IGNORED

Thanksgiving...

DavidMil

Close... it was started by indigenous people and migrants from a few countries, coming together in mutual thanks and helping each other out. While it isn't taught, they traded and purchased from each other, by way of goods, skills, and sometimes trinkets. They shared some lands, and bought some rights or land from each other. They bartered, they shared faith, stories, and meals together from time to time.

Life for the people at that time wasn't good, look out for the recorded illness and death rate of the folks until they were able to barter for land and spread out. The density of the settlement was perfect for illness to ravage them. But they were honest people of faith, they didn't take all that they needed. They only spread out after they made deals and pacts with the indigenous people.

Once all of that was settled, they lived in relative harmony.. and gave thanks to 'grandfather' or the great creator together, both accepting of the bounty and gifts bestowed them by their ancestors and creator. It became a tradition. They continued to help each other out and the folks even helped the Indian neighbors fight off raiding and opposing indian tribes from far off. This continued for a time until other settlers arrived under authority of the crown... but those are stories for another time...

I give thanks to, the Indian nation who honored Grandfather, I give thanks to the puritan people who's faith in their creator helped them through. I give thanks to the bond both peoples shared to survive and give this great nation a start. I give thanks for the example they set, and the mighty fine food we get to eat each year in that tradition. :)

We need to remember that food, Turkey, Duck, Deer, Pheasant, Fish, Corn, Vegetables, tree nuts, and berries. I will dare say some of the limited breads and stuff sounded off putting to me. But what do I know? I wasn't there!

I also give thanks to David, a kind and good soul who reminded us of ThanksGiving!

Thank you David,

Your friend lost in time,

-Doc Brown__

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 7

We need to remember that food, Turkey, Duck, Deer, Pheasant, Fish, Corn, Vegetables, tree nuts, and berries. I will dare say some of the limited breads and stuff sounded off putting to me. But what do I know? I wasn't there!

Your friend lost in time,

-Doc Brown__

Oh Heavens!

No pumpkin Pie? No Stuffing? No Green Bean Casserole?

Man! Life was tuff in those days!

I also am thankful for their coming together, and rather amazed that Iron Age and Stone Age people got along. Had to be through Religion and respect!

And Thank you Doc for the kind words! I hope you also enjoy a day of peace (and a gazillion calories)!

David

• Like 1

Hi David Doc and all those celebrating Thanksgiving, sadly I watch as the UK stops knowing how to say simple please and thank you's let alone celebrate camaraderie and the mixing of people for a better good..

But there's enough of us looking to be united to keep it going so Happy Thanksgiving over there, its lovely that there's people who understand the whole notion of what its about and I wish there was a whole heap more of it every where..

Happy Hols to all in the US..

• Like 5

Just so we all know, Thanksgiving was started my a bunch of migrants from a foreign country...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

DavidMil

They were settlers, not migrants. There's a major difference. Settlers create civilization from wilderness. Migrants move to existing civilization to enjoy economic benefits.

• Like 8

They were settlers, not migrants. There's a major difference. Settlers create civilization from wilderness. Migrants move to existing civilization to enjoy economic benefits.

As authoritative as that sounds, that pre-supposes facts not in evidence; namely, that there was "wilderness" rather than "civilization" in the target lands. And, let's be brutally frank here, there were thriving and ancient civilizations all over the Americas well before European and British migrants moved in. For those who didn't pay much attention to school beyond the jingoistic crap taught in American public schools of the 20th century, here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Columbian_era

And anyway, regardless of these distinctions, happy Thanksgiving to all our Atari community, wherever you live and whatever your ancestry. :)

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 3

Happy Thanksgiving. And I celebrate it myself as they did the first time, no history, just giving thanks to a God or higher power, or mother earth, or whatever for what was provided to you from the world. Or maybe each other...whatever, it's not about history and all that jazz, it certainly wasn't back then. It's about being thankful for life and living, in my humble opinion. And they may not call it Thanksgiving, but a lot of cultures have a time of celebration for basically the same reasons.

When it comes to history and what really happened where, it is my opinion that only basic events and times can be trusted and reason why or how cannot, because you never know if the recorded history is unbiased or biased, and people have been trying to erase or change recorded and evidential history since civilization began until this day. Even physical evidence like an account on an old stone tablet from 3000 years ago may be biased, and always from the perspective of the writer or whomever might be controlling them.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 5

When it comes to history and what really happened where, it is my opinion that only basic events and times can be trusted and reason why or how cannot, because you never know if the recorded history is unbiased or biased, and people have been trying to erase or change recorded and evidential history since civilization began until this day. Even physical evidence like an account on an old stone tablet from 3000 years ago may be biased, and always from the perspective of the writer or whomever might be controlling them.

Yes, exactly. Most of the "history" we know is probably a combination of 10% real history and 90% propaganda. I've always wished we could find a way to send "video recording probes" back in time to record actual historical events, from every perspective. I'm sure we'd find out that most of what we think we know is a total lie. One thing I know for sure - never believe a Hollywood movie's version of historical events.

As authoritative as that sounds, that pre-supposes facts not in evidence; namely, that there was "wilderness" rather than "civilization" in the target lands.

