IGNORED

Secretum Labyrinth Dark Castle teaser video

peteym5

Cartridges are harder to copy in that you need a separate piece of equipment to do so. You can try doing in DOS, but most cases, trying to plug in a cartridge with power on, usually crashes the computer, could fry one of the EPROMS, or cause the flash memory to erase. Plus will only copy one bank, if it is a bank switching cartridge. I am not aware that I said anything about copy protection, nor would I discuss it if such programming existed.

There was something going on in the earlier stages of development of Venture. KJMANN was working with a few other people that I did not know about to port stuff to the 5200 and make other changes. I have my own download of this and checked it out before making a request to take it down. It is an earlier version that had bugs corrected later on. We will be releasing our own official 5200 Venture soon that will have a manual, real label, and packaging. Since that download is a pirated copy, and violation of our copyright I will not be providing any technical support. I am upset that someone also removed all the names and copyright notice from that version.

Edited by peteym5

Too many cooks by the sound of it.

Plus: distribution on cartridge is no serious impediment to duplication these days, as exhaustively pointed out already. The only thing it (along with various other factors, including the marketing strategy and the attitude towards the potential customer base) impedes is people's desire to purchase the product.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 3

Pay per Downloads is not how we do business. Contact Video61 if you want to inquire on the policy further.

I'm amazed that anyone is still making new games for the 8-bit with the intention of selling them, when there are so many amazing new productions being given away for free by the creators. Just to name a few examples of such: Yoomp!, Stunt Car Racer, AtariBlast, Laura, Pang, Crownland, and GunFright. And that was a short list only reflecting a mere fraction of the free games that have been released in recent history. However these do represent a new standard in game quality, truly pushing the edge on what the Atari can do, and greatly surpassing a lot of the mediocre stuff that was sold back in the 80's and 90's.

Personally for me to buy a game in this era, it would have to be exceptional, and it would have to be something that can be copied to my choice of media, because I don't use carts any more.

Good luck with your venture, and I wish you much success.

Here is a free game from me. http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=7079

The cartridge games have more screens, monsters, and more puzzles you need to solve inside the game.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1

I am hoping to get this together by March, I am having a few people checking things over right now. We are going to release Animal Keeper first, then we will be getting to this Game. Video 61 is also tied up with releasing my games ports for the Atari 5200.

• Like 1

Too many cooks by the sound of it.

Plus: distribution on cartridge is no serious impediment to duplication these days, as exhaustively pointed out already. The only thing it (along with various other factors, including the marketing strategy and the attitude towards the potential customer base) impedes is people's desire to purchase the product.

I read these posts, and have to think about the 8-bit guy. He easily sold over 300 copies of Planet X2 for the C64, on floppy, and each copy came with a digital download. I think they were $40 a piece, and after he sold out, he still offers the digital download for $15.

He was able to parlay the success of that one game to a Kickstarter for the MS-DOS version, where he raised of $100,000 on a goal of $30,000.

Granted, he has a big following from his Youtube videos, so that helps. And the C64 & MS-DOS audience dwarf the Atari community, so I'm sure that is a big plus.

If you are wanting to make money making games, you would be farther ahead switching platforms and expanding distribution to include floppy and digital downloads. As much as I like new software being created for my favorite computer, I'm never going to purchase something from Video61.

• Like 4

To be honest. I think that the making money motivation of the story is almost always in every situation a bad start. It is not a creative or inspiring factor. The reason I am pulled towards a production is the creativity, the enthusiasm, the dedication a coder or producer puts in his or her work. Let me name Jacobus as an example. His Dungeon hunt game is one of my favourites because this guy cares about quality and takes his public serious. He designed an amazing box, invested even in fun goodies.

I can name several other projects here on AA and in other worlds where this dedication is the x factor (to me). When people care about what they do, when it is an authentic spirit and honest goal they try to reach, people are willing to pay real money. This prove all those Kickstarter projects where people try to gather public money for a new product they want to realise. They most of the time follow a dream. A lot of those products fail in the end. But almost never any bashing starts to happen. Because, I guess, the audience believed in the product too and the honest motivation of the inventors or initiators.

Anyway... The idea of protecting something you put a lot of time and work in is of course understandable and if you had some bad experience in the past I understand that did hurt your feelings or destroyed your trust in people.

But, and I mean this, this part of your motivation is killing the authenticity and the appealing of your work. It is too obvious V61 and/or you are trying to make money. You should show your audience that you want to contribute to a community and/or great Atari 8bit computer. A community and or system you LOVE. You don't love this community. You can not love somebody that you do not trust. Even when people here are still willing to help. Offering their services for free, you still qualify this as bashing.

And it is exact this attitude that is causing all the problems. Not peoples reactions. Not even a single 'ass' that illegally distributes one of your games will eventually cause real problems because a vast majority of people here want to contribute to keep their Atari alive. That is what people want.

