IGNORED

What could be wrong with my video..

Inky

Look at the attached image...

If I play games on my 65xe for a few minutes, a couple rows get distorted. After a few more minutes, this happens, along with a rolling screen.

I've swapped tvs out, and changed the rf cable (it's possible the rf cable is bad, as these are pretty old, so I'm going to try to get a third one) post-144-0-85836300-1543272488_thumb.jpg

Is the sound affected? Can you tell from the sound if a game seems to be continuing and not crashing when that happens?

Have you tried the channel switch? (Channel 2 vs 3)

Any chance you can test with an Audio/Video cable instead of the RF out?

What does your power supply look like? there's a heavy 'Ingot' style that's prone to failure outputting high voltage, enough to damage the computer. Measure the voltage from the PSU with a multimeter.

If it works for a few minutes then gets progressively worse, it's not likely a cable problem. Have you opened up your computer and felt the chips to see

if any are getting hot? You can do (what I call the poor mans) temperature test by inverting a can of compressed air and letting a little of the liquid run

onto a chip one at a time. Start with any that feel hot.

David

had a fellow who kept bringing me dead stuff... he had a battery backed up power strip... it put out stepped approximated power... some do pulse modulation... all are killiers, only use sinusoidal or true wave back up strips and battery back ups.... They don't torture and destroy stuff.

bad power supplies and other issues can be checked with a meter and oscilloscope.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Once the damage is done, you can't expect it to suddenly repair itself by giving it clean good power...

That's like burning up a car engine by using an extended NOS burn then pulling the NOS system giving good clean gas only and expecting it to be in great shape without repairing the damaged engine...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Yep, near complete rebuild from the motherboard up with the 800XL I'm restoring, all due to an ingot PSU. The OS, some ram and most support IC's were fried. Only the big five survived. Something that I'd be doing anyway though, as only about four of the minor support chips like 74LS series were socketed, so I'd be socketing it all anyway. I of course knew about those ingots and would have replaced it before it went out, but this is a friend's 800XL and he didn't know and I didn't know to warn him as I'd never seen it.

Edited by Gunstar

Yep, near complete rebuild from the motherboard up with the 800XL I'm restoring, all due to an ingot PSU. The OS, some ram and most support IC's were fried. Only the big five survived. Something that I'd be doing anyway though, as only about four of the minor support chips like 74LS series were socketed, so I'd be socketing it all anyway.

I hope you have a desoldering gun. My wife got me one for Christmas last year and I can desolder a 40 pin chip in less than two minutes now.

Plus the holes are clean of any residual solder so the replacement socket/chip falls in without any problem!

David

• Like 2

Once the damage is done, you can't expect it to suddenly repair itself by giving it clean good power...

If you were going through a power strip or power supply, I would start with the voltage regulators. You may have to take more than one voltage check

to see if they are producing a continuous, steady voltage. Take several long readings when you power up the unit and then again after you start having

problems.

David

Swapping supplies and not using the power strip seems reasonable...

are you using a direct rf connection, or are you using a switcher of some kind for the television?

Some powered tv rf switches and auto-switches die like this and can damage both TV and RF modules in the computer/game consoles...

I use a protection diode on my stuff... it was readily available from radio shack when they existed. F voltage block, F DC block, etc. Do not pick an attenuation combo connect, just blocking is all that is required... .99 to 5.50 give or take....

a bad power strip cable protector can ruin stuff as well

Edited by _The Doctor__

Swapping supplies and not using the power strip seems reasonable...

are you using a direct rf connection, or are you using a switcher of some kind for the television?

Some powered tv rf switches and auto-switches die like this and can damage both TV and RF modules in the computer/game consoles...

I use a protection diode on my stuff... it was readily available from radio shack when they existed. F voltage block, F DC block, etc. Do not pick an attenuation combo connect, just blocking is all that is required... .99 to 5.50 give or take....

a bad power strip cable protector can ruin stuff as well

I'll try getting a new PS as soon as I can. My systems go directly into the TV.

• 5 months later...

UPDATE:

Instead of spending wads of cash that I don't have, I bought a composite cable and a XL / XE USB power cable from 8bitclassics, and it seems to work fine now! I just need to play it for longer sessions too really be sure.

• Like 1