One only has to look at the irrefutable proof of Montezuma's Revenge. Look how advanced they were - they had rolling skulls and everything! :D

• Like 5

At least the Pokanoket, Wampanoag, and settler/migrants agree on this one. How incredible is it that they arrived at the place where one of the only two indigenous people in the whole of the land could speak any or know some of the same language and ways of the English?

I will stick with the story that all have been re-counting and have recorded up through the ages. I won't be going with any newer. altered, it was all bad generations removed sentiments that have started. There is enough common shared re counting, recorded information to show it's likely to have been true all around from mostly all involved. As noted until things changed much later on....

Thank you to all! Thank you to Grandfather, Thank you Creator, Thank you for plenty! Thank you for life! Thank for the food!

Thank You!

Edited by _The Doctor__

I really do appreciate the sincerity of rational dialog concerning Thanksgiving and its origin, thank you. I'm want to wish everyone regardless of where they are in this world a Happy Thanksgiving.

Mike

Eeeh... you don't actually think thanksgiving is celebrated here in Europe do you? Or in Africa? LOL :)

Eeeh... you don't actually think thanksgiving is celebrated here in Europe do you? Or in Africa? LOL :)

Ah, no, but to be clear. I'm speaking to all those who observe the occasion, especially to our US service personnel station all about the world.

Mike

• Like 2

Happy thanksgiving everyone, as a Brit living in America, thanksgiving is a relatively new holiday for me and Ive yet to get into the traditional thanksgiving arguments; I just enjoy having two turkey days every year!

As John Leguizamo said...

post-62759-0-59706500-1542906861_thumb.jpeg

If you havent seen his Netflix special Latin history for Morons Id highly recommend it.

That's funny, when doing work in a call center, I had a friend from the Federal Republic of Nigeria, who gave thanks as a holiday on some other day of the year. He brought some traditional African foods to share with me... I couldn't identify some the strange to me flavors, it was interesting, and some was quite good, mashed roots and tubers of different kinds were included.

I gave thanks with him. We shared food. I enjoyed the experience. He was a very kind, charismatic, man of faith.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Almost all tribes I have had the pleasure of meeting or interacting with in the modern day have explicitly compelled me to never lump them in with the latino realm... they gave me an education about peoples from the south lands fighting with and taking from them, and others who spoke language of the same tongue from the seas doing the same....

This gave me pause, then I realized the accounting could be somewhat true.. the Spanish from Spain... and the Spanish from Mexico et al are of the same source... think Conquistador!

So they fought a battle on both fronts for their lands, their lives, the hunting, the fishing grounds, their women.

Perhaps you should at least put the Conquistador hats on for the picture.... (More warped history)

They thanked Grandfather for their victory over both invaders time and time again... You really need to spend time listening to the elders before they pass away, and this new 'history' from Hollywood starts gets believed by unknowing folks who wish for a thing that was not.

Your posted picture was inaccurate, as is most of the material involved. Please approach tribal council for permission so as not to trespass on the land, and speak with the elders. If granted, you will have a very nice experience and gain some understanding. It was tough on all fronts, all have done wrong, their were great misunderstandings. But their were joys and victories, and thankfulness. Many were friends, many chose to join and leave their nations. Many did not. They almost all speak of thanks to Grandfather and their ancestors.

Take the time and do this if you can, the cost is negligible . Don't be offended if permission is denied. You may ask another tribe or different time and be granted access. Remember you are in another nation when you enter. You will find some that will flat out tell you they were some of the most terrible and violent aggressors in truth and you will find others that say the were benevolent pacifists all. The truth is probably both! The number of honored dead are on both sides.

And yet they are still thankful!

Edited by _The Doctor__

As a European, i'm always baffled by this event. How can you be thankful for what ended up as an uninvited, aggressive mass migration that applied genocide on the native Americans and wildlife, stole a complete continent, brought diseases, and used African slaves...? Not even get me started on the religion they brought... i do regard the USA/Canada as one of the best places to be alive as a human being in our time, but it's history is as dark as Europe's, and celebrating this seems misplaced. Am i wrong in thinking this?

Edited by jowi

Well, I finished off the first meal (just the wife and I). Now it's off to my nephews house for my side of the families Thanksgiving Day meal.

From there we go to our son's house for my wife's side of the family Thanksgiving! My wife has said she will not roll me into the house this year.

I just hope I don't 'POP' somewhere along the way!

Again,

Happy Thanksgiving to all! (even if we are a few months late).

David

• Like 2

@jowi.... yes you are wrong... please look to the history of the world... and then look to the history for this point in time. as outlined and easily proven by the people involved.. As for the rest... glass houses my friend. You seem determined make a stink here, the thread is about thankfulness. Please consider starting a separate political/justice thread of your choosing. You could easily do a little research. Just because less than 1% did something wrong at the beheadst of of the crown, does not a whole people condemn. You also do not appear to know the origin of the slaves, slavery or that many were already slaves sold by their tribes in their country of origin, which their leaders of today acknowledge and apologized for.

• Like 6

Can't we just enjoy the holidayor, if you're outside the United States, let others enjoy it in peacewithout all the soapboxing and virtue signaling? This isn't the place for it.

I'm preemptively locking this thread before it gets any more controversial than it already is.

• Like 9