IGNORED

Classic Kong Demo

swapd0

• 3 weeks later...

I put this on my Skunkboard this AM and gave it a couple of quick run-throughs.

Unlike the previous demo this one doesn't lock up after one screen completed.

Looks good, plays well. I didn't notice any issues. I look forward to seeing more!

Game is great, there's no way the massive slow down near the end of a level isn't bug related though may it be direct or indirectly related to coding as the Jag can certainly handle what's happening on-screen.

I am curious what testing purpose you are using the #6 for while having hammer in hand to blank out all the animated objects on screen is used for? #3 seems to offset the entire screen momentarily.

Have only made it to level 7 so far but will keep pushing on. The only recommendation I have at this point is to possibly lessen the volume of her screeching help me Oh NOOoooooo voice haha... otherwise it's good stuff! =) thanks for posting the ROM!

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 1

Really nice, impressive.

But, there is a lag when getting the hammer and also when it goes away.

And the left side of the the background scroller kind of flickers.

Sometimes it changes, then the right side flickers.

Edited by 42bs

Yes, maybe all sounds effects need to be normalised.

It looks that I need to speed up the code, also I want to change u235se to the latest version.

Looking forward to it. Not sure how far it has been play tested but nice to see variety at least once you get to L7, not sure what else to expect if anything but hopefully a higher score =)

Really nice, impressive.

But, there is a lag when getting the hammer and also when it goes away.

And the left side of the the background scroller kind of flickers.

Sometimes it changes, then the right side flickers.

It's an issue with the way the OP works, I'm using a 256 pixel resolution but the OP renders a few more pixel, also I don't have any clipping code and on the right side of a sprite you can't clip with pixel precision.

I'm going to fix it drawing two black strips on each side to display only 256 pixels, this was in my TODO list long time ago XD but I need those extra pixels to see the CPU usage changing BG register.

Edited by swapd0
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Looks great, Kong was always one of my favourite arcade games and this looks really good. I actually like the fact that you are trying to do something with the backgrounds and not just have the traditional black screens - would be interesting as a selectable option - background on/background off, but I really like the fact it's not just a black screen.

As other people have said Nintendo are one of those firms who protect their I.Ps vigourously. I guess that's partly down to the fact that they keep using the same characters over and over again for every new machine they ever release. I have been watching the Nintendo Switch release games and most of the AAA titles released have been slight revamps of the Wii u titles that failed to sell. Nintendo really must be rubbing their hands with glee that Super Mario Bros - Mario Kart - Splatoon - DK Tropical Freeze and many others that failed to find a buyer on Wiiu are selling like hot cakes on the Switch - even Zelda Breath of the Wild was a Wiiu release (at same time as Switch release though)

But yes, as people suggest, a name change would be very wise - looking good though, and actually looking more polished already than one or two games that have been released on cartridge over the last year or two... Great work.