IGNORED

Can someone fix 800xl computers?

xucaen

My populated 800xl board arrived today from Best.

Does a "populated board" mean that it comes with all of the necessary chips and components already installed and it simply needs to be installed into an XL shell to be fully operational?

• Like 1

I would interested if someone could fix 800XL Computer in Europe.

I got nice looking Atari 800XL without a PSU, so I bought PSU from Retro game supply.

When I turn it ON, it has a red screen. No obvious damage anywhere. If you have good hints to me for to try?

post-62378-0-62189400-1543517020_thumb.jpg

post-62378-0-79064200-1543517027_thumb.jpg

Edited by utri007

My populated 800xl board arrived today from Best. I'll work on that this weekend.

When I get that working I'll post an update.

Thanks everyone!!

Sweet. :) In the long run, you likely saved some dough vs buying all those parts you listed. In my case, I did eventually save the old board and keep it as a spare. The POKEY had failed.

• Like 1

Does a "populated board" mean that it comes with all of the necessary chips and components already installed and it simply needs to be installed into an XL shell to be fully operational?

Yes. It even has Atari stickers along the edge of the shield that says warranty is void is the seal is broken.

I can not wait to get this up and running. I am waiting for a new multimeter so I can test the power supply *just in case*. (it's a new 'rebuildable' power supply from Best so probably nothing wrong with it, just don;t want to kill a new board on that 1% chance, ya know? ;-) )

post-6228-0-53186900-1543533407_thumb.jpg

post-6228-0-80370700-1543533435_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

thick and thin black pads that sit on the shielding that supports the XL keybord, prevents premature failure or bent keyboards... another reason I tell people to keep the shielding on the XL. those who don't end up with the slight bend caved in keyboard that no longer feels nice and eventually fails...

• Like 1

If that was it's only purpose a cheap cardboard or plastic sheet would have been utilized as was the case for other applications like between the bottom shield and PCB.

The metal is structural in the Atari. It does double duty- Keeping everything firm, limiting flexing, which in turn prevents other failures while doing a good job of dealing with rf interference and also keeping some noise out of the video signal.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

thick and thin black pads that sit on the shielding that supports the XL keybord, prevents premature failure or bent keyboards... another reason I tell people to keep the shielding on the XL. those who don't end up with the slight bend caved in keyboard that no longer feels nice and eventually fails...

Is that what those are in utri007's photo above? I'm pretty sure mine does not have those. :(

All of mine have supports of one kinds or another, almost/nearly all have the black support strips.

Wonder how many unmolested machines are left in the world...

None of my XL's (1200XL, 800XL or 600XL, eight different machines) have had anything inside them between the keyboard and the RF shields. I find it hard to believe every single one of those machines had been opened and something as obscure as that would have to be then removed on each of them. They're also not mentioned anywhere that I could find in the 800XL Field Service Manual. Do you have photos of said supports?

• Like 1

One kind or another and most of the ones I have had.... sometimes they are stuck to the keyboard btw. 800XL not 1200 or 600, I don't keep 20 of everything, I clean them up and fix them up and send them to people as gifts... since I fell ill I no longer get to perform the rounds and buy up and rescue much any more. I do get some stuff sent to me these days though. I'll tear apart the a few and see what I get again. Since just about everything is monkeyed with these days, maybe it will be another group of shield-less broken keyboard units. I see the picture in the thread of the padded type. That's what I've seen the most of. I guess we can all hold our breath for a new in the box item and open it to see the what that looks like. I'll start watching ebay right now.

Getting tired of the whole routine, just like the last little tiff where I had to grab a camera phone and post a picture of a 32 in 1 I had laying around, because it like almost every one I ever owned had both chips in sockets. So when I get around to tearing things apart again, and I have access to my kids phone you will get pictures.Whether it's the black strips, the metal tabs or the spacers... You can see it then.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Yes. It even has Atari stickers along the edge of the shield that says warranty is void is the seal is broken.

