IGNORED

Rage against the machine!?!

Video

We've all played a game, or used some program or hardware that just p!ssed us off I'm sure. But sometimes you just go a little,er,lotta bit overboard. So tell us about it.

Luckily I've not really done anything truly crazy, mostly just lots of temporary terrets and rage quitting. I have lost a few modern games due to the random saving lots of modern stuff likes to do, corrupting the save in the process of turning that $%#& off.

I did break a GameCube controller once, something about pressing buttons and it not doing anything just got my rage really going on that. WEll, seems the game just lags or something, all controllers (official Nintendo ones) did the same thing on that game. Heh, on well.

I think the worst one was late 90's though. I don't remember what, but I was trying to install something from a CD onto the computer. Yeah, it kept coming back with "insert disc in A: drive" eh, what the f#$% it's a cd, screw off with that a drive crap. This went on a while as I'm getting increasingly pissed off, reading instructions trying to figure out wtf is going on. I just had it, and it gave me that a drive carp one time to many. In a rage, I put my hand through the front of the computer and ripped the floppy drive out. "Mother f#$%r there's no #$@& God $- A drive you #%$@ &$%#" heh , yeah. "Insert disc in A: drive" (hulk mode activate) at this point I yanked the whole computer out of the stand, went outside and pretty much stomped it flat. I figure it was a lot like that scene from the office where the dudes murdered the copier, or whatever it was.

Wow, I was ultra pissed. To this day I wonder two things, one, how the computer kept working when I ripped out the floppy drive, I mean it's not an important part, but this was the 90's and there's no telling what else likely got yanked due to the typical rats nest of wires that inhabited our computers like a big pile of spaghetti at that time. And two, uh, how the hell I didn't get hurt. I mean I put holes in the drive from the force of grabbing it. That's gotta be a lot of force to punch holes through the various pcb in the drive just from grabbing it. I'd certainly never be able to intentionally do that.

So what's your best, or would that be worst, rage story?

I was at my sister's house by myself playing my brother in law's N64. I was sitting in the living room floor playing Mario 64. I'm not sure, now looking back on it, if I was doing the second Koopa the Quick race or what, but I kept getting blown off a ledge or falling while trying to long jump or something... anyway, I got frustrated and punched a pillow that was sitting on the floor next to me. I was sure that the pillow would be enough of a cushion to prevent myself from doing any damage (like hitting a punching bag). I was wrong. I broke the fifth metacarpal in my right hand. I had to get pins put in. I did eventually beat Mario 64 with all 120 stars, and I did it with pins sticking out of my hand. I told everyone that the phone was ringing and I was running to get the phone and hit my hand on the door.

There have been times I have thrown my NES controller at the system and hit it hard enough that the cartridge popped up. One time I threw it and missed the console and instead hit my VCR and cracked the plastic on the front (the clear plastic where the 12:00 flashes...) These could have been during any game, but probably something like Castlevania. I also have a TurboGrafx controller with bite marks in it from when I got particularly mad at some game and bit the controller.

It's all really pretty embarrassing, really. I don't get this mad anymore. If something frustrates me, I just turn it off and play something else or do something else entirely.

• Like 1

i have only one case where i did something like this- and i'm kind of embarrassed about it all these years later, lol.

i don't remember what game i was playing on the SNES, but i got mad enough i chucked the controller at the SNES and chipped a piece of the plastic by the controller port.

i'm with @eltigro- when i get frustrated now i play or go do something else for a while. ;)

I've taken out a fair share of SNES and N64 controllers over the years, but I know I never have killed a NES controller as they're bricks, and gamecube are pretty close to it too. Throwing them was never enough to do it anyway, but what really did it was when I really got put out of my mind in a rage I'd rip the thing out of the system, swing it around by a couple feet of cord and full tilt smash the damn thing into the side of my wooden entertainment cabinet. If it happened the survive the first time, lucky controller, but usually they'd explode on contact with buttons and pieces going all over. The most modern controller I've taken out was a PS3 one, I totally flipped over something like a decade ago and being wireless and me being used to wired I tossed it full tilt across the room it was in and it slammed into the front door which was metal and it just blew up.

I think I took out a Gameboy one before, pretty sure, but not positive. I don't think I've ever killed a system before. I rarely get pissed enough at something like that anymore but it happens and the first time in years recently it did. I got furious at Mystical Ninja 64 and I curb stomped the cart in the room here, and I was surprised it see it snapped clean in half horizontally which caught me by surprise as I was looking to vent not destroy.

I hardly ever threw a controller. The only time I can really remember was with the NES Ninja Gaiden. Getting to the final boss, dying, and being sent all the way back to 6-1. That was the first time I ever threw a controller. I was SO pissed. And after many weeks, I finally managed to beat the final boss only to find out it wasn't the final boss and I died again and got sent back to 6-1. That was the second time I through my controller. I was picturing a room full of Japanese developers laughing hysterically at me, pointing at me and giving me the finger. In my head, this was the sole reason they made the game - it wasn't to make money, they made it to troll kids because they hated them so much.

Edited by Ramses
  • Like 1

The only time I've ever broken anything due to a video game was during my first time playing through Ninja Gaiden II on Master Ninja mode. I can't remember exactly what set it off, but the end result was my 360 controller ending up in pieces.

Looking back on it, it still makes me cringe years later...Luckily, I've calmed down since college. ;)

I hardly ever threw a controller. The only time I can really remember was with the NES Ninja Gaiden. Getting to the final boss, dying, and being sent all the way back to 6-1. That was the first time I ever threw a controller. I was SO pissed. And after many weeks, I finally managed to beat the final boss only to find out it wasn't the final boss and I died again and got sent back to 6-1. That was the second time I through my controller. I was picturing a room full of Japanese developers laughing hysterically at me, pointing at me and giving me the finger. In my head, this was the sole reason they made the game - it wasn't to make money, they made it to troll kids because they hated them so much.

Ninja Gaiden is rough to learn, but becomes pretty easy once you have the muscle memory down. It's one of those games that feels great to play once you know what you're doing.