IGNORED

Memory upgrade questions

Lastic

So as a newbie to the Atari world, I decided to take the plunge in April this year and have meanwhile acquired :

• 130XE PAL
  • Sophia Rev.C DVI upgrade
  • Uno cart
  • Atari 1050
  • AVG cart
  • XF551
  • DragonCart
  • Sdrive2
  • Atari 850
  • WiModem232
  • SX212
  • SIO2SD
  • XC12

The only thing keeping me starting up Altirra is 128 Kb RAM, as such I'm thinking of performing the last <Ultimate> upgrade.

Current options are :

1. wait until somebody sells their 320XE
  2. wait until TurboFreezer becomes available ( I do like the fact that carts would be vertical inserted and the freezer/debugger option )
  3. install the Ultimate 1Mb

Only doubt I have concerning the Ultimate is the install since my Sophia board is taking up some space already and I prefer to leave the shield in it's place.

Proposed Lotharek 130XE install

post-64282-0-94489100-1544304321_thumb.jpg

VS

my 130XE , Shield On

post-64282-0-70585700-1544304375_thumb.jpg

my 130XE, Shield Off

post-64282-0-26723800-1544304451_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions ?

Apart of the extra RAM, SpartaDos-X , and RTC , any pro/cons for the Ultimate ? I'm not planning on buying a SIDE2/3.

Edited by Lastic

Well, the Utimate+SIDE2 combo in the only one on that list above that will truly bring the best out of your 130XE, plus having (by FAR) the best-low level support with Jon's *epic* system BIOS.

The original version of Ultimate had the connectors standing up-right, and allowed for preserving shields (as you rightfully point out), especially if install location is facing the back of the machine... Here's what I managed to get on my RevC. 800XLs...

post-29379-0-13026500-1544305307_thumb.jpg

post-29379-0-60366000-1544305315_thumb.jpg

post-29379-0-02848000-1544305329_thumb.jpg

I am on the same page as you (e.g. anything other than keeping shields is basically butchering), but with the current Ultimate's horizontally-aligned pin-headers, you will have to plan VERY carefully, especially when you get close to the left or right sides of the machine, as shields also fall into place, right there...

• Like 3

I continued my Google search and might have found something from a 700 EUR upgraded machine available at Wolfsoft.de , FYI https://www.wolfsoft.de/shop/product_info.php/products_id/15184/cPath/339/atari-8-bit/atari-130-xe-rgb-(vxbe),-ultimate-1mb-

Here is the picture where it looks like the Ultimate is installed on top of the ECI , would have to check height clearance with the shield and top cover.

post-64282-0-72360900-1544306914.png

SysCheck 2 connects to the 130XE ECI port and will give you 4 re-flash-able OS's(one is diagnostic), 512K ram and a cartridge port that sticks up vertically, all with no installation required. And is portable to other XL/XE computers.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/278661-announcement-sys-check-got-some-siblings/

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4

SysCheck 2 connects to the 130XE ECI port and will give you 4 re-flash-able OS's(one is diagnostic), 512K ram and a cartridge port that sticks up vertically, all with no installation required. And is portable to other XL/XE computers.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/278661-announcement-sys-check-got-some-siblings/

Totally overlooked the vertical cartridge port and have now also noticed that he also sells a 512 Kb RAM only expansion also, aargh, more choices ... :)

Well, the Utimate+SIDE2 combo in the only one on that list above that will truly bring the best out of your 130XE, plus having (by FAR) the best-low level support with Jon's *epic* system BIOS.

The original version of Ultimate had the connectors standing up-right, and allowed for preserving shields (as you rightfully point out), especially if install location is facing the back of the machine... Here's what I managed to get on my RevC. 800XLs...

I am on the same page as you (e.g. anything other than keeping shields is basically butchering), but with the current Ultimate's horizontally-aligned pin-headers, you will have to plan VERY carefully, especially when you get close to the left or right sides of the machine, as shields also fall into place, right there...

Actually, I just bought an Ultimate 1MB a few months ago, and it was back to using the vertical headers. I was concerned about space with the horizontal and was pleasantly surprised when I opened the package and saw that they were vertical.

You might also consider the Antonia 4MB upgrade. It's a bit smaller and easier to fit.

Edited by JR>
  • Like 2

Actually, I just bought an Ultimate 1MB a few months ago, and it was back to using the vertical headers. I was concerned about space with the horizontal and was pleasantly surprised when I opened the package and saw that they were vertical.

You might also consider the Antonia 4MB upgrade. It's a bit smaller and easier to fit.

EXCELLENT NEWS !!!

I am, in fact, in need of a new one, with vertically-oriented pins (one of the two I have seems to have a problem with its clock, as it is draining the battery pretty fast...)

Going to eBay, now...

Thanks!

• Like 1

It seems the 1088XEL group's constant begging and moaning paid off :)

Lotharek's eBay store seems like a half-way baked cake... no eBay protection, does NOT accept emails through eBay (which means, by eBay policy) you have no recourse if what you get physically and/or in writing does not end up being true.

In any case, I just went to his site, and posted a very specific question regarding pin-headers orientation and JTAG header, as well. His site is full with conflicting images, which do not allow you to take a firm conclusion, though.

Let's see... but it could be GREAT NEWS !!!

Edited by Faicuai

Lotharek's eBay store seems like a half-way baked cake... no eBay protection, does NOT accept emails through eBay (which means, by eBay policy) you have no recourse if what you get physically and/or in writing does not end up being true.

In any case, I just went to his site, and posted a very specific question regarding pin-headers orientation and JTAG header, as well. His site is full with conflicting images, which do not allow you to take a firm conclusion, though.

Let's see... but it could be GREAT NEWS !!!

His ebay ad doesn't appear to have been updated since 2016, but if you scroll down, he does list an email address and even a phone number in the ad. I bought mine in June of this year.

YAY!!! CONFIRMED by direct email!!!

This is what I got:

post-29379-0-14531400-1544339189_thumb.jpeg

Finally my replacement board!! NOTHING out there like ULTIMATE + SIDE + Jon´s BIOS for the XL / XE lineup!! (SysCheck is a great plan B, as I also got it as my standalone diagnostics bench)

Order placed on ebay. Hurry guys, as there are only two units left on eBay's reported inventory!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 3

Order placed on ebay. Hurry guys, as there are only two units left on eBay's reported inventory!

You can always get them via lotharek.pl I'd assume. That's his main outlet and I always buy there. His service and speed of shipping are great (at least living in Europe, so just flight hour away) and his packaging is second only to tf_hh's (who surprised me with anti-static zip-loc bags).

• Like 1

OK then Antonia is off the table.

So the currently available choices boil down to

1. SysCheck 40 EUR + 9 EUR shipping
  2. Ultimate 1Mb 56 EUR + shipping depending on choice of courier

Since I'm in Europe and a neighbouring country of Germany , postage and shipping distance would be approx. the same as from Poland .

I've mailed Lotharek to check the dimensions of the Ultimate board , I think the Ultimate might be more interesting option in the long run ?

Interesting location you chose for the DVI port on your Sophia! Most people remove the modulator and solder that daughterboard into the freed up space.

I was going to say that the headers on the Ultimate are now vertical and that you can mount the board above the cart/sio area but others have beaten me to it.

Have a look at the XEL-CF3, at the moment its only for the 1088XEL but Michael was making noises about possibly developing a version for for existing Ataris some time in the future.