IGNORED

ATR8000 For Sale on ebay...

DavidMil

You can get these for $150 normally, I'd never buy from this seller because he lies about what he sells and always over prices what he sells...

Case in point:

He bought a RM-1000 radio modem for a best offer of $100 after he saw that I paid $70 for one last year.

He relisted it for $275 eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2735161908641?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=273516190864&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] and stated:

Powers on and I got a handshake from the port so should be working.

So I asked him what kind of "handshake" did he get, his response was:

Hello, "handshake" is an old term for the initial communication between computers. For instance, Computer sends a high signal sent on RTS (Request to Send) pin. It is responded low by the receiving machine on the DTR (Data Terminal Ready) pin. this happens a few times and the up down up down exchange is called a handshake. I sent a signal with an digital oscilloscope. Might fiddle with the modem more this weekend but no cb is going to be an issue.

This Radio Modem doesn't have those signals on any of the connectors, plus it doesn't work that way...

I reported it as a fraudulent listing :)

He revised the description now: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2832859880651?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=283285988065&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

• Like 4

Now there is something ripe for "reimagined/reimaged."

While everything "reimaged/re-imagined" is somehow nice, this doesn't seem to be overly useful. The only unique feature (not considering the Indus GT) is running CP/M on the Atari. You could certainly use it to keep some old, "plain" floppy drives working but given the abundance of other storage options you'd probably only want to do this to stay absolutely "period", something a re-imagined device won't fit into.

While everything "reimaged/re-imagined" is somehow nice, this doesn't seem to be overly useful. The only unique feature (not considering the Indus GT) is running CP/M on the Atari.

So has anyone considered a CP/M emulator for ARM running on an RPi? I mean, tack on some logic to handle communication with the Atari (which can probable be taken from the existing RespeQt codebase) and voila: your Atari thinks your Pi is an ATR8000 or Indus CP/M box.

• Like 6

So has anyone considered a CP/M emulator for ARM running on an RPi? I mean, tack on some logic to handle communication with the Atari (which can probable be taken from the existing RespeQt codebase) and voila: your Atari thinks your Pi is an ATR8000 or Indus CP/M box.

Already done, the CP/M emulator, that is. The Atari hookup remains to be done.

That's exactly what I've thought, but I don't have the programming chops to pull it off. It should also be able to act as an SIO2PC.

Bonus points would be an XEP-80 emulator, using the GPIO pins and a joystick port.

• Like 1

Again with eBay whining? Guess what, don't like the price, don't buy it. Don't like that someone bought it and is offering it for a higher price? Too bad.

You can always tell who's conducted real world business transactions, and who lives in a fantasyland where they think prices should be 'fair', according to their standard.

If the seller has overpriced an item, only they will suffer, no one else, when it doesn't sell. If someone buys it, it wasn't overpriced.

• Like 3

The ATR8000 was on my want list for many years, even though I'm not sure how much actual CP/M computing I'll ever do. Atari has it's own version of Visicalc, that can use extended memory beyond CP/M's 64K on ATR8000 or Indus GT CP/M, FJC's The Last Word blows away CP/M WordStar and is in 80 column, etc. But I wanted one just the same. But then last year or earlier this year I bought the CA-2001 Indus GT clone that has the CP/M part already included and I like having it in the much smaller disk drive instead of that big ATR8000 taking up the entire desktop. Still, I'd get one if I found one for extra cheap now, but otherwise I do think it's easier to get an Indus GT or clone with CP/M for less money.

If the ATR8000 was an actual Atari released peripheral I would have to have one. But since it's third-party, my third-party CA-2001 works.

Edited by Gunstar

While everything "reimaged/re-imagined" is somehow nice, this doesn't seem to be overly useful. The only unique feature (not considering the Indus GT) is running CP/M on the Atari. You could certainly use it to keep some old, "plain" floppy drives working but given the abundance of other storage options you'd probably only want to do this to stay absolutely "period", something a re-imagined device won't fit into.

One could argue that a few of the re-imagined / re-imaged devices in the past few years are not "overly useful." Since the ATR could use floppies of various sizes and densities, had printer and serial ports, could add an Intel processor and run a version of DOS... it seems a rather unique device. A MIO is way more useful and sure, if you wanted to just get into CP/M then yeah a GT with the CP/M module is probably a better way to go. But, I'm also thinking about the fact there is a thread discussing reverse engineering the P:R: connection and how interesting it would be to possibly combine multiple projects into one expandable board that could do many things. Maybe a board that sat in a 1050 case just like Atari's prototype CP/M module.

If the seller has overpriced an item, only they will suffer, no one else, when it doesn't sell. If someone buys it, it wasn't overpriced.

I've been saying this about cable TV and internet costs for years. People keep saying it's too expensive, I tell them if they continue to pay it, it's not too expensive. The rise in recent years of Amazon Fire Sticks with Kodi and 'grey' streaming addons shows that the cable companies are just on the edge of what is too expensive. As wealth inequality continues to grow the fire sticks will continue to become more popular.

Atari stuff used to be cheaper on eBay, back then there was lots of it and no one wanted it. Now there is a resurgence in 'retro' and Atari stuff is more sought after, it's also getting harder to find in working condition (notice how we think it's OK to buy a 'for parts' item and try to repair it now) so prices are going up, it's a sellers market.

This is why I was looking forward to a re-imaged 1090 expansion box, we could have everything we want on cards all through the PBI/ECI. It wouldn't have to be some all-in-one box that may not actually have everything in it that some want anyway, or stuff that others could care less about. A 1090 box is made, and everybody makes cards for it, for memory, CP/M, Syscheck and Atari Salt, HDD, external OS, networking, everything. Just buy the box, maybe with a couple of built-in must-have features without any additional cards, and choose which upgrade cards you want as developers make them, and it makes it easier to develop upgrades and maybe even an upgrade could be worked out for 800 with Incognito and it's PBI capabilities to connect to a 1090 (via ribbon cable or whatever).

I of course, will buy upgrades in whatever form, especially PBI now that my 1200XL has one, but it would have been so much better with a modern re-imaged 1090 box.

Edited by Gunstar

I never even heard of this ATR8000 thing until seeing this thread. I briefly got excited, thinking of running CP/M stuff on the Atari... but then I remembered how equally excited I was to run CP/M stuff on the C128 - and how horribly that turned out. I couldn't get a single damn piece of CP/M software to actually work. (reminds me of to trying to run Unix/Linux stuff on an Amiga)

I think I'd rather use my Kaypros for CP/M and use the Atari for the fun, colourful Atari-like stuff.

Edited by Mr.Amiga500

I never even heard of this ATR8000 thing until seeing this thread. I briefly got excited, thinking of running CP/M stuff on the Atari... but then I remembered how equally excited I was to run CP/M stuff on the C128 - and how horribly that turned out. I couldn't get a single damn piece of CP/M software to actually work. (reminds me of to trying to run Unix/Linux stuff on an Amiga)

Here’s MoparStephen’s video running Wordstar on an Indus:

https://youtu.be/Z21kW0uQOyE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Here’s MoparStephen’s video running Wordstar on an Indus:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! Not that it matters, but that was running on an Indus GT with SRAM addition. The ATR experience would be the same. I have dozens of disks, and can help you get stuff running if you like.

• Like 1