IGNORED

WTF is going on with AtariGuide 7800 PS?

Swami

334 dollars.. 5 sold . Gee I could pay someone 100 bucks or so to take apart a 7800 and wire in another plug and adapter.

Who would be so stupid to pay that much??

Thats a scam for that price. Typical amazon pricing. Good deals if you know what the real price should be. Amazon is not like zellers where the lowest price is the law.

Oh wait..

334 dollars.. 5 sold . Gee I could pay someone 100 bucks or so to take apart a 7800 and wire in another plug and adapter.

Thats a scam for that price. Typical amazon pricing. Good deals if you know what the real price should be. Amazon is not like zellers where the lowest price is the law.

Oh wait..

That would not cost $100 to do...

Oh wait..

The 5 that sold went for $21.50

• Like 1

No one has paid over $300 for that adapter. $334.85 is a number that guy uses on a bunch of his auctions and is most likely a place holder until he gets more in stock.

I dont get it.. 334.85?

Why do not you just remove the listing?

Who excpets to pay that much??

Scammer.

Added to my cart shows $358.52 as the total with shipping. I can buy 3 if you want. But I am not going to just to prove a point. But I gave it a screenshot as evidence of BS.

So proof people are asking too much for simple items trying to scam people.

I will change your oil for 1200.00 on your chevy gramps. Some people have no shame.

Should work in a call center in India.

Edited by Jinks

I dont get it.. 334.85?

Why do not you just remove the listing?

Who excpets to pay that much??

Scammer.

It's not a scam, the seller does not expect to sell any at that price an no one would be stupid enough buy at that price.

Google "placeholder listings". It also happens on Amazon and has been going on for many years. Hard to believe you've never heard of it.

It's not a scam, the seller does not expect to sell any at that price an no one would be stupid enough buy at that price.

Google "placeholder listings". It also happens on Amazon and has been going on for many years. Hard to believe you've never heard of it.

In other words, he may not get any more in even though it says he has them in stock. It is a confusing way to do things.

Agree with TT - nobody in their right mind would pay that much for any power adapter for an Atari machine, especially a modern Chinese third party adapter. Guy more than likely sold a few at $25, then jacked the price up as a placeholder or whatever. The quantity sold stays as part of the listing, as does the ridiculous figure of $334.85, but doesn't mean that *any* actually sold at that price.

Ok then. So if I have 3 items left I make the price 12x of what it should be then no one will should buy it.

He could sell his last 3 at this price as I have proven. But instead this is not real it is a "placeholder." Too keep sane people away from buying the last 3 as they are "placeholder stock"

Ok then. So if I have 3 items left I make the price 12x of what it should be then no one will should buy it.

He could sell his last 3 at this price as I have proven. But instead this is not real it is a "placeholder." Too keep sane people away from buying the last 3 as they are "placeholder stock"

Lol...do you seriously think he really has 3 in stock because it says he has 3 in stock? Does eBay send an agent out to each seller's home/business to make sure their stock matches what they enter in for every auction?

They can have 10 items and enter that they have 100. The point is NOT to let eBay know they have NO stock left.

If they keep that auction going, they keep the item number with views, watchers, etc. and it continues to come up with a "best match" when people search for that item.

Personally, if I had a business selling on eBay, I would leave at least one item left in stock when I jacked up the price. That way if some dumb ass comes along and buys at that price, I'd be able to get my money from the moron. And it would still not be a scam in any sort of way.

Years ago when people would sell a $30 item for $1 and $29 shipping, were you one of those people who were flabbergasted at the exorbitant shipping charges? Totally not getting that sellers found a loophole to sell an item at the going rate while skirting eBay fees?

there could be another side to this...

I recently bought some of the AV kits for the Intellivision from the guy in Turkey through Ebay. I normally would buy from his store, but for some odd reason, PayPal wouldn't authorize the transaction when I tried to purchase from his actual website store as I had in the past. Anyway, it cost me about $10 more overall for 2 adapters through ebay. Then I see a thread elsewhere here that the same seller had suddenly jacked the price of those kits to like $70 each with a shipping that was pretty outrageous as well. I emailed the guy in Turkey about this increase in the cost and his answer was interesting, but also sorta on part with being a placeholder listing now.

He stated first that PayPal wouldn't let me pay through PayPal from his website because apparently PayPal had shut down operations in Turkey over the summer. Okay...so why the price increase?

He stated that he didn't have to pay for taxes from PayPal unless he has over 200 sales a year. So apparently towards the end of the year or when he starts to get close to that 200th sale mark, he will jack up the price on his products through his ebay listings to prevent the sales from actually happening and taking him over that 200 sales mark. Then after the 1st of the year he would bring all of his prices back down to where they normally are. I hadn't heard of this before but I guess it makes sense. He doesn't want sales to go above 200 a year so he doesn't have to pay taxes on his paypal account it would seem but he also doesn't want to end those listings for the products. So he jacks up the price to prevent people from actually wanting to buy the items but still keep them alive on ebay so he can go back and change it again later when he does wish to sell.

So I guess that is one way of describing the why behind a Placeholder auction listing?

Lol...do you seriously think he really has 3 in stock because it says he has 3 in stock? Does eBay send an agent out to each seller's home/business to make sure their stock matches what they enter in for every auction?

They can have 10 items and enter that they have 100. The point is NOT to let eBay know they have NO stock left.

If they keep that auction going, they keep the item number with views, watchers, etc. and it continues to come up with a "best match" when people search for that item.

Personally, if I had a business selling on eBay, I would leave at least one item left in stock when I jacked up the price. That way if some dumb ass comes along and buys at that price, I'd be able to get my money from the moron. And it would still not be a scam in any sort of way.

Years ago when people would sell a $30 item for $1 and $29 shipping, were you one of those people who were flabbergasted at the exorbitant shipping charges? Totally not getting that sellers found a loophole to sell an item at the going rate while skirting eBay fees?

LOL! Yeah, why should we expect anything in an eBay listing to actually be true. :-D