IGNORED

Welcome to Series 3 Jaguar ST Ports - Dangerous Wars 2

Gaztee

EDIT: WalterJ64 ripped the 32X levels and sent them to me

I ported the seventeen 32X levels to work on the Jaguar for walterJ64, then hacked the Jag Doom source code to make it work... Ending after the correct level and the secret exit on E1M3 leading to the correct place, etc.

Have since made an 'enhanced' version with a more powerful shotgun to really take care of business as I was tired of it taking up to 5 shots to kill Pinky Demons :mad:

I put a video on Youtube once showing a Baron of Hell dying with one blast :lol:

It's cool to play the 32X levels without the crappy border around the screen.

Back on topic, I've played so much Star Wars in the last 2 days! I have an ST mouse in storage somewhere. Will have to locate it.

This game is amazing and reminds me of Mr. Gattis Pizza after school back in the day. Played the arcade relentlessly :thumbsup:

• Like 3

I have received all three games. Star Wars is awesome and it's easier to play with the mouse adapter. ;-)

Rick Dangerous is not going at the right speed, the character and all the elements are going too fast,

compared to the version Atari ST which has a normal speed, in short it is unplayable and I am disappointed. :(

in short it is unplayable and I am disappointed. :(

Umm, I actually completed it - as I do all the ports before giving them to Gaz. Rick will play slightly faster in NTSC land, as the game is synced to the vblank.

Rick is one of the earlier ports, a lot has been learned about how best to handle things since then.

Umm, I actually completed it - as I do all the ports before giving them to Gaz. Rick will play slightly faster in NTSC land, as the game is synced to the vblank.

Rick is one of the earlier ports, a lot has been learned about how best to handle things since then.

Of course it can end, but it does not make you want to play an accelerated game.
Rick Dangerous should go at the same speed as Rick Dangerous 2.
Play Rick Dangerous on the Atari ST and you'll see the difference.
I am in France and my console is PAL.
Edited by ricky

Sorry you are disappointed - as I said, RD1 was an earlier port. There are ROMs and videos of all the games so no need to go in blind.

Some of the series 1 ports are somewhat rougher than the 2.x and above.

[Edit]

Got home, wanted to write more.

Working on these ports has been a learning curve. We're now at a place where the finished results are, in my opinion, far better than the original versions (Speed, Audio, Control, Loading times, etc) but it has taken a few miss-steps to get here.

Rick Dangerous (1), Fernandez Must Die and Solomon's Key are probably the weakest of the ports I've done.

Rick, as you noted above, does have a speed issue in PAL (not, as I incorrectly said above, NTSC)

Fernandez Must Die is pretty much a perfect port of a really crap game

Solomon's Key, while it plays correctly, in my opinion doesn't have the best audio

Saying that, the series one set has (again, in my opinion) some of the best to date: Joust, Gauntlet II, R-Type, Bubble Bobble

The intent was just to let people have carts of them for their collection who couldn't run them on the skunkboard and, as people were (and still are....) making them and selling on ebay/etsy with out dated binaries, at least they knew they had the latest, most complete version available. As said above, the ROMs were always available to test, and there was never any intention to deceive or trick anyone into something they weren't.

From the 2.x set and upwards I have had a team of excellent play testers behind me, and have learned a lot of new techniques to improve performance and bring tighter gameplay/audio. We strive to make these the best experience we are able before releasing a -skunk .ROM and sending it off to Gaztee. I'd hope that nobody would be disappointed with a game from this set in so far as the port goes - the gameplay, well, not everything is for everyone - go and find a review or try the available download.

Again, I'm sorry you are disappointed with RD1. If you have modified your Jaguar to play in NTSC, you will find it runs at the correct speed. I hope this wouldn't put you off sampling any of the later releases and thank you for the comment regarding Star Wars - the mouse makes that game shine!

• Like 6

EDIT: WalterJ64 ripped the 32X levels and sent them to me

I ported the seventeen 32X levels to work on the Jaguar for walterJ64, then hacked the Jag Doom source code to make it work... Ending after the correct level and the secret exit on E1M3 leading to the correct place, etc.

Have since made an 'enhanced' version with a more powerful shotgun to really take care of business as I was tired of it taking up to 5 shots to kill Pinky Demons :mad:

I put a video on Youtube once showing a Baron of Hell dying with one blast :lol:

It's cool to play the 32X levels without the crappy border around the screen.

Back on topic, I've played so much Star Wars in the last 2 days! I have an ST mouse in storage somewhere. Will have to locate it.

This game is amazing and reminds me of Mr. Gattis Pizza after school back in the day. Played the arcade relentlessly :thumbsup:

Man you are really a pro at all of this hacking stuff.

I think that sounds interesting to try out the 32X Doom on the Jaguar. You said you hacked the shotgun to be more powerful which also sounds pretty awesome! Great job. I've been enjoying your Sega CD hacks you've posted online as well.

• Like 1

Again, I'm sorry you are disappointed with RD1. If you have modified your Jaguar to play in NTSC, you will find it runs at the correct speed. I hope this wouldn't put you off sampling any of the later releases and thank you for the comment regarding Star Wars - the mouse makes that game shine!

Anyway, thank you @CyranoJ for the explanations, I will see to change my Jaguar 50Hz in 60Hz.

• Like 2

Holy CRAP is Star Wars AMAZING with Mouse Controls! Thank you CyranoJ (and thanks to Gatzee for publishing!)

Cheers,

Ben

BTW, was just told by a customer that X-arcade Tankstick Trackball works as well. You need to connect it via a USB adapter.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone else had crash issues with Star Wars?  I played my cart for the first time last night and it crashed/froze to a black screen a couple times between games.  My son was playing both times that it froze, and he is only 6 so it is hard telling what buttons he pressed, but are there any known issues?

6 minutes ago, Sargon said:

Has anyone else had crash issues with Star Wars?  I played my cart for the first time last night and it crashed/froze to a black screen a couple times between games.  My son was playing both times that it froze, and he is only 6 so it is hard telling what buttons he pressed, but are there any known issues?

None that I am aware of. My testing team and myself have played it for hours. Are you using a mouse (which type if so) or a joypad? any more info you can provide?

55 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

None that I am aware of. My testing team and myself have played it for hours. Are you using a mouse (which type if so) or a joypad? any more info you can provide?

We were using a Pro Controller.  I'll have to try to reproduce it myself, or pay more attention to what he is doing when/if it happens again, but both times was definitely after a game had ended and before a new game started.  He pressed something that went to a black screen and we had to power the console off and back on.

22 hours ago, Sargon said:

We were using a Pro Controller.  I'll have to try to reproduce it myself, or pay more attention to what he is doing when/if it happens again, but both times was definitely after a game had ended and before a new game started.  He pressed something that went to a black screen and we had to power the console off and back on.

Pause maybe lol