IGNORED

Joystick Recommendation For Altirra & Windows 10 Without A Driver Install

Atari Nut

Just tried here, with two 2600-daptors, and it is accepting binding from both. This is with an older Altirra version 2.3, on XP. What version and win are you running?

EDIT: Also tried latest Altirra 3.10 on Win 10, and also worked - accepting binding from both 2600-daptors.

Ok, i figured out what i was missing.

I was not explicitly choosing a "Game Controller" in the Altirra Input map setup dialog. So I was just letting those default to "Any".

I realize now that if you select the pull down menu for "Game Controller" then the multiple unique 2600-daptors show up as Game controller 1 and Game controller 2.

I set up Stick port 1 by setting Game Controller to "Game controller 1 [2600-daptor II]" and binded each movement.

Then I did the same for Stick port 2 setting Game Controller to "Game controller 2 [2600-daptor II]" and binded each movement again.

Now it's working great for 2-player action. :)

post-38281-0-13642400-1544842816.jpg

Incidentally I was using Altirra 3.10 on Win Xp.

Ok... time for some Archon, and then maybe some War Room !!

-Eric

• 4 years later...

I was surprised that Wireless Steam Controller works with Altirra out of the box. I have a setup with the input map "Gamepad -> Joystick" (you can also bind Start, Option, Select etc. to the controller's buttons). And it works even in emulated Altirra (Wine on Ubuntu 22.04) ❤️.
I thought about buying a joystick (something like that), but I must say that it's not bad experience to play Atari games with Steam controller.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a simple solution, and you don't need to make any adjustments to the emulator in question. Download joycur. http://cleansofts.org/download/joystickcursor-control-tool.html  Then open it. Click on the icon to the left, and press the keyboard key you want to map. Then press the button and or stick/directional control you want to map the key to on your controller you have set up in windows. The buttons or directional control you are pressing on your controller will light up in light blue along the top. check the selection for that key on the keyboard under the blinking icon. Done. I've been using it for emulators for years, and it always works. 

• 6 months later...
On 12/28/2022 at 2:14 PM, mirao said:

I was surprised that Wireless Steam Controller works with Altirra out of the box.

One more tip for a gamepad: Recently I bought https://www.tomtop.com/p-paa5368-128a.html. You can connect its wireless gamepad conroller to a PC and both included gamepads work well in Altirra in Wine with the configuration "Gamepad -> Joystick" (XInput Controller #1 and #2).

Tested on Ubuntu 23.04. The controller is detected by OS as a USB device "Twin USB Joystick".
I guess it could work in native Windows too.