IGNORED

Wishing for a new Intellivision Game - Shufflepuck Cafe!

First Spear

While the Amicos controller might lend itself well to this game, I wonder how a remake on the classic system might look, and if the physics and play could be handled on the classic system. It was definitely fun on other platforms!

attachicon.gif01479251-7BA1-49D9-957B-2D732C3749F0.jpeg

Isn't that just Klax in disguise?

Fun Fact: Klax designed and program by David Akers, our very own resident BSR here in this forum. He goes by the handle catsfolly. :)

Perhaps he'll consider porting it himself to the Intellivision. He's no stranger to IntyBASIC, having contributed much to its growing library.

-dZ.

• Like 3

On Paddle Party is a very good version of Shuffle Puck aka Air Hockey.

And guess what...it's programed by Dave Akers.

Ah!, I misunderstood the graphic, so it's not Klax, but a 3D paddle game. Yes, you are right, Dave Akers a.k.a. catsfolly also made Paddle Party for the Intellivision. :)

-dZ.

Ah!, I misunderstood the graphic, so it's not Klax, but a 3D paddle game. Yes, you are right, Dave Akers a.k.a. catsfolly also made Paddle Party for the Intellivision. :)

-dZ.

But Klax would be nice on Intellivision also. Catsfolly to the rescue. :) (for now I play the Lynx version) :)

Funny, the user Marsupilami back in April 2018 was requesting a port of Shufflepuck Café to the Atari 8-bit computers and was told a such game already existed, minus all the fun voice samples which makes it worthwhile. Supposedly the same would be true about the Intellivision, we'd need it to be an Elektronite release with the custom code to generate voice samples to be played back on the IntelliVoice to be much to enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

On Paddle Party is a very good version of Shuffle Puck aka Air Hockey.

And guess what...it's programed by Dave Akers.

It was years ago when I played Paddle Party, but if I remember correctly its the game from the right screenshot? If yes: Sorry, but that game is not even close to be as good as Shuffle Puck Cafe is. But to be honest: I can not imagine the fast paced gameplay of Shuffle Puck on the Intellivision. I also doubt the controller would be able to handle that pace. But at least a first person view would be a great start. I played hours of Shuffle Puck on Amiga.

The Air Hockey game on Paddle Party was primarily designed as a two player game, with the single player mode thrown in so people could practice the controls by themselves.

Shuffle Puck Cafe is a single player game, so it can use first person view, and it has a variety of interesting opponents with different graphics, strengths, and weaknesses.

This kind of game is best suited to a mouse, or trackball, or some kind of analog controller. The Intellivision has only a digital "on/off" controller. Some tricks can be done such as having the movement speed up the longer the disk is held, or moving at different speeds based on the position pressed on the disk, but it will never be as natural as an analog control.

• Like 1

But Klax would be nice on Intellivision also. Catsfolly to the rescue. :) (for now I play the Lynx version) :)

The rights to Klax are owned by Time Warner, so I can't just make a version of it.

On the other hand, Mark Pierce (the designer and producer of Klax), started his own game company years ago and made a "Klax Inspired" game for iphones called "Starburst" which was similar to Klax except the game pieces moved up instead of down. So maybe something could be done,,,

• Like 3

Oh man I loved Shufflepuck Cafe, I played tons of it on my Amiga back in college and got my whole dorm hooked on it. I would love to see this game on other retro systems as well.

One game that I would love to see on any of the "-visions" or the Omni would be Broderbunds amazing hidden gem..

Typhoon Thompson

This was a game that more people need to play its quite genius.

• Like 1