IGNORED

RespeQt 4.3 beta

ebiguy

Windows (Win10 anyway) provides for an option to override the default UI scaling if something isn't displayed properly. Right click on the executable and you should be able to try it out:

post-30400-0-68458300-1548879273_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-29217800-1548879281_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-64900100-1548879358_thumb.jpg

Every Qt-based app I've used in Windows requires this setting to be made to display properly on my 4K laptop screen.

it may have been a serial killer display but I could see all that I needed to... :)

it would be nice to be aligned and still able to fit it all, I don't think we all have 4k cinema screens yet. I probably never will :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

Courier New looks OK to me, unless there's a way of absolutely positioning the first icon so that proportional and mono-spaced fonts would work equally well for the drive ID (the original font was fine apart from the alignment side-effects).

Good call, found another Qt switch, which scales the contents, rather than expanding the label.

post-38519-0-26462100-1549003715_thumb.png

Edited by JoSch

The holiday helped. The issue seems to be that the layouter ignores the fixed sizing policy, so I had to fix the size by setting the minimum and maximum sizes to the same values.

Now everything is aligned and still has the system fonts.

post-38519-0-90380800-1549524525_thumb.png

• Like 5

100 downloads of the Windows version.

@cpforbes: Could you post the Linux version in this thread also ? I think many AA users are expecting it. BTW, I just merged your pull request on GitHub.

On my side, I made a pause on RespeQt to finish the 1088 XEL but then I will get back to RespeQt.

100 downloads of the Windows version.

@cpforbes: Could you post the Linux version in this thread also ? I think many AA users are expecting it. BTW, I just merged your pull request on GitHub.

On my side, I made a pause on RespeQt to finish the 1088 XEL but then I will get back to RespeQt.

If he doesn't, I'll try to do so later in the weekend (no guarantees - I've got a lot going on lately!). This is your fork, correct?

https://github.com/ebiguy/RespeQt.git

Attached is a version built on Fedora 29 (64bit) it is dynamically linked so would not expect it to work on other distros.

I will try to get a build for Raspbian stretch tomorