IGNORED

Two player rotary support with Zerosquare?

I've been playing around with RAPTOR Basic+ and my new Skunkboard, and I'm having a lot of fun with it! I've been writing a bunch of basic input/display/sound tests and so far so good. I'm using Zerosquare because I want the .mp3 and .wav support, but is it possible to do two player rotary support with it? I have no problem reading either port one at a time, but I don't see a good way to do both.

I've tried calling each pad in succession like this (pseudocode):

CALL Input_SetRotaryMode

do
   CALL ZEROPAD()

CALL Input_SetJoyPort1
   pad1 = zero_left_pad
   xpos1 = xpos1-zero_rotary_delta

CALL Input_SetJoyPort2
   pad2 = zero_right_pad
   xpos2 = xpos2-zero_rotary_delta
loop

This gives unexpected results. I don't think zero_rotary_delta keeps track of state for each pad, so they end up competing with each other and overwriting that variable.

I'm using Zerosquare

Hey!

I don't think zero_rotary_delta keeps track of state for each pad, so they end up competing with each other and overwriting that variable.

That's correct. It only supports one rotary pad at the same time. I didn't envision someone using more than one, since they're not particularly widespread or cheap.

What kind of games are you writing? Are rotaries required, or just supported? In the former case, it would limit the audience quite a bit.

Makes sense, thanks for the confirmation!

I'm just familiarizing myself with the platform right now, so I'm starting to make a two-player Pong game. I wanted to support (but not require) rotary controllers for both players. The audience would definitely be limited, but I'd at least have fun with it. :)

• Like 2

Well, tell you what: you go ahead and do your thing and if you come up with something instead of feature requests (a binary for example), we can all flog/guilt trip Zerosquare into adding this to his code and then to RB+ :). RB+ has always been development driven: when someone does stuff and is missing a feature and we deem it useful (and feeling up to it) then we add it in.

• Like 1

Well, tell you what: you go ahead and do your thing and if you come up with something instead of feature requests (a binary for example), we can all flog/guilt trip Zerosquare into adding this to his code and then to RB+ :). RB+ has always been development driven: when someone does stuff and is missing a feature and we deem it useful (and feeling up to it) then we add it in.

I didn't make a feature request... Just a clarification request, which I received. Thank you, Zerosquare! I might be down for some guilt tripping later, though. ;)

Edited by Infinite_Tim
  • Like 1