IGNORED

Wizardry

deepthaw

On 11/17/2019 at 10:50 AM, newtmonkey said:

I just wanted to necro this thread as I finally finished Wizardry 5!

I've taken the same party through Wiz 1-3 and 5 (DOS version).  My favorites were 1 & 5 tied for first place.  2 was dull but short, and way too easy.  3 was a slog and poorly balanced.

One thing I didn't realize until the very end about Wiz 5 is that you can "quick save" in the dungeon.  Because the game doesn't doesn't auto save every step like in Wiz 1-3, you can save in the dungeon and, if something horrible happens, can shut the game down and reload your save.  You do have to be somewhat quick about it, as the game does save if you get a total party kill.  And you'll need to do this, because the last couple of floors of the game are BRUTAL.

I regretted having a Samurai in my party until the very last battle in Wiz 5 lol.  My Samurai being able to cast another magic shield during the final battle was REALLY helpful.

Have you played 6 and 7 yet?

BANE (6) and Dark Savant (7) are old DOS titles too.  I have fond memories of  wiz 7. It actually uses vga graphics and plays fairly nicely.

GoG has wiz8, which imports the wiz 7 save data.  But I liked wiz7 better.

• Like 1

@wierd_w

I've played both 6 and 7 but haven't finished either (though I did get very far into 6).  Right now I'm focusing on the Might & Magic series, but plan to complete Wiz 6&7 in the next year or so.

Have you played Wizards & Warriors?  If you liked Wiz 7 over 8, you might like W&W also.  It's from the same guy that developed Wiz 5, 6, and 7.

On 1/18/2020 at 8:39 AM, Tanooki said:

Since this was brought back I knew of this thread, but don't like to necro stuff unless necessary, so I didn't ask.  But, have any of you tried this out? https://www.gog.com/game/wizardry_labyrinth_of_lost_souls

I tried a few minutes with it, and the anime feel immediately put me off. The dungeon graphics seem clunky and bad as well, in a distracting way. I'm no graphics snob, hell, I'm replaying Wizardry 1 on an actual Apple IIe presently.

When I have more time I'll try to give it a fair shake. Cutesy elf-girls with annoying voices may be the cost of Japanese die-hards keeping Wizardry alive.