IGNORED

40th anniversary of Atari 8-bit computers

scitari

The 40th birthday of Atari 8-bit computers is coming up soon next year in 2019. What do folks think about the milestone? Something to celebrate? Just wait until the big 50 comes along in ten years? How should we celebrate? The 40th sure makes me feel old!

Edited by scitari
  • Like 9

It'd be nice is Atari (such as it is these days) would produce an updated 800XL with all the new goodies installed, with a great mechanical keyboard. I know people have developed alternatives/emulators, but I like the look and feel of the real thing.

Similar to what individual computers did with the c64 reloaded. A new mechanical keyboard would be a huge plus

• Like 1

I displayed my 1978 pre production 800 at VCFMW for its 40th birthday but there was very little interest.

That's a neat machine, Claus; but I'm afraid not everyone can appreciate what makes something like that worth having a closer look.

Did you have the machine opened up enough for people to see some of the innards?

BTW, here's a thread about it: Atari 800 Engineering Serial 26

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Out of paranoia, I left the innards at home. I had a poster board with the same color photos from that thread along with descriptions. Maybe it looked too much like a science fair project. One of our AA members did take interest but was disappointed at the empty shell on display. I wanted to have it running at the show but lacked the time to prepare.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from presenting a nicer 40th anniversary display. I look forward to seeing what happens. Maybe VCFW would be more Atari-friendly. VCFMW is half Commodore.

Edited by ClausB
  • Like 1

Out of paranoia, I left the innards at home. I had a poster board with the same color photos from that thread along with descriptions. Maybe it looked too much like a science fair project. One of our AA members did take interest but was disappointed at the empty shell on display. I wanted to have it running at the show but lacked the time to prepare.

OK, well, paranoia understood, but I can see why people might not have been so interested.

"Science fair project"... haha. The pictures in that thread show a lot, but I think most people come to festivals

like that to see the real thing.

Maybe you could have some kind of plexiglass case made (or find something prefabbed) to display it in?

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

I displayed my 1978 pre production 800 at VCFMW for its 40th birthday but there was very little interest.

If it wasn't for a large booth setup by SLCC club members last year, there would have been no Atari presence at the VCFW in 2017. But it sure was a nice booth, and right smack in the middle next to the front entrance :thumbsup: :) .

post-42561-0-14905300-1543857819_thumb.jpg

post-42561-0-70811000-1543857828_thumb.jpg

More Pics

Hopefully we'll see more of this in the years to come.

• Like 8

I don't mean to discourage anyone from presenting a nicer 40th anniversary display. I look forward to seeing what happens. Maybe VCFW would be more Atari-friendly. VCFMW is half Commodore.

To be fair the Atari presence at VCFMW increases year over year. I will have a new baby next year but I still hope to make the trip and will as usual have several a8 machines. I really enjoyed your display but the empty shell was a tad disappointing, maybe next year you can have it running?

Are there people in the picture we might know?

Hi Mathy :)

I only know two of them. The one on the far left is Kevin Lund (KLund1) and the guy wearing the white T-shirt with the blue Atari logo is Bob Woolley (bob1200xl). I wouldn't be surprised if the other two guys are semi-famous in the Atari world, but just not to my recollection.

• Like 1

Yes that's me on the far left, and Bob standing blue shirt

The other two very nice gentleman are original, and current members of SLCC from 1981.

Those pictures are from two years ago. We also had a display last year of just All the silver boxed XL line items, also right next to the door.

I will bring up the 400/800 anniversary tomorrow at our December meeting, 7pm San Leandro Main Library.

• Like 2