IGNORED

Safe power supplies?

E474

Hi,

Can anyone confirm these power supplies are OK to use, they're a mixture of UK and continental European plugs, so types C, E/F and G? I've numbered the PSUs in the pictures, hopefully this should make things easier.

Thanks!

Don't use #6, that's the "ingot" supply that can take your attached system/hardware with it when it fails.

• Like 2

Hi,

I'm not sure whether it counts as an Ingot PSU or not. The Ingot has the FAQ write up (from Atari mania, linked to from scitari's blog) of:

Atari#: C061982 (nicknames: Type II, Ingot, Ugly Klunker)
"Power Supply"
UL Listed: 94H6, Made in Taiwan
Type: DV-512CM
Input: 120V AC 60Hz 40W
Output: +5V DC 1.5A
Shipped with: 600XL,800XL (earlier 1984 units by Atari, Inc.)
Works with/NOT recommended for: 600XL,800XL,65XE,130XE,XEgs
NOTE: This unit is known for its ability to fail in such a way that it can
damage your computer. While the 600XL/800XL are somewhat immune,
the XE computers are particularly vulnerable to such damage.
http://mcurrent.name/powersupplies/61982-Ingot.jpg

But the PSU I have (number 6 in the uploaded photos) is a C061763-11 (type C plug continental European), described as:

Atari#: C061763-11 (CO61763-11)

Type: DV-515UP, Made in Taiwan
Input: 220V~50Hz
Output: 5V=/1.5A 7.5VA
Use with: 600XL,800XL,65XE,130XE,XEgs,800XE
http://mcurrent.name/powersupplies/61763-11-DV-515UP.jpg
http://mcurrent.name/powersupplies/61763-11-DV-515UP-top.jpg

There's a thread mentioning this PSU (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221488-euro-power-supplies/) - but it doesn't really say one way or another if this is a bad PSU. They look identical, but they have different electrical characteristics, so most likely different components, but I'm guessing no one actually knows which internal component has failed catastrophically, due to them being binned when they fail.

Probably safest to put it aside in a plastic bag, and label it as potentially bad.

Hah, 600XL/800XL's are definitely not more immune to 11+VDC (AC?) going down the wire into components intolerant of more than about 5.5V! The regular stream of hardware troubleshooting posts on these forums for victim machines is evidince enough...

In reality, if that 220V brick is heavy/filled with epoxy like the 120V ingot, the potential for failure is the same due to the design intent for the heat to be wicked away from components by being in sealed contact with the epoxy fill, but heating/cooling over time causes the epoxy to expand/contract leaving air-gaps where components can overheat and fail. Time has proven this is a bad design, so the potential is there for risk.

Good source of a cable with a nice DIN7 connector on it to attach to a modern psu though. :)

• Like 2

The Ingot unfortunately shares a part number with other supplies that are good.

You must use physical inspection. Appearance, and Weight. (Should not feel like a heavy brick).

This is a serious issue. These Ingots are damaging our computers.

Having said that, IIRC, the Ingots are not seen on the 220/230/240 side of things.

Be very careful if you have a questionable supply. Use a voltmeter. Check it out.

no he has a 220v 50hz ingot.... it must go bye bye, if memory serves, the step downs transformer is different but the components are nearly the same. I would say abbuc would know, or uk repair person can verify.. ingots are crap on either side of the pond

Hi,

I've red stickered it, but don't really want to throw it out on general principles. Will try and ask at abbuc, especially as it has a European plug attached. I'm pretty sure I picked it up with a working 800XL, and a couple of dead 130XEs (one with a bad memory chip, the other immune to a Sys-Check 2), but haven't checked the output voltages, so not sure how defective it currently is.

Taiwan uses 110V electricity, so I am hoping the 240V version was engineered a bit more cautiously, though it sounds like it was a design issue causing the problem.

