IGNORED

HSC Season 10 - Game 1/10 - DEMON ATTACK

scalpel

So, ive spent some time on this now. I've played on other difficulties and there appear to be 2 different crashing bugs. The first is when the screen freezes. I don't know what casuses this and its only happened to me once. The other is when the screen goes blank and it would appear that that one is related to how many lives you've got.

dpisacane - those are some weird things happening in your games but as you say, it's probably to do with your machine getting hot. I've not experienced anything other than the two I mentioned but then I don't believe those two are related to heat and are in fact programing issues.

My Inty doesn't really get that hot as it had some internal and external cooling measures in place. These were put in place following a 5 hour Astrosmash game where I fried the cpu due to overheating.

Edited by Bamse

Here's confirmation of bugs in demon attack; although not like what's been described here.

From http://www.classic-consoles-center.at/interviews/interview-with-gary-kato

"I´m not quite sure if you remind it or were ever told about it? At least some Demon Attack-cartridges for example the one I bought in my youth (also a second cart I bought nearly 20 years later) offered a bug. If you shot straight in the core of the pandemonium base and in that very moment when the core got hit moved your Spaceship fastly in a diagonal-direction, the screen froze in a vibrating-shaking-state. This effect was only interruptable via pressing reset on the console. Strangely this effect does not occur on the emulations I have tested. Did you know of this bug? I reported it to the german distributor Harman back in 1983 and they called me some days later and confirmed the bug I had found."

"Yes, I knew about it. I never found the cause for it. It really ruined the joy of seeing people buying the game in stores. It still bothers me to this day. I suspect it has something to do with interrupts. I saw it mostly happen after lifting off to go to the Demon Base. The Base would never show up and you would drift until you hit the reset button."

Just as an update on the black screen crash thing. I tested out my third copy of Demon Attack today on a Super Video Arcade and my second Intellivision II, and it got the same result. If I play deep into the game without losing a life it crashes to the black screen.

So, then I decided to try it on my LTO Flash, and interestingly, on there it crashes back to the LTO flash menu instead of a black screen. This seems to confirm to me that this is a bug, though, as my Intellivision isn't overheating, suffering from a poor cartridge connection or anything.

I'm not sure what you guys would recommend at this point. I'm starting to get a little discouraged like poor Mr. Pujals. Any advice is definitely welcome.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Phew... I managed to get 11,324.

If any of you start experiencing the black screen crash and want to know how I worked around it, here's what I did. Every time my extra lives went up to six, I intentionally killed myself and knocked it back down to five. In that way I was able to keep playing. Hopefully that is of some use to you guys.

Oh, and I do want to say that despite my frustrations, I am still having a lot of fun with this.4d1b6b79bbbdd11be4d998f79aa0924c.jpg11729566ebe1034b5d47dbb0db68ba04.jpg

• Like 4

The bug they are talking about is different from the one I am experiencing. I am curious, though, so I might fire up Nostalgia and see if I can replicate it.

The thing is that something feels a little wrong about doing this competition in emulation rather than real hardware. I can pause, use any controller I want... I mean, just the fact that I can't pause Demon Attack feels like it is part of the experience. I need to actually display some stamina, you know. Maybe it is just me, though.

I also didn't want to break any rules on here, and I really didn't know what they were regarding emulation.

Thanks for the suggestion, though! I will check it out.

The interviewer, I quoted earlier, reported that he did not experience the bug when playing through emulation. Not sure which emulator he used; maybe Nostalgia. Jzintv is the most accurate and may emulate the bug. Nostalgia is known to be more forgiving.

The bug they are talking about is different from the one I am experiencing. I am curious, though, so I might fire up Nostalgia and see if I can replicate it.

The thing is that something feels a little wrong about doing this competition in emulation rather than real hardware. I can pause, use any controller I want... I mean, just the fact that I can't pause Demon Attack feels like it is part of the experience. I need to actually display some stamina, you know. Maybe it is just me, though.

I also didn't want to break any rules on here, and I really didn't know what they were regarding emulation.

Thanks for the suggestion, though! I will check it out.

You can pause Demon Attack with real hardware. You can also use alternative controllers with a real Intellivision. And Intellivision controllers can be used with emulation.

Wow... I have tried pausing a few times, and it never worked. It must just be because the pace of the game is so frenetic... I don't quite hit both buttons at the same time. I will give it another try.

You can pause Demon Attack with real hardware. You can also use alternative controllers with a real Intellivision. And Intellivision controllers can be used with emulation.

Phew... I managed to get 11,324.

If any of you start experiencing the black screen crash and want to know how I worked around it, here's what I did. Every time my extra lives went up to six, I intentionally killed myself and knocked it back down to five. In that way I was able to keep playing. Hopefully that is of some use to you guys.

Oh, and I do want to say that despite my frustrations, I am still having a lot of fun with this.4d1b6b79bbbdd11be4d998f79aa0924c.jpg11729566ebe1034b5d47dbb0db68ba04.jpg

Yeah, the last few games that's exactly what I've been doing. Keeping my lives low and it seems to help. It did crash to black once with 2 lives left so wasn't sure if it was just coincidence but it helps I think and the fact you've come to the same conclusion back's it up .

Very nice score by the way :)

• Like 2

So, does that mean that playing the game in emulation using a controller other than an Intellivision controller is against the rules?

What is the rule on using emulation? I'd much prefer to use my Ultimate Intellivision Flashback, if that's an accepted option.