IGNORED

Which Portland arcade should I visit?

Cynicaster

I just learned that I will be traveling to the Portland area for work in a few weeks. I'd like to try to get out to an arcade while I'm there, so I am wondering if any Atariagers with experience can recommend one. I know Ground Kontrol is out there which I've heard mentioned a hundred times but know nothing about, and it looks like there are a few others (QuarterWorld, High Score, and...?).

I'd just visit multiple places if I had time but I think I'll probably be lucky if I can find the time to visit one spot, so I want it to count.

My criteria:

- primary interest is arcade games from late 70s to late 80s. Some early 90s stuff is OK, but I would prioritize Robotron over the Simpsons any day of the week

- quality over quantity: I'd prefer a smaller collection of classic machines in great working order over a huge collection of games where half of them have busted joysticks

- I'll be in a rental car so easy access via car (i.e. somewhere obvious for a clueless tourist to park) would be very nice

Anyone?

Ground Kontrol is spectacular; I have not been to Quarterworld, but have heard it is very good. Both have similar mix of arcade / pins and have plenty of 80's machines and nothing from 70's.If you can only do one, I can't see how you could go wrong with GK as their games are usually in good repair.

Edited by Chuck D. Head
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it ended up being Ground Kontrol. When I booked my travel for the trip, I was given the address of the hotel I was to use, and when I hit up Google to see how far way the hotel is from GK, amazingly, it was just a 5 minute walk. I was able to walk over there 3 different times. Very cool place, so glad I went.

• Like 2