IGNORED

Side2 Cartridge Capabilities

jnharmon

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you know whether the Side2 cartridge is capable of emulating SDX and a pass-through cartridge (like Basic XE, Action, or MAC/65) simultaneously.

I am looking for a way without internal modifications to get SDX and the use of one of the above mentioned cartridges. Since the Side2 doesn't have a pass-through, I obviously can't use my original carts.

If Side2 doesn't support this, are there any other options available that do?

Thanks,

Jason

One option is to flash this to an Atarimax Maxflash 8MBit cart (or load it on any Utimate cart type of device).

It gives you just what you're asking for, SDX with 3 OSS carts (Mac/65, BASIC XL, and Action) that can be

selected from the boot menu and loaded piggyback style on top of SDX.

You can try it in an emulator. Once it boots (after selecting from the menu), you'll be in SDX; then type CAR,

and you'll be in your selected piggyback cartridge, and DOS gets you back.

The only downside is that is uses an older version of SDX (v4.46). But it's still a fairly new version, from 2013.

OSS Cart Bundle & SDX AtariMax.rom

Edited by MrFish

I was looking on the AtariMax forums, and it looks like there were several updates to this cart for fixing various bugs.

I checked the latest one there against the version I posted above and there was 1 byte difference (and mine was also

dated 2013, where this one is dated 2014). Not sure what the difference is about, but here's the latest ROM, and the

ATR flasher (needed if you don't have a MaxFlash USB cartridge programmer, for flashing the ROM).

SDX446OssCartsMix_fixed.atr.zip

You can find out more on the AtariMax forums.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Do any of you know if this cartridge is available from anywhere?

https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=super-spartados-pcb

It appears to be exactly what I'm looking for and would allow me to use it with my existing OSS (and other) carts.

oh no, I was thinking of doing 1 for christmas... I would think she will make more... you will have to ask...

• Like 1

Do any of you know if this cartridge is available from anywhere?

https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=super-spartados-pcb

It appears to be exactly what I'm looking for and would allow me to use it with my existing OSS (and other) carts.

oh no, I was thinking of doing 1 for christmas... I would think she will make more... you will have to ask...

It states right on the linked page that the Super SpartaDOS PCB is available on backorder, so it will take sufficient orders for a production run.

Another extremely cool solution for this is the TurboFreezer 2011 which gives a lot of other features too.

It has so too many features to list here, but it has a nice amount of 'rom' on board to emulate stacked carts in SDX. Also I had succes with having SDX running inside the freezer and adding a coding cart in the Atari itself. I'm not sure if that works with any coding cart, but it worked with Synassembler. Inside the Freezer I have several 'combinations' stored. Like:

* Mac65 + SDX

* Assembler Editor + SDX

* Action! + SDX

You can always update SDX, it is a pretty smart solution.

IIRC there is an interest poll going on right now in producing a new batch of Freezers. Don't miss it!

It will bring you also:

* 512KB External, but XE compatible memory expansion

* Freezing facility (with several slots, saving to and loading from external storage)

* A very nice memory-map/monitor

* Internal DOS commands

* OS B setting

It also has space for other ROM files, and a RAM in which you can design your own cartridge software.

The only thing it lacks is a real time clock, so you still have to find a solution for that then.

• Like 8

It states right on the linked page that the Super SpartaDOS PCB is available on backorder, so it will take sufficient orders for a production run.

Actually, she accepted my order and is building one. It just takes longer to fulfill since she doesn't keep them in stock and has to order the parts and assemble.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...