I'm not sure whether it counts as an Ingot PSU or not. The Ingot has the FAQ write up (from Atari mania, linked to from scitari's blog) of:

Atari#: C061982 (nicknames: Type II, Ingot, Ugly Klunker)

"Power Supply"

UL Listed: 94H6, Made in Taiwan

Type: DV-512CM

Input: 120V AC 60Hz 40W

Output: +5V DC 1.5A

Shipped with: 600XL,800XL (earlier 1984 units by Atari, Inc.)

Works with/NOT recommended for: 600XL,800XL,65XE,130XE,XEgs

Hah, 600XL/800XL's are definitely not more immune to 11+VDC (AC?) going down the wire into components intolerant of more than about 5.5V! The regular stream of hardware troubleshooting posts on these forums for victim machines is evidince enough...

In my defense, I wrote that based on multiple case reports at the time. People were saying that XLs generally weren't as thoroughly fried by the ingot as XEs were, in their experience.

But I've gone ahead and removed the suggestion that the XLs might be somewhat safer than XEs, I think we're better off without it. Thanks.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but did anyone ever actually clear up if the UK/European power supply C061763 (240v~50Hz 0.11A +5V 1.5A) is the same as the dreaded US C061982 'Ingot'?

I have received one with an Atari 800XL I just got off eBay, and don't want to pass it on when I re-sell if it could take out the computer!

I can't find any conclusive evidence that it's actually the same as the bad US one - the only thing against it is it shares the same form.

4 hours ago, cawley1 said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but did anyone ever actually clear up if the UK/European power supply C061763 (240v~50Hz 0.11A +5V 1.5A) is the same as the dreaded US C061982 'Ingot'?

I have received one with an Atari 800XL I just got off eBay, and don't want to pass it on when I re-sell if it could take out the computer!

I can't find any conclusive evidence that it's actually the same as the bad US one - the only thing against it is it shares the same form.

I have read that the European power supplies have stricter standards, which include a thermal limiting fuse reducing the risk of thermal failure.

I do notice that the image lists a secondary part# of DV-515UK while the 120V model secondary part# is DV-512CM.

It sounds like it's OK - I have tried it with a PSU tester and it outputs the same voltage as the other types of PSU I have here, nothing strange.

Oddly, I have another type here I can't find anything about - it's part number is CO70046-01. It looks like the original external ST power supply, but in a shorter case.

It has;

Input : 240v~/50Hz/22VA

Output : 5v - 1.0A

Type : PS35 P/N CO 70046- 01

Magpower Manufacturers PTE LTD

Made in Singapore

Complies with BS 5850

For use with Atari computer only

Date 4-87

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cawley1 said:

It sounds like it's OK - I have tried it with a PSU tester and it outputs the same voltage as the other types of PSU I have here, nothing strange.

Oddly, I have another type here I can't find anything about - it's part number is CO70046-01. It looks like the original external ST power supply, but in a shorter case.

It has;

Input : 240v~/50Hz/22VA

Output : 5v - 1.0A

Type : PS35 P/N CO 70046- 01

Magpower Manufacturers PTE LTD

Made in Singapore

Complies with BS 5850

For use with Atari computer only

Date 4-87

That's a new one to me!  

I have power supply details here: https://mcurrent.name/powersupplies/atari8bitpower.txt

Would you be able to make pictures of your C070046 ?

On 5/14/2023 at 10:08 PM, hunmanik said:

That's a new one to me!  

I have power supply details here: https://mcurrent.name/powersupplies/atari8bitpower.txt

Would you be able to make pictures of your C070046 ?

Hi,
I was looking at pictures on your site - I think Atarimania links them from their faq.

I'll take a couple of pictures for you, I am sure I have had this style of PSU in the past, so it can't be totally rare here in the UK.

Will let you know when done.
Thanks,

Paul

1 hour ago, baktra said:

If we look at this from another perspective, is any consumer grade power supply, older than 30 years safe?

The 9V AC-AC transformers for the 400/800/1200XL and floppies should be. There isn’t much to go wrong with transformer windings. 

As for the others, afaik it depends mainly on the quality of capacitors used whether they still work. And even if they quit, it still can be „safe“ unless their electrical design results in too high a voltage coming out the computer end.