IGNORED

H.E.R.O. sprite hack

TIX

I finally solved the problem with the bat.. it was a misaligned frame that caused the jitters :-D

So here is the final version with the current set of critters !

Changes included are: tweaked bat, crab and spider.

Can I ask from someone, an altirra save state in an advanced level.. so that I can check the giant claw in-game ?

I simply don't have the ability to play up to that point to check the changes :roll:

Enjoy or not..

H.E.R.O. hack (critter set 1) rc.xex

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can I ask from someone, an altirra save state in an advanced level.. so that I can check the giant claw in-game ?

I simply don't have the ability to play up to that point to check the changes :roll:

Any news on that ?

If that's impossible, how about a cheat or invincibility hack to help me out here ????

I already tried the cheat options in altirra, but I still die on the radioactive walls...

Thanks anyway

Edited by TIX

I got around to trying the RC version last night. I asked that you make it a game that I want to play because it's not so close to the 2600 version. You have accomplished that. I LOVE the new animated copter-man and some of the new creatures, others at least are still better than the original at least, if I don't "love" them. But I actually played long enough to get good enough again to get to and pass level 7. I'm sure I must have gotten much farther way back when on the 2600 version, but I didn't recall how expansive and complicated later levels get, and I'm loving it, especially watching copter-man with the great new graphics and animation! Of course now I'll just start the game on level 5 pro...How about a similar upgrade to Pitfall II's Pitfall Harry and creatures? Or maybe the secret second level version or both? Dare one upgrade sprites on the legendary Pitfall II?

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

ok... then it's me that I don't like it after playing :D. I found the new Roderick fat and standing wrong imho. same with some creatues. but i have played HERO on 2600 to death and A8. so i am out... ;)

i even don't like that while running hands are animated? Sure that gives you not issues later? As original not...

And for me... if you hack Pitfall 2 I would play the original :D

All Activision 8-bit cartridge games were very underwhelming graphically for the 8-bits and need upgrading IMHO. Good for the 2600 does not equal good for the 800 IMHO. I wish TIX knew how to upgrade background graphics too. Even if it's just better art within the same limitations graphically, like the sprites.

Game play was never in question, Activision translated that as closely from the 2600 to the 800 as they did the graphics. Good for game play, still the most important thing, but bad for what the hardware can do and deserves graphically. That finally started changing when Activision moved away from cartridge games on computers, after the video game crash, and started developing more sophisticated disk based software, like Ghost Busters.

There were a couple of exceptions to this rule, like PastFinder (Pathfinder?-I always get those titles mixed up).

Edited by Gunstar

I got around to trying the RC version last night. I asked that you make it a game that I want to play because it's not so close to the 2600 version. You have accomplished that. I LOVE the new animated copter-man and some of the new creatures, others at least are still better than the original at least, if I don't "love" them. But I actually played long enough to get good enough again to get to and pass level 7. I'm sure I must have gotten much farther way back when on the 2600 version, but I didn't recall how expansive and complicated later levels get, and I'm loving it, especially watching copter-man with the great new graphics and animation! Of course now I'll just start the game on level 5 pro...How about a similar upgrade to Pitfall II's Pitfall Harry and creatures? Or maybe the secret second level version or both? Dare one upgrade sprites on the legendary Pitfall II?

Thanks Gunstar I appreciate the kind words :)

Unbelievably down my list I have Pitfall II.. will see, after I'm done with Beef Drop of course !

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hello,

trying to get my mind off of Bruce Lee's hack, I hacked in a new run animation for HERO's protagonist !

I had drawn this several months ago and I meant to inject it but other things got in the way..

God it was bad.. much better now :D

Roderick-old.gif.19332d1fed84d325b6a34ec47ce6fe76.gif             Roderick-new.gif.813f6fe72aaada7239429a1f87b11725.gif

So here is the new version of Roderick Hero (I have also introduced a new little creature) !

H.E.R.O. (new Roderick hack).xex

Edited by TIX
  • Like 9

• 1 year later...

Ok so I'm a whole year late.. :P

Interesting hack.. but I don't like how you can run into the spider "string" when he is going back up.  On the original unmodified version you can actually slip underneath the spider when he is moving up.  Not so in this version.  Otherwise it seems pretty ok.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ascrnet said:

as always friend a perfect design taking full advantage of the pixel art. ?

Thanks man !

to be honest, it's looking a bit clunky to me after a year..

Someday down the line I'll need a coders help to make him run correctly and shoot from his gun NOT his head  :lolblue:

Actually, I have already accomplished that, in my work for the Intelivision -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RSmsGtIDTM&feature=emb_logo

Edited by TIX
  • Like 2