IGNORED

5200 OE HSC 2019 controller poll and suggestion thread

zylon

11 members have voted

1. 1. Use of period correct 3rd party controllers in OE play

• yes
    • no

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Poll has been updated to allow a vote on our controller allowances. Some have asked about the Wico's etc. I personally don't play any better with them, so I don't see a real harm. Question will be closed at month's end. :)

Also, feel free to use this thread with game/level suggestions for next year's games. No reasonable request has been denied thus far. :) Even got my lucky controller working perfect again with a new cable, so I'm ready to play y'all.

Edited by zylon

The OE only has maybe 5 regular players that do at least half the rounds, so unless I see a reasonable amount of approval, nothing will change. The real thing about the OE is the play itself, not so much the titles. Playing in 1983 was much different than playing in retrospect today and the aim is to preserve some of that. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If it is the decision to stick with only the cx52 or other Atari manufactured controls, then so be it. But the only redemption for 5200 is being able to use a controller that works and doesn't cramp your hands. In the past, I've enjoyed the stock sticks because mine were in good shape. But not now! Last night I actually took a part the 5200 console and adjusted the internal Pokey dial. But, I ended up returning it to its original setting, because across my different Sticks, it did not seem to improve the tendency to lean to the right more than the left. I also did the pencil eraser trick for my start buttons and fire buttons and it did improve things. But not a whole lot! I never glued aluminum foil before because I didn't need to, but I could try that next.

But frankly, outside of this HSC, I always use my master play or Wico.

My ideal HSC format is a combination of the current two we have. With original equipment as far as consoles and cartridges are concerned, but with a more open ended controller allowance, given you are still using it on the console. I won't play OE because my arthritic thumbs can't handle it sorry to say.

If one has taken the time to rebuild and calibrate their console there are no pain or playing issues. The CX52 is about as user friendly as it gets, especially compared to the factory 2600 and 7800 joysticks.

Ive set records using the CX52, so I have no complaints.

Personally , Ive always felt emulation was an affront to the entire idea of this forum, but that's not what we are talking about.

Anyway, whatever is decided, we all abide by.

I don’t seem to be able to vote... it is saying that I already have.

I'm getting the same thing, but I'd say keep the OE, as OE equipment only.

Otherwise there's really no reason to run that season.

Crap, that's because I removed the old question and replaced it.

Crap, that's because I removed the old question and replaced it.

Going to post a new poll then?

Or if you just want a manual vote, I'd love to be able to use vintage 5200 controls like the Wico or Competition Pro.

• Like 1

yeah, I'll get one up. just been so tired this week. I never had a comp pro to compare with, but did have some wicos. I'd actually sold them because they didn't improve my game any. Money was better spent on more games. :)

Also ran some various homebrewed paddle setups, but that's a complete game changer and won't be run in this little niche.

Edited by zylon