IGNORED

NES High Score Club Round 2 - Magic Jewelry

asponge

The game for this round is Magic Jewelry. The object is to match the colors of the falling jewel block. Points are scored by matching three or more jewelry pieces horizontally, vertically or diagonally. An "XXX" block will remove all jewels of the same color and advance the player to the next stage. Pressing A or B will rotate the position of the jewels within the falling block. Because the board is not hidden while the game is paused, no pauses are allowed.

post-27362-0-06536300-1543781894.png post-27362-0-95792800-1543781898.png

Game Rules:
No pausing.

Score Post Deadline: Sunday December 16 at 11:59 PM CST.

Scores so far:

mbd30: 682,483

S.BAZ: 466,958

empsolo: 147,188

asponge: 107,696

roadrunner: 70,585

jblenkle: 20,532

Season Standings:
6 mbd30
5 bubufubu
4 asponge
3 empsolo
2 roadrunner
1 jblenkle

General HSC Season Rules:

• The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • No point pressing.
  • Round points are awarded according to the number of participants. Every player earns 1 participation point plus 1 point for every player they outscore. For example, if there are 8 players, the player with the highest score earns 8 points, second 7 points, third 6 points, etc. down to the last player who earns 1 point.
Edited by asponge
  • Like 1

The speed increases if you get a lot of high scoring combos early on. But I can't help going for those big early combos. It might be better to pace yourself for the long haul.

EDIT: No, it's better to go for the big points early on, and then mostly focus on survival as the speed increases.

Edited by mbd30

I like the music, but the controls are terrible. It's easy to misdrop because of how twitchy the controls are.

This game has grown on me.

I didn't like the game much at first either. It's a bit rough around the edges. But, I agree, it's good once you play it a bit.

I didn't like the game much at first either. It's a bit rough around the edges. But, I agree, it's good once you play it a bit.

The sensitive controls took some getting used to.

Once I had my high scoring strat down I was good to go.

The music is great and enhances the experience quite a bit. I like that it changes up the music and doesn't keep playing the same thing throughout.

I doubt that I'll do any better than this. At one point I came extremely close to topping out, but then I got some lucky matches that allowed me to get the triple x and continue.

It was getting to the point where jewels were dropping too fast to do anything lol.

Okay, I managed to improve my score again. This is a really easy puzzle game.

Edited by mbd30

Now that the round is over I'll share how I got my score.

A cluttered board that is stacked high has much more scoring potential than a non-cluttered board. You want to create a lot of clutter on purpose while the speed is still low.. That results in way more matches and combos and higher scores earlier on, especially when you drop the xxx piece.

When jewels drop too fast to deliberately stack high then switch to just making matches and surviving to the next round. Any clutter and high scoring combos will happen naturally at that point. You'll be fighting the clutter rather than creating it.

• Like 1