IGNORED

Diagnostic Testing Software?

Gunnder

Hey Guys,

I finally got my 1040STf and SC1224 monitor running after doing some repair work. I have installed a Gotek drive and everything seems to be up and running and "mostly" ok. For the most part, "most" of the games run fine, a few don't, and some times I do get 2, 3, 4, or 10 bombs. Mostly 2 or 3 bombs show up when I only use the reset button to boot back into the HxC menu. When I power down wait a few seconds it boots up fine and I can run any game. Every so often a .ST file will spit out a bomb error as well. It's pretty random. But I would say 90% of the time everything works. :)

So I'm wondering if there is a Gotek compatible (.ST format) software that I can run for it to test the RAM, CPU, etc... Sort of like the 8bit computers have the built in test function, but maybe a little more advanced. As a minimum I would like to test the memory like the built-in 8bit systems. I'm fairly certain there is some bad memory chips in there. Thanks!

Edited by Gunnder

Yes, memory chips can be bad. But more likely, it is just old PSU and it's weakened capacitors. So, best is to perform so called 'recap' - replacing electrolyte capacitors in PSU. Or replacing whole PSU with proven good one,

Things are that diagnostic SW can not tell for sure what causing memory access faults. It can be memory self, MMU chip, PSU - and latest is most likely in computer old about 28 years.

Yea I was thinking about doing a recap of the PSU, that's a simple job. They all look ok, I may just remove them and check them anyways.

However back to my original question, what are the names of some good software for testing memory for the 1040STf? I've googled but coming up empty so far. I found one called RAMTEST.prg but I'm using Gotek so I need a .ST file format. Atleast I haven't figured how to use anything but .ST so far on Gotek.