IGNORED

Own a rare piece of Atari history! A working CX-2000 Prototype!

furious_01

Well, my garage sale partner has finally made the conscious decision to part with this wonderful piece of Atari history - the elusive CX-2000, otherwise known as "VAL". This unit not been cleaned, disassembled, and/or modified in any shape or form. Since its recovery, it's been stored securely in a temperature controlled environment. In fact, the only thing that has been done to it, was to test its functionality just yesterday. Low and behold, IT WORKS!!!

As for asking price, he wanted to start with $18K OBO. Yes, I know it's not chump change (to most people anyways), but this is for a functioning piece of tech gaming history - 1 in maybe 10 worldwide to be in existence. And you can actually play with it!!! Due to the nature of this item, only serious buyers are welcome. The transaction will only be done in person at a bank - whether it be in cash, cashier's check or wire and full inspection of the unit, including functionality can be arranged prior to the official exchange.

********* Edit: Let's go with $11K OBO. I know it's not as reduced as some believe it's worth and that's fine. As mentioned in the thread below, ALL SERIOUS OFFERS ARE WELCOME. Looking to broker for my partner a win-win transaction that leaves everyone happy. I promise it will be an efficient, professional, and safe process for all parties involved.

Here is the original post I made not even a month ago in order to discover more about it:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/285249-atari-cx-2000-val-prototype-information/

post-66630-0-38776400-1544368787_thumb.jpg

post-66630-0-21765800-1544368897_thumb.jpg

post-66630-0-56655500-1544369010_thumb.jpg

post-66630-0-99070600-1544369033_thumb.jpg

post-66630-0-01718500-1544369064_thumb.jpg

Edited by furious_01

Way less. It's almost irrelevant. Let's assume it was $10.

Irrelevant, probably... but interesting (at least to me), most certainly!

I always find it interesting how something will go from seemingly worthless at a garage sale one day to having an asking price of $18,000 the next.

And yes, I realize this is how collectibles work and how one persons trash is another ones treasure and it is by far their fault for not doing better research into what they are selling at a garage sale, but absoultely interesting nonetheless.

Pretty sure the most one of these blue ones has ever sold for was $10k. That one was pretty much mint condition too just so you know. That sale involved an established and reputable seller to a high end collector. Not many people with the scratch to buy one of these out there. Conbine that with the fact that one sold in recent years taking said buyer out of the running as well. Best of luck with your sale. I hope you trying to get near double the highest ever sale price doesn't turn away any potentially interested buyers. The ones with the big bucks tend to get turned off if they think sellers are being too greedy.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the most one of these blue ones has ever sold for was $10k. That one was pretty much mint condition too just so you know. That sale involved an established and reputable seller to a high end collector. Not many people with the scratch to buy one of these out there. Conbine that with the fact that one sold in recent years taking said buyer out of the running as well. Best of luck with your sale. I hope you trying to get near double the highest ever sale price doesn't turn away any potentially interested buyers. The ones with the big bucks tend to get turned off if they think sellers are being too greedy.

What’s wrong with you?

A new member joins the group only to milk us for information so he can then sell his item to the very same group for max profit with as little risk as possible.

Can’t you give a guy the benefit of the doubt?

• Like 3

Your viewpoint is understood. I actually advised my buddy to list it for less based on what I had seen - but, I felt the $18K was okay for two reasons. One being that we expect to it to be negotiated regardless (ie. list it for $8K, it will get challenged to $5K) and two being that it does say OBO. Any offers are welcome. He is motivated to sell this, but doesn't want to be shortchanged at the same time. The intent is for this to be a win-win with both parties happy. This piece deserves to have a good home.

Even if you take $10,000 off that price, you will have a tough time selling this. Trust me.

I get it. Not everyone has $8-10K (much less $18K) laying around to purchase a hunk of plastic and outdated circuitry/technology - however, this is a rare piece and it functions. TBH, I expected this type of response and understand the viewpoint. As noted in my original thread about this item, I'm a newbie in this world so I'm just trying to learn more than anything else. I accepted the undertaking of helping my partner sell this item so I appreciate the viewpoint.

Take it easy. Yes, I'm a new member. No ill will intended. I was sincerely asking for information not as ammunition, but for education. I'm not here to disrespect your website/forum. And FWIW, there wasn't too much given in terms of value, which if advised, I would have tried harder to convince my partner to start out with a lower opening price. But, it's there at $18K OBO. Not keen on $18K? I get it. As mentioned, serious offers are welcome.

What’s wrong with you?
A new member joins the group only to milk us for information so he can then sell his item to the very same group for max profit with as little risk as possible.
Can’t you give a guy the benefit of the doubt?

I get it. Not everyone has $8-10K (much less $18K) laying around to purchase a hunk of plastic and outdated circuitry/technology - however, this is a rare piece and it functions. TBH, I expected this type of response and understand the viewpoint. As noted in my original thread about this item, I'm a newbie in this world so I'm just trying to learn more than anything else. I accepted the undertaking of helping my partner sell this item so I appreciate the viewpoint.

I know really well, I am insane enough that I opened mine, which is in much better condition. ;) Can't find the pics right now, was a while ago. ;)

• Like 1

Yes, cleaner than yours and less expensive. It is less expensive and being sold by one of the most inflated sellers around. IMO you are way, way high.

Yeah - pretty sure I can take it from here. Previously uneducated about the unit and its value, yes - unable to catch on after the prior 3 inputs spelled it out for me, no.