IGNORED

The official DEEP ZONE thread - Artrag/IntellivisionRevolution

Rev

• 1 month later...

I just got Deep Zone this week. Amazing game. I had ordered it back in late December from Rev along with Meteors, The Government Waffle Project and Sea Venture. I got three of the four games after waiting almost 4 months for delivery. I have e-mailed Rev since there was no note saying Sea Venture was delayed and that is why it was not included. I have gotten notes like this in the past from him. Has anyone else waited this long and not gotten all the games ordered from Rev? I hope he responds soon. I am thankful to finally get to play your game.

I just got Deep Zone this week. Amazing game. I had ordered it back in late December from Rev along with Meteors, The Government Waffle Project and Sea Venture. I got three of the four games after waiting almost 4 months for delivery. I have e-mailed Rev since there was no note saying Sea Venture was delayed and that is why it was not included. I have gotten notes like this in the past from him. Has anyone else waited this long and not gotten all the games ordered from Rev? I hope he responds soon. I am thankful to finally get to play your game.

Sea Venture is currently unavailable. It has been fully refunded. Thanks

• 4 years later...

Is there a manual for Deep Zone floating around somewhere? Trying to learn to play it... Is it just top side buttons for shooting and the bottom side buttons for smart bombs? Is there anything else secretive about this game? I heard on the video that there are bosses to defeat? 🤷‍♂️👍

My 'high' score so far is just over 1,700 points. What's considered a great score on this game? 

EDIT: So apparently pressing '2' gives instructions... 

Okay so how do you collect power pods and what do they do? 

2ND EDIT: Okay I figured out the power pods and kind of what they do.....

Cool game.... Pretty much just discovered it..... 👍

Edited by Rickster8
Added a little more text.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickster8 said:

Is there a manual for Deep Zone floating around somewhere? Trying to learn to play it... Is it just top side buttons for shooting and the bottom side buttons for smart bombs? Is there anything else secretive about this game? I heard on the video that there are bosses to defeat? 🤷‍♂️👍

My 'high' score so far is just over 1,700 points. What's considered a great score on this game? 

EDIT: So apparently pressing '2' gives instructions... 

Okay so how do you collect power pods and what do they do? 

2ND EDIT: Okay I figured out the power pods and kind of what they do.....

Cool game.... Pretty much just discovered it..... 👍

Here's the entire manual.

I wish I had purchased another copy of this game when it was available. 

I have meant to get back to it to see how far I can get,I am going to do that now that you have reignited my interest!👍

20231102_225833.jpg

20231102_225954.jpg

20231102_230017.jpg

Edited by wolfy62
  • Like 4

Thanks wolfy, yeah it's a pretty cool game, but I fear it's kind of gone unnoticed. It reminds me of a combination of Tempest and Blockade Runner. The music is great... 

If you don't know how to play this game it will be over quite fast which I'm betting steered alot of players away. But once you stick with it and learn how to notice where the pods are and how to get them, it becomes a very fun space shooter....

I have now played this in emulation and LTO Flash cart. The emulated version for me is better because you can see more. The cart version doesn't pick up all the shots fired and it was missing the halo you get when the pod of invincibility was achieved. And as such when I played my 12,170 score I had 3 ships left fighting against the first Boss Mothership and I lost all 3 ships to unknown explosions. Meaning either invisible asteroids killed me or the Boss Mothership shot me and the shots didn't show up visibly so I could not see them.... In emulation (Ultimate Flashback) I can see everything so I would have killed that ship somewhat easily. 

Fun game.... 👍

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Like 1

Here's a pic of my best score so far..... 👍

All I needed was a few more hits and I would have defeated the Boss Mothership, but 3 unidentified invisible flying objects killed my last 3 guys.... :( 

DeepZoneScore12170.jpg.948379ef5794cd433239bf2c3e7281f0.jpg

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

Thanks wolfy, yeah it's a pretty cool game, but I fear it's kind of gone unnoticed. It reminds me of a combination of Tempest and Blockade Runner. The music is great... 

If you don't know how to play this game it will be over quite fast which I'm betting steered alot of players away. But once you stick with it and learn how to notice where the pods are and how to get them, it becomes a very fun space shooter....

I have now played this in emulation and LTO Flash cart. The emulated version for me is better because you can see more. The cart version doesn't pick up all the shots fired and it was missing the halo you get when the pod of invincibility was achieved. And as such when I played my 12,170 score I had 3 ships left fighting against the first Boss Mothership and I lost all 3 ships to unknown explosions. Meaning either invisible asteroids killed me or the Boss Mothership shot me and the shots didn't show up visibly so I could not see them.... In emulation (Ultimate Flashback) I can see everything so I would have killed that ship somewhat easily. 

Fun game.... 👍

How can the emulated version be different?

1 hour ago, scalpel said:

How can the emulated version be different?

Maybe different isn't the correct word. When I play the game in emulation I score higher bcuz the game functions better. Meaning you see all the game. More is visible. There are other games where I have noticed the same. Like when I play Popeye, the Seahags don't always appear when I play it in cart format, they appear visibly when I play it in emulation. In cart format, suddenly you will just get hammers thrown at you with no warning. Playing in emulation I will see the Seahags which gives warning that they are going to throw a hammer. In cart format there usually is no warning, just a hammer being thrown which gives less time to react. I've noticed this in some other games as well.... 

• Like 2

Thanks to this thread I took a look back into this game.

My copy came from the 2018 IntyBasic programming contest,

from which the zip file included the game's source files.

I hadn't realized until poking into the sources a bit,

that the game uses Intellivoice!  So now I throw -v1

when invoking jzintv.

I used to play the Gorf arcade game back in my college days,

and distinctly remember the computerized voice.

The title screen has an option to play all the sound effects.

Would be neat if there was an option to play all

the voice effects.

• Like 2