IGNORED

Native Floppy Imaging?

massiverobot

I've got some floppies to image, and I finally dug out a 1050 and connected it up to my 1088XEL.

Most of the discussions in the forum are about using a PC to image disks--- what native apps are available?

I'm hoping I can run something and image these right into my CF drive, then use SIO2PC to move the ATR image off to a PC all on the Atari itself.

A floppy emulator like SIO2SD will use ATR files under a FAT32 directory structure so you could use a sector copier and just copy the ATRs from the card to PC.

With devices that use flash or a real HDD but format to a native Atari filing system there's not really utilities to do file transfers.

You're better off just mounting a blank ATR to SIO2PC then using Atari side software to sector copy from real disk to that ATR.

A floppy emulator like SIO2SD will use ATR files under a FAT32 directory structure so you could use a sector copier and just copy the ATRs from the card to PC.

With devices that use flash or a real HDD but format to a native Atari filing system there's not really utilities to do file transfers.

You're better off just mounting a blank ATR to SIO2PC then using Atari side software to sector copy from real disk to that ATR.

I want to find a native Atari application that will image a disk in a 1050 into a ATR file. Someone must have done this....?

Edited by massiverobot

An ATR is just the raw sector dump prefixed with the 16 byte ATR header.

There's not really a need for the Atari to deal directly with ATRs - the intention of the file type is to provide disk structure information to device emulators.

Ok, so back to what you suggested- mount a blank ATR image in SIO2PC/USB and then just copy the floppy in the 1050 to the SIO2PC/USB Drive...

Any suggestions on good native atari archiving programs? That will show a nice status and any issues with the floppy etc etc....

SCOPY is good. Nice on US Doubler drives, since it can read standard skew disks at ultraspeed by using an altered read/write order...

My preferred for straight copies is MyCopyR! 2.1 - supports ultraspeed, and 1 pass copies with extended RAM. SD with 130XE, and DD with RAMBO compatible 256K. Does weird things with anything but stock XL OS though.

Here's two posts from previous threads with a collection of other sector copiers:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/279557-how-do-i-make-a-copy-of-a-non-dos-floppy-image/?p=4044532
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260615-dumping-my-floppies-to-atrs/?p=3662912

Edit:

Also forgot about CopyMate 4.3 - also does ultraspeed reading/writing of standard skew disks like SCOPY, single pass SD and DD, but no ED support

https://archive.org/download/a8b_Copymate_v4.3_1987_Palmer_Mike_Hillery_R._US/Copymate_v4.3_1987_Palmer_Mike_Hillery_R._US.atr

• Like 2

To dump disks with read errors or make an ATR from a protected disk I usually use Disk Wizard II.

1. It does not abort when an error occurs
and 2. copies the read data which gives some possibilty to recover the data.
3. On top it does not copy garbage data for missing sectors.

Any other sector copier I tried so far failed in one of these three categories.

Disk Wizard II.atr

• Like 8

I'm going to mention this because it seems in line with what I think the OP wanted to do. (And to give proper credit, rdea6 also mentioned this option.)

Instead of ATR's, one can create a DCM image (Disk Communicator 3). Then that image can be stored on native A8 media and file systems. Then can also be transmitted to a PC in a variety of ways. Using APE, one can mount and use them just like an ATR. Or one can convert them to ATR's using the Imagic tool. The downside is that this method is pretty slow and not quite as "bullet-proof" as using a PC.

But of course, the easy solution is to use some SIO2PC device and send the data from the Atari drive directly to an ATR on a PC laptop, etc. I seem to recall that the 1088XEL has built-in SIO2PC hardware? (I don't have one, but thought I remembered that from the the big 1088XEL thread.)

-Larry

• Like 3

To dump disks with read errors or make an ATR from a protected disk I usually use Disk Wizard II.

1. It does not abort when an error occurs

and 2. copies the read data which gives some possibilty to recover the data.

3. On top it does not copy garbage data for missing sectors.

Any other sector copier I tried so far failed in one of these three categories.

When I mount this ATR and attampt a DIR listing in SDX it says its in a non-supported filesytem... what are these 90k disk images?

It seems like SCOPY is from the original SpartaDos, not the SDX implmentation I have on my 1088... with U1M.

Most of the disk utilities on the SpartaDOS toolkit work perfectly fine with both SpartaDOS 3.2d/f/g as well as SDX, and are intended to be compatible.

Scopy will get you an exact sector copy from drive to drive, (or drive to file/file to drive). Just copying the files to a freshly formatted disk like in your video will not result in the same disk, ie if it's bootable.

• Like 1

Most of the disk utilities on the SpartaDOS toolkit work perfectly fine with both SpartaDOS 3.2d/f/g as well as SDX, and are intended to be compatible.

Scopy will get you an exact sector copy from drive to drive, (or drive to file/file to drive). Just copying the files to a freshly formatted disk like in your video will not result in the same disk, ie if it's bootable.

Right- I'm looking for a sector to sector copy. I'll get the SDX(orig) Toolkit and dig up SCOPY then. Thanks.

So if anyone has a line on SCOPY - I'd appreciate it. I cannot find it. I've looked here- in all the SpartaDos 3.x UTIL disks (three of them) - http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/holmes%20cd/Holmes%201/ATR%20Programs/Disk%20Operating%20Systems/index.html

And I've examined 3 of the last SDX toolkit disks for 4.45, 44 and 43... There is no SCOPY.

Does anyone know where this elusive file can be found?

The current SpartaDOS X Toolkit ATR includes a tool called HDSC in the 'UTILS' folder. HDSC is a command line driven sector copying program.

Thanks - and I have a qq for U1M BIOS - if I have my 1088 connected to a 1050 (as drive one) and then I'm mounting a blank ATR on D2: via SIO2PC/USB - can i have U1M boot an ATR image as D3: ? Or can the Atari only boot from D1, and I just forgot that. And then I just have to move my 1050 to D3.

I see how you can change the drive on Launch menu- but again, can I boot this? It seem to boot but becomes D1.

post-64441-0-80428300-1543629875.jpg