IGNORED

Can someone fix 800xl computers?

xucaen

I am willing to ship my 800xl within the US to have it fixed/refurbished. I can even include a prepaid postage label for return. I can pay with either PayPal or credit card, I'm thinking a couple hundred dollars to have it good as new is well worth it to me.

I am willing to ship my 800xl within the US to have it fixed/refurbished. I can even include a prepaid postage label for return. I can pay with either PayPal or credit card, I'm thinking a couple hundred dollars to have it good as new is well worth it to me.

You could just buy a new populated motherboard from Best Electronics for $70. I fixed my 800XL by replacing the POKEY, but luckily, I had some leftover IC's to try. :)

• Like 2

I'm looking for someone who can fix 800xl computers. Chips are socketed. I think the GTIA needs replacing, but I want someone to troubleshoot and fix anything else that might be wrong with it. PM me to discuss terms.

Buy another working system that's fully socketed.

Then you could substitute chips from the non working system into the working system until it breaks, much easier than subbing good chips into a bad system until it works because dead machines can often hide many faults.

• Like 1

Im guessing this Atari is special to you? For a couple hundred you can buy a new in box one off eBay.

I bought this one off of ebay months ago. I personally do not believe that there are any working 800 computers for sale anywhere. All that I have seen say "not tested" or some such. Even the ones that say "tested and working", as mine was listed, do not work. So when I bought this one i did so knowing i would be paying for repairs. I have done as much as i can myself already - new AV cable, new power supply, replaced bios, rom, basic chips. But If i continue to tinker with the internals, it will be broken beyond repair in no time at all.

Buy another working system that's fully socketed.

Then you could substitute chips from the non working system into the working system until it breaks, much easier than subbing good chips into a bad system until it works because dead machines can often hide many faults.

I am extremely skeptical that I could ever find a guaranteed working 800xl. Mine was listed as "tested and working" but when I got it, had bad rom, GTIA, power supply, etc.. but I expected that so I got what I paid for. It's gotten to a point now where if I continue to mess with it, it's going to break beyond repair, so I would rather have someone with the knowledge and experience to trouble shoot, repair and refurbish it.

I just wanted to popst additional information here regarding some of the symptoms

According to the Service manual, bad GTIA and no color require these p[arts to be replaced:

U17 GTIA C014805
U7 ANTIC C021697
U20 IC HEX Buffer CMOS C010816
Q1 Transistor NPN 34-2N3904
Q3 Transistor NPN 34-2N3904
CR2 Diode C060607
CR3 Diode C060607
Y1 Crystal, 3.579545Mhz C061090
The socketed chips I can replace myself, but the transistors and diodes may require soldering. I _might_ be able to do that, but that Crystam, I have no idea what that's all about. :(
One of the test programs I ran also reported errors on the PIA. These are the parts that would need to replaced:
U23 PIA C014795
C26-29 Cap, Ceramic Axial C014181-03
C82-92 Cap, Ceramic Axial C014181-01
L19-22 Inductor, Axial C014381
That same test program also reported errors with Pokey, although I hear sounds, seems to be no issues, not sure. But I couldn't find any Pokey troubleshooting in the service manual..

Hello xucaen

IIRC Paul West.... (damn, can't remember the name. Might have been "Westphall" or something similar) is living in the US and repairing computers.

BTW get in contact with Jürgen (tf_hh here on AA) and by a "Sys-Check". It plugs into the back of the computer and will diagnose it.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

I am extremely skeptical that I could ever find a guaranteed working 800xl. Mine was listed as "tested and working" but when I got it, had bad rom, GTIA, power supply, etc.. but I expected that so I got what I paid for. It's gotten to a point now where if I continue to mess with it, it's going to break beyond repair, so I would rather have someone with the knowledge and experience to trouble shoot, repair and refurbish it.

I would think there are folks here who from time to time are selling 800XL's that are absolutely trustworthy. I think it's quite a stretch to say you'd never find a working 800XL in the wild. I don't know if you've had a run of bad luck personally with these machines but the 800XL seems to be a pretty sturdy machine. The biggest thing is using a good power supply. The couple of dead 800XL's that I've found in the wild came with the dreaded ingot psu's that are known to kill machines. Stay away from them and generally you should be ok.

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 2

Hello xucaen

IIRC Paul West.... (damn, can't remember the name. Might have been "Westphall" or something similar) is living in the US and repairing computers.

BTW get in contact with Jürgen (tf_hh here on AA) and by a "Sys-Check". It plugs into the back of the computer and will diagnose it.

Sincerely

Mathy

Sys-Check for the win. :thumbsup: An amazing piece of hardware.

• Like 5

I would think there are folks here who from time to time are selling 800XL's that are absolutely trustworthy. I think it's quite a stretch to say you'd never find a working 800XL in the wild. I don't know if you've had a run of bad luck personally with these machines but the 800XL seems to be a pretty sturdy machine. The biggest thing is using a good power supply. The couple of dead 800XL's that I've found in the wild came with the dreaded ingot psu's that are known to kill machines. Stay away from them and generally you should be ok.

Yes mine came with one and right away I bought a new rebuildable power supply from Best. I'm afraid the damage had already been done.

• Like 2

Yep, Paul Westphal of Eight Bit Fix: https://www.eightbitfix.com/ - He's in Portland, Oregon, and I can highly recommend him. Met him at PRGE last year, and got my first 1200XL from him in person this summer.

But it, sounds like you're going to be well on your way to success with a new populated PCB.

Edit: sorry, I see now slx beat me with the link. Department of Redundancy Department.

• Like 3

Yeah understood, tested and working often really means “red light comes on”, especially if there are no pictures of the machine actually up and running. Every machine I’ve picked up was advertised as untested but I think about half were fully working and the others were a quick fix except for one.

• Like 2

Someone mentioned it already, and the thread went from repair to buy (Which is a good advice btw), but I would like to emphasize one more time the services of FlashJazzCat. He has an awesome youtube channel and repairs Atari 8bit stuff all the time. He is very trustworthy and tests your Atari in such a way that it would leave your HIS house in a working order for sure. Meanwhile you might want to have some extra's in your 800xl, like the fabulous Ultimate 1MB upgrade. FlashJazzCat is really the man to built it in for you. He will address all the possible troubles and instabilities that might come with that installation.

It will cost some shipping, and of course some to let him do the work. But if you want it to be done right, he is your guy!

Edited by ProWizard
  • Like 5