IGNORED

BlackJack Theta VIII - 2600 game - 8K

azure

1 hour ago, azure said:

I haven't posted in a while, so I uploaded the current WIP. I redesigned the title screen using a new kernel that allows for dynamic palette changes. Watch the blue text and wait 4 seconds to see what I mean.

I'm working on changing the betting screen to allow for higher bets (5 or 6 digit amounts), but the change will touch a lot of code, so it's going to be a significant change. The 1K and x2 bets are not working yet. x2 will double the current bet. I have to reassess if I have the RAM. I don't believe I do at the moment. The new kernel is using a few more bytes RAM, so I'll find some other code to crunch.

These are not big changes, but I've been working on them for the past several weeks.

Next change after this is adding keypad support. I display the two controllers that will be supported on the title screen.

Awesome dynamic palette!

Can't wait for the keypad support!

Keep it coming!!!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've posted version 0.95. New features include maximum bet expanded from $9999 to $999999; new losing and winning cut scenes; and an improved landing scene. There were significant rewrites of the landing screen, assigning of card graphics, card flip animation, and sound library. The rewrites were to reduce CPU cycles, RAM, and ROM bloat. I think in its current state the game is almost feature complete.

I spend the most time on the landing screen. Trying to cram a playfield and two sprite updates in a single line kernel was tricky and required much fiddling to get the timings right. It uses a new strategy for vertical positioning and scrolling the scene. The screen is divided into four 32 pixel high inner kernels and two dynamically sized outer kernels. Vertical positioning is computed by modulo for speed. The four middle kernels can be dynamically swapped in and out with different kernels. I plan to use this design for my other game (Proton), which is why I spent so much time on it.

What's left to do is:

* keypad support: I made an attempt but the code was not working, so I had that on pause.

* pip colors: I'm still considering this.

* sound: fixing up some of the sound effects to play in both channels

* squeezing a few more bytes of RAM

* more fiddling with scaling the chip graphics to the chip amount

• Like 5

I posted 0.96. It's a bug fix patch. Game over was triggered when the player went below 100 chips and there were scanline issues on some of the screens transitions. I didn't notice them until I ran the game in Javatari.

Edited by azure
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2021 at 4:01 AM, azure said:

I posted 0.96. It's a bug fix patch. Game over was triggered when the player went below 100 chips and there were scanline issues on some of the screens transitions. I didn't notice them until I ran the game in Javatari.

Did you make the odds better for the house??? Started both games and lost the 6-7 hands on both versions.

4 hours ago, Arenafoot said:

Did you make the odds better for the house??? Started both games and lost the 6-7 hands on both versions.

Nope. I haven't changed the random number generator since the last version or since 2020. There is slight bias that's always been there, but it would not help either the player or the dealer.

Edited by azure
  • Confused 1

• 2 years later...