I can not wait to get this up and running. I am waiting for a new multimeter so I can test the power supply *just in case*. (it's a new 'rebuildable' power supply from Best so probably nothing wrong with it, just don;t want to kill a new board on that 1% chance, ya know? ;-) )

attachicon.gifnew_warrentyvoid_sticker.jpg

attachicon.gifnew_front.jpg

That's the cool thing with XL's, most repairs are easy, and almost any junker can be fixed at a decent price. That dead one I recently saved was my 1st 800xl, but I'd had 600xl's, and a 1200xl prior. Went to XEGS and 65XE afterwards. Fixing those sucks...

Keeping 1050's going has been another adventure.

Edited by zylon
  • Like 2

Excellent! I just sent an email to Best requesting an invoice for a populated 600XL board. I am crossing my fingers that this will finally allow me to get my ANTONIA/SOPHIA (and hopefully soon AntiX) enhanced 600XL up and running. :)

• Like 2

Excellent! I just sent an email to Best requesting an invoice for a populated 600XL board. I am crossing my fingers that this will finally allow me to get my ANTONIA/SOPHIA (and hopefully soon AntiX) enhanced 600XL up and running. :)

There's actually a store about an hour's drive from you that has about 20 XL's on hand. 600's stock and 64k upgraded, as well as some 800's. I was up north over the holiday week and stopped to see what was inside. It was called "The Video Game Store" in Wilkes Barre, PA.

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

There's actually a store about an hour's drive from you that has about 20 XL's on hand. 600's stock and 64k upgraded, as well as some 800's.

NOW you tell me! :P

Seriously though, what were their prices like? I never see any XLs for sale out in the wild. I may need to take a drive up that way some weekend soon.

• Like 1

NOW you tell me! :P

Seriously though, what were their prices like? I never see any XLs for sale out in the wild. I may need to take a drive up that way some weekend soon.

Ain't exactly like I go out seeking yankees to tell, lol. I think he wanted 40-50 for XL's. He had about 30 carts for A8. Also saw a number of C64 and VIC-20 setups with drives and disks. I'd sold my last old Tandy 1000 stuff there. One of the employees is a member here and he primarily does the older stuff.

It's right off what folks call "the square" up thataways and near Wilkes U I think.

Edited by zylon

I just bought a load of stuff off Craigslist right here in the Lehigh Valley. The guy was selling an 800XL, a 1050 drive, a CX-77 touch tablet, and a number of books, printed material, and cartridges. He came down a lot on the price when I noticed that the power supplies were missing.

The 800XL worked with no problems, as did everything else except the 1050. I think that just needs a good cleaning. My other 800XL and my 130XE were bought from a surplus place in Pottstown, PA and both were fully working. I guess I've just been lucky.

There's a 400, an 800XL, and various pieces for sale in Philly, but the owner thinks their pile is worth $1500.00 so I passed on that one.

They are still out there if you take the time to look. A surprising number are still in working condition.

• Like 1

They are still out there if you take the time to look. A surprising number are still in working condition.

Indeed. I found a working Vader 2600 for $20 a few years back. I had to replace the RIOT (common failure in 4-switch units but I had spares). Just last year I got a working 800, a 410 (needs new belts like all of them these days), a couple of common carts and controllers plus the Atari BASIC book for $50 locally. A couple years before that I found a boxed 800 and some common carts for $50, also locally. Last year I also picked up a 1200XL and yet another 410 from a buddy who found it in a local-to-him sale, drove an hour round trip to buy it, and then shipped it a couple states away to me, all for $90 out of my pocket and to my door.

There are still finds out there. You just need to be patient and take the long view.

• Like 5

All of mine have supports of one kinds or another, almost/nearly all have the black support strips.

Wonder how many unmolested machines are left in the world...

I think mine had been molested. I placed the new board in today, no supports at all. :( Also. The red wire coming off the cartridge doors is now attached to the shield instead of the board...

post-6228-0-04901500-1543671906_thumb.jpgpost-6228-0-00879500-1543671935_thumb.jpgpost-6228-0-21285200-1543671954_thumb.jpgpost-6228-0-87946800-1543672012_thumb.jpg