure

King's Valley

Kiong's Valley is a real challenge. It's so easy to get trapped.

I've kept a list for around 6-7 years now, and in that time I've finished maybe 20 games off of it. The trouble is that the list grows much faster than the progress that I do make. And while some of the older entries on the list might only take a few hours to complete, the new additions to the list tend to take much longer.

That being said, a few of the games near the top of my list are:

Final Fantasy VII

Mario 64

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Castle of Illusion (Genesis)

Adventures of Lomax

Resident Evil 3

Contra 4

Some of the more prominent titles I've gone back to and finished in recent years:

Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Curse (Master System)

Resident Evil: Veronica Code X

Yoshi's Island

Gradius (PCE)

Snatcher (Sega CD)

Beyond Good & Evil

Devil May Cry 3

Marathon

Final Fantasy VI

Eternal Darkness

These are only games that I haven't finished before. Part of the problem is that I'm always going back to my favorites to play through them again. It's hard to work on Doom 64 when I'd rather take Jag AvP for yet another spin. And it wouldn't be Autumn if I didn't play through a few of the Castlevanias. Plus there are always new games coming out that I want to try. Resident Evil 7 and the God of War reboot are on my list too, but I only mentioned retro titles here.

• Like 2

Kiong's Valley is a real challenge. It's so easy to get trapped.

Indeed. As a puzzle game, it really should have had continues or unlimited lives. Those later levels are tough and you need to spend a lot of time on them to figure them out. This is one of those games that I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to complete or not - at least without watching a walkthrough.

Edited by Ramses

On SMS phantasy star 1 is a must play... One of the best 8 bit games ever made. I just learned about a re-translation of the game (from the Japanese version). It's claimed that it's a much deeper story and a MUST play. You will need to play it via a emulator or a Everdrive.

I am getting a system setup so I can play it on my large 4K tv...looking forward... Oh, Red Dead 2 or Phantasy Star Re-translation...hmmm lol

http://www.smspower.org/Translations/PhantasyStar-SMS-EN

In case you want to know more...

• Like 1