If you show happiness, enthusiasm and that you care about the people, the atari and especially care about creating a fabulous and good game ... The attitude here will change.

People LOVE to support people who keep their Atari alive with new games. People LOVE to support people who share their enthusiasm for Atari 8bit.

I have brought up the download versions of the games in the past a lot. I know charliechaplin almost got a mental breakdown because he no longer could read any requests any longer. So don't be afraid... I won't ask for it anymore.

And... now I think of it. Perhaps that issue isn't even the case. I also bought cartridge game LAURA. Indeed on cart. Very cool game. Very good looking label. Very nice box. And... Very nice and enthusiastic people involved. See... I also buy carts. But I HAVE TO believe those people and their product. Their Atari love went direct into their product. That is the x factor V61 is completely lacking.

As long as V61 and related people do keep this business model I do not expect things to change.

And not 1, 2, 3 or 10000 fake accounts that keep repeating how they love V61 and their products will change that. You can't fake authenticity. Sorry.

Edited by ProWizard
  • Like 3

If you are wanting to make money making games, you would be farther ahead switching platforms and expanding distribution to include floppy and digital downloads. As much as I like new software being created for my favorite computer, I'm never going to purchase something from Video61.

Sorry, that is not how myself or Video 61 does business. This game will be available on Cartridge from AtariSales. Release date is to be announced. What has Video 61 done to you to deserve your lack of patronage? I have sold over 10 different games and 400 cartridges since I started working with Video61.

As stated, Secretum Labyrinth King's Gold is a free download as part of this Adventure game series. I provided it freely to the community in good faith and respect. I even re-posted it after KJMANN persuaded me to take it down. Posted in another thread. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231275-secretum-labyrinth-kings-gold/page-6

Let's keep things on a positive track here. You know our policy. End of discussion.

Edited by peteym5

Ever since I played games like Zelda on Nintendo, Phantasy Star on Sega, Dark Heart of Uukrul on Apple. I realize something that is lacking in those games is once you solve them, there is no point to go back and play the game. I got my cartridges free from friends after they solved these games.

During the development stages of Secretum Labyrinth Dark Castles, I was thinking what can I do about these one time solve game and make people feel there is more to these games. To bring the player to put the cartridge back in the machine and play again. I asked, can we move some of the items around, and then asked, can we change some of the exits leading to different rooms around? This is what had been done with the new Quest system. Five different Quests can be selected the title screen. Four with items in fixed locations, One with items placed randomly inside the game.

Secretum Labyrinth Dark Castles will also have a game save feature, so you do not need to solve the game in one sitting. It requires a formatted blank floppy disk. Do not use the floppy to store other files because Secretum Labyrinth reads and writes directly to sectors and will write over anything stored in those sectors.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1

@peteym5

You managed to nearly fix the sound gap thing. That is a good progress.

May I do a few suggestions about the music?

Medieval music is built upon different tones (keys) then our music. If you want to stay slightly 'closer to home' you might want to use music from the Renaissance. That is the era that folows directly on the Medieval era.

Renaissance music has a more recognizable time signature for us. It also breathes the atmosphere of castles and knights. In addition, renaissance music has harmony (which is initially lacking in medieval music because that was not possible with the old pythagorean tuning). With renaissance music you can have a fairly short melody repeated in a loop, without being actually annoying soon. I'll add a YouTube video with inspiration. If you want I can put something together on the atari. But not before 17 January, because at this moment I am still busy with an assignment for school (why am I not working on that right now lol??)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq126uwwOBo

Edited by ProWizard
  • Like 4

@peteym5

You managed to nearly fix the sound gap thing. That is a good progress.

May I do a few suggestions about the music?

Medieval music is built upon different tones (keys) then our music. If you want to stay slightly 'closer to home' you might want to use music from the Renaissance. That is the era that folows directly on the Medieval era.

Renaissance music has a more recognizable time signature for us. It also breathes the atmosphere of castles and knights. In addition, renaissance music has harmony (which is initially lacking in medieval music because that was not possible with the old pythagorean tuning). With renaissance music you can have a fairly short melody repeated in a loop, without being actually annoying soon. I'll add a YouTube video with inspiration. If you want I can put something together on the atari. But not before 17 January, because at this moment I am still busy with an assignment for school (why am I not working on that right now lol??)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq126uwwOBo

I had considered early Renaissance music because that is close to the same era. One issue though, we have to make sure the music is public domain or is royalty free and allowed for commercial use. Most cases Midi files are and the site does not state anything. It is easiest to find the Midi or MOD file and port them to RMT. The other issue is making instrument files that sound like they came from that era, they did not have electronic guitars, or rock band drum sets.

So it looks like my little experiment works, it reduces the noticeable gap going from one screen to another. I may try a few things to reduce it more as long as it does not generate other issues. It is not causing the game to crash or become unplayable after a certain point, and I am satisfied with that.