.section	.gnu.lto_.profile.6dbf9b8b59d33dd,"",@progbits
	.string	"x\234cg```\004b\006"
	.string	""
	.string	"M"
	.ascii	"\t"
	.text
	.section	.gnu.lto_.icf.6dbf9b8b59d33dd,"",@progbits
	.string	"x\234cg``\220b@"
	.string	"\026\206\257\223\227\236ac\334\373\360];+\323\244\355\213\35723\203I\006"
	.ascii	"\245\307\013\333"
	.text
	.section	.gnu.lto_.jmpfuncs.6dbf9b8b59d33dd,"",@progbits
	.ascii	"x\234\205\223\333J\033Q\024\206\367\277'\325\224j\363\002\241"
	.ascii	"\027\022\202\210\025\237\314gH4\215\275\220\230\220bj5H\025T"
	.ascii	"\260\342\205\207\213jl5\306&\231\244V\355A+\321\240\026#T\rZ"
	.ascii	"ZQq\334\207e\220\266\023\007\366\f\263\366\277\376o\255=kj\031"
	.ascii	"cm\016V\271 o5\342\371\036`bY\006\0201\360\"\235\035\250\177"
	.ascii	"n\364\032\f\347\f\263p\213X\354\327t\311\245c\1778\346\340\276"
	.ascii	"\223\005\225\025\366\357\354\325i\005CB%\005g_\027\034:$D\363"
	.ascii	"pK\335\330ZW\201\334[\360N\030I\237\026\351\365\237R&f\266Oj"

Maybe this is why gcc doesn't work and vbcc does? perhaps gcc is treating char as a unicode char? Instead of char perhaps use uint8_t instead? it's more explicit and *may* read single bytes rather than trying to optimise with a word?

Without knowing what the compiler is doing to your code it's all guesswork, sorry.

The strings are ascii/utf-8 (I've looked with a disk editor) but I don't know why some times it skips the first character or draw the first char wrong, but when I send it to the pc, the string it's ok.

I've used the alignment attribute in several parts, and it has fixed a lot of issues but still have some weird bugs, also some times I write some code and the game hangs in the intro, add a skunk_print to see if it's running the animation loop and it works. :mad:

I need to write some code to catch 68000 exceptions.

Anything is just fine with the C code. And gcc treats char as byte. And alignment is no problem for byte accesses.

So the root cause is something else.

If -S does not work, just try objdump -dS with the resulting object file to see the assembly.

BTW: Lauterbach (lauterbach.de) offers simulators for free. I use them often to inspect suspicious code.

• Like 2

The strings are ascii/utf-8 (I've looked with a disk editor) but I don't know why some times it skips the first character or draw the first char wrong, but when I send it to the pc, the string it's ok.

I've used the alignment attribute in several parts, and it has fixed a lot of issues but still have some weird bugs, also some times I write some code and the game hangs in the intro, add a skunk_print to see if it's running the animation loop and it works. :mad:

I need to write some code to catch 68000 exceptions.

Can you post the object file?

Anything is just fine with the C code. And gcc treats char as byte. And alignment is no problem for byte accesses.

So the root cause is something else.

If -S does not work, just try objdump -dS with the resulting object file to see the assembly.

BTW: Lauterbach (lauterbach.de) offers simulators for free. I use them often to inspect suspicious code.

I also tried the objdump but only got a text saying the file format, no disassembly.

Remove -flto and try again.

Ok, now it works, the source code it's ugly but as soon as I've a version that crashes I'll have a look at the sources.

I've tried to compile gdb with no luck, it looks that you only need a few functions to make read and write a memory address.

I've compiled the game without -flto and the lives and the bonus it's printed ok. I still have some graphics glitches with Pauline when you finish a screen, also some times the "How high can you get" triggers an address error when I copy the raster colors.

Next thing to do it's to output registers values when an exception it's raised.

I've compiled the game without -flto and the lives and the bonus it's printed ok. I still have some graphics glitches with Pauline when you finish a screen, also some times the "How high can you get" triggers an address error when I copy the raster colors.

Next thing to do it's to output registers values when an exception it's raised.

I suggest an extra object for this (and other printf-debug info) which you can overlay where ever you want. And simply disable/enable it.

LinkoVitch, on 08 Feb 2019 - 12:29 PM, said:snapback.png

Take the address you get from end and make sure it is phrase aligned

move.l #end,d0
add.l #8, d0
and.l #$fffffff8, d0

Will leave you with a phrase aligned address in d0

if end is the first free byte then you could use

move.l #end,d0

addq.l #7,d0

and.b #$f8,d0

if end happens to be on a 8 byte boundary then you would incur an 8 byte gap

Edited by Seedy1812
  • Like 2

Take the address you get from end and make sure it is phrase aligned

move.l #end,d0
add.l #8, d0
and.l #$fffffff8, d0

Will leave you with a phrase aligned address in d0

Rather:

moveq #-8,d0

and.l #end+7,d0

or better (if the assembler can handle it):

move.l #( end+7 ) & ~7,d0

Note: Don't waste cycles on-line you can invest off-line.

Edited by 42bs
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi !

I'm currently working on an C app with multiple files and I'm using "m68k-atari-mint-gcc".

It works great, but after adding some more variables, I got an issue where a variable in BSS segment are not aligned with what I need :

When using gcc, all variable are aligned in word boundaries, but for specific ones, I need those to be longword aligned.

I tried to add " __attribute__((aligned(4)))" to have something as "u8_t toto[1024]  __attribute__((aligned(4)))" but at build time gcc give me the warning "warning: alignment of 'toto' is greater than maximum object file alignment.  Using 2 [enabled by default]" and finally the variable is not aligned to a longword.

Why gcc don't take account of the attribute and how to resolve the issue ?

Thanks

What complier flags are you using? I had some similar issues and I fixed it (IIRC) changing the code generation flags, also my malloc routines align the data to a 16 bytes boundary and some data it's now created on the heap.

I'm using these flags

CODEOPTFLAGS = $(TARGETFLAGS) -Ofast -g -fomit-frame-pointer -fstrict-aliasing
CODEGENFLAGS = $(CODEOPTFLAGS) -fcaller-saves -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections

At first I had -flto option but it removed some alignment of some files.

3 hours ago, SCPCD said:

Hi !

I'm currently working on an C app with multiple files and I'm using "m68k-atari-mint-gcc".

It works great, but after adding some more variables, I got an issue where a variable in BSS segment are not aligned with what I need :

When using gcc, all variable are aligned in word boundaries, but for specific ones, I need those to be longword aligned.

I tried to add " __attribute__((aligned(4)))" to have something as "u8_t toto[1024]  __attribute__((aligned(4)))" but at build time gcc give me the warning "warning: alignment of 'toto' is greater than maximum object file alignment.  Using 2 [enabled by default]" and finally the variable is not aligned to a longword.

Why gcc don't take account of the attribute and how to resolve the issue ?

Thanks

Try using the linker instead: Place toto in a section, than align this section with the linker script.

I'm not using Vincent's gcc build per se, but on my build of gcc 4.6.4 I don't see any errors about this: https://tinyurl.com/y6lu6u53. So the only options I see is Bastian's suggestion or building gcc on your own (script is always here: https://bitbucket.org/ggnkua/bigbrownbuild). Probably Bastian's solution will take less time :).