IGNORED

Vectrex SD Cart?

adamchevy

Didnt consider caps as everything else I throw at it works perfectly fine, just the to vecmulti carts.

I did pull out my other system and they load up perfectly. Its definitely something with the system or cart slot. Acts like it's not making contact properly on all pins

The vecmulti didn't work in his unit even after the caps, but my other multicarts did work with his unit. I almost wonder if something wrong in the rom area on the vectrex is being exploited. My friends unit still works like a champ, it just didn't like my vecmulti.

good day.

It might be interesting to you guys, during some beta tests for my new game "vectorblade" we had similar troubles on one specific vectrex.

If you care to read about it, please look at the Thread: http://vide.malban.de/forums/topic/peer-testing-notes-findings-suggestion-etc (starting from topic 5)

Our current conclusion is, that in very few Vectrex the VIA (6522) can not hold a stable (enough) voltage level on the PB6 pin, if that happens "wild" bankswitching can occur, which usually crashes the machine.

We were able to remedy a "faulty" vectrex by inserting a new VIA (which are still availble and not too expensive). Also on all (to me) known Vectrex, the VIA chip is socketed.

Regards

Malban

Edited by Malban
  • Like 3

I also have a Vectrex that did not work with the VecMulti, we tried a couple cartridges and when they were sent back to Richard, they worked fine on his Vectrex. He ended up replacing it with a VecFlash that works great with my Vectrex.

He would need to have hands on with a "non-compatible" unit...for me, that would be shipping it across the pond....expensive and getting it back working is a gamble.

I am just posting this as a heads up that there is a possibility the VecMulti may not work with your Vectrex.

• Like 1

Received the new VIA chips, same results unfortunately. Ran Malbam's weirdtest.bin, splash screen for test appears then black screen so it appears fine.

Used the menu builder again on the vecmulti just in case something was strange on the cart but still same result.

Seems there are some vectrex out there that simply will not run the multicart. Pics of original and new via below

Original VIA chip for Vectrex

Replacement VIA for Vectrex System

Replacement VIA for Vectrex System

Original VIA chip for Vectrex

• Like 1

I had a similar issue on a friend's Vectrex. It's older than my "nobuzz" version (I was installing a nobuzz fix). Menu of the VecMulti got trashed after a few pages. It worked just fine on my machine.

Guess it needs some probing to figure out.

On 6/10/2019 at 7:33 PM, mooshue said:

Received the new VIA chips, same results unfortunately.  Ran Malbam's weirdtest.bin, splash screen for test appears then black screen so it appears fine. 

Used the menu builder again on the vecmulti just in case something was strange on the cart but still same result.

Seems there are some vectrex out there that simply will not run the multicart.  Pics of original and new via below

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:31168]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:31167]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:31167]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:31168]

I am in the exact same spot right now.

I ordered the multicard from Richard, but it didn't work in my Vectrex. So I sent it back and it worked fine in Richard's Vectrex. He then alerted me to this topic. So I ordered a spare VIA and Richard sent the Vecmulti back.

Sadly, also with the new VIA the multicard will not work. Normal games work fine. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: here's a short clip I shot for Richard, showcasing how it crashes: 

Edited by chaozz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to send my vectrex logic board to Richard so he can poke around and see what's different about these specific Vectrex systems.

The carts do work, my other system plays them perfectly fine. its definitely the Vectrex system so hang onto your vecmulti while we try to work through this.

• Thanks 1

I am in a similar boat as others with the VecMulti not working well in my Vectrex. I did learn that one must absolutely not format the SD card using the default functionality in Windows 10 (at least for me, it never worked). As suggested elsewhere, the formatter from sdcard.org seems to work best. For me, I can get the cart to boot into the menu, but the bulk of games either wont load (choosing one leads to a blank screen), work maybe for a few seconds before crashing to either a blank screen or some other garbled screen, load but look/behave oddly or in the case of Scramble, some games start but the ship/controlled item immediately explodes/dies so it's impossible to actually play a game. I'm hoping someone figures out a final solution so I am holding onto my cart for now.  In the meantime, I have finally gotten around to starting to install my Vectrex Controller kit into the VecJoy case (

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/240542-new-vectrex-joystick-kit-for-sale/page/10/)

(Just FYI I had some problems at first with soft reboots not initialising properly, but since I have my vectrex on a voice-activated power switch anyway and it's just as easy to power off and on again, I haven't had any more problems)

As much as Richard's 3D printed enclosure is a nice design, I wanted mine in a proper cart ?:

20190625_150357.jpg

20190625_150249.jpg

20190625_150220.jpg

• Like 1

@gtoal Why you stuck up snot! JK, looks nice but I seem to like the cases that come with these. Makes them stand out as something special.

@chaozz I got my multicart yesterday. When I get a chance to test it I'll make sure I don't have any issues as well.

Edited by zezba9000

On 6/17/2019 at 9:10 AM, mooshue said:

I'm going to send my vectrex logic board to Richard so he can poke around and see what's different about these specific Vectrex systems.

The carts do work, my other system plays them perfectly fine. its definitely the Vectrex system so hang onto your vecmulti while we try to work through this.

Just tested my brand new "vecmulti" and I have the exact same issue as you. Title screen loaded fine fist time but games didn't load correctly and after I hit the reset button the title screen had words all offset wrong like a pointer was shifted. Did you get any more info about this yet?

Let me know if I can send any info from my Vectrex device that would be useful to figure this out. Glad to help if I can.

The internal game and my external official cart work just fine.

I'll take a video later today and post it after work for comparison.

Also is there an alternative to the "vecmulti" that works if this ends up being a dead end? I wanted this for homebrew testing more than anything else.

Edited by zezba9000