IGNORED

Supercharger and Starpath Games

classicgamer74

In my 40th episode I discuss the Starcharger and its games. I never had this as a kid, nor did any of my friends have it. Honestly, I just heard of it not too long ago! Did any of you have it? Had it? Or have played it? Did it work like it claimed? I'd like to hear about it.

Also, I'd like to thank everyone for the views, the likes, the suggestions, the criticisms, and subscribing. I've had a lot of fun doing this. Someday I hope to achieve legendary status like James Rolfe and John Hancock. But until then, thanks for viewing.

Edited by classicgamer74
  • Like 7

I have one, and officially the first seven games, and unofficially the rest.

Personally I love the thing, it's a great idea and a decent bit of kit for its time. In recent years, you could even use it as a makeshift multicart for smaller games.

I know it's not technically doing anything special, but in the day it felt like an upgrade to the old 2600, and having all the expensive parts in one reusable cart, instead of having to rebuy it for each game, like CBS, was pretty sweet.

Dragon stomper was my favorite game on the thing, and really advanced for the 2600. There was nothing close (on the 2600) back then, the closest would be d and d for intellivision, or computer games.

• Like 4

I really enjoyed Dragon Stomper and Escape From the Mindmaster. The Supercharger really pushed the 2600 to a new level. I remember when loading the games with the tape recorder the ominous bom-bom-bom as the screen was blocked off by those bars. Then the game screen popped up. It was really cool:)

• Like 2

I'll watch the video later, but I hope you address the "Stella Gets A New Brain" CD. That's what got me excited/interested in the supercharger, long after it was new but well before full speed 2600 emulation. It was my multi-cart of convenience for a while.

I just saw that online. That would have been great back in the day, had I owned the Supercharger. When i was in 2nd garde my parents bought me a cassette player, the typical kind that played and recorded. Eventually the Play button wore out. If I'd had the Supercharger it would have died sooner, I'm sure.

Thanks for the heads up on that extra.

There's only one way to play Supercharger games... ;) I have the first 10 games (1 through 7 are CIB). My favorite is Communist Mutants From Space.

<Edit> Never came across the Supercharger BITD.

post-21941-0-41977400-1543361700.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008
  • Like 6

Didn't have one back in the day, it came out in '82 and I'd already moved onto computers the year before and our Atari was relegated to my younger siblings. For this same reason I don't have nostalgia for games like Yars' Revenge.

I did know about it though - one of my friends kid brother had one, saw him playing games like Dragonstomper a number of times.

Sadly didn't own a Supercharger bitd. Similarly to Flo, the "Stella Gets A New Brain" CD kickstarted me to find a Supercharger ... last year I think. Found all the info on the CD and MP3 usage here on AA. Pure luck, I found a PAL Supercharger at the 1st retro store I attended during my search. Have never seen another one in the wild, since then, down here in Western Australia. In fact never heard of it back when either. I run mp3s ripped from SGANB cd, via an MP3 player into the SC. Gr8 little piece of kit :thumbsup:

I just sold my only cassette. I keep going back and forth on buying one of these. I do have a Spectacular Compumate and saw they can similarly take cassettes. I was curious as to how the two compare. I would say the Supercharger is a really cool hardware to have and it is a shame it wasn't exploited more during its lifetime..

• Like 1

I've had one since it was released and I love it. I remember mail ordering it back then. I got pretty much all the games also back then. Only missed two which I was able to get this year to get a complete collection. The only thing I need now is custom boxes for the two titles that didn't have boxes!

• Like 4

This is great! Thanks for making the episode, classicgamer74. I've liked and subscribed. :thumbsup:

I did not have a Supercharger back in the day, nor do I have one now. However, I've been wanting one for some time and I just recently won a couple of Starpath games at auction. Phaser Patrol and Dragonstomper. So you could say I've put the "cart" before the horse. :grin:

In any case, now I'm in the market for a period appropriate cassette player. The Supercharger came out in 1982, so I'm aiming for thereabouts. Can anyone here comment on what type or brand of cassette player to pick up, or which to avoid? Or, is one player just as good as any other? I ask because a few of these Starpath cassettes are pretty spendy. I definitely don't want my Starpath cassettes eaten up the way my Van Halen tapes were BITD. :_(

• Like 1

I just sold my only cassette. I keep going back and forth on buying one of these. I do have a Spectacular Compumate and saw they can similarly take cassettes. I was curious as to how the two compare. I would say the Supercharger is a really cool hardware to have and it is a shame it wasn't exploited more during its lifetime..

The Compumate has Microsoft BASIC in ROM and 2K of RAM, as much as the ZX-81.

The SuperCharger has more memory than a 5K VIC-20 and the Altair inspired design allows loading BASIC and programs through the cassette interface.

The VCS becomes a powerful computer with both accessories, but the SuperCharger offers more gaming potential for having more RAM and so much of it.

I ordered mine from an ad in the back of Electronic Games magazine. I only ended up with Phaser Patrol and Dragonstomper, but I loved both of those games. Lord, the endless hours I spent playing Phaser Patrol, completely dethroning Starmaster in the process. I sold my original in the mid-1990s and just replaced it a couple weeks ago. How the circle turns...

• Like 4

This is great! Thanks for making the episode, classicgamer74. I've liked and subscribed. :thumbsup:

I did not have a Supercharger back in the day, nor do I have one now. However, I've been wanting one for some time and I just recently won a couple of Starpath games at auction. Phaser Patrol and Dragonstomper. So you could say I've put the "cart" before the horse. :grin:

In any case, now I'm in the market for a period appropriate cassette player. The Supercharger came out in 1982, so I'm aiming for thereabouts. Can anyone here comment on what type or brand of cassette player to pick up, or which to avoid? Or, is one player just as good as any other? I ask because a few of these Starpath cassettes are pretty spendy. I definitely don't want my Starpath cassettes eaten up the way my Van Halen tapes were BITD. :_(

You could get the Stella Gets a New Brain CD. Doesn't it have all the Starpath files on it? It was mentioned above. Might be something to think about. I dont miss cassettes at all either!

I had one BITD but the only other game I had for it (besides Phaser Patrol) was Fireball.

I let someone borrow it after I had most of my Atari 2600 stuff boxed up around 1988 or 1989 and I never saw it again. I've since bought another one and most of the games.

• Like 1

I had one BITD but the only other game I had for it (besides Phaser Patrol) was Fireball.

I let someone borrow it after I had most of my Atari 2600 stuff boxed up around 1988 or 1989 and I never saw it again. I've since bought another one and most of the games.

Whenever I hear about old game stuff vanishing I always wonder if it's.....

A. In a landfill somewhere?

B. Is it still around stashed in someone's attic?

• Like 3

I love this thread. While I own a Harmony and like that I can fire up these games from it, part of the fun is getting my cassette player out and connecting the Supercharger to it. Just seeing the whole thing put together and listening for that Supercharger sound makes me smile.

• Like 4

I got the supercharger that came with Phaser Patrol and the Rabbit Transit, Fireball and Communist Mutants from Outer Space cassettes and NOS RadioShack tape recorder from the 80s. I play the other games off the PC or Harmony.

Edit: Hmmm...that was odd. What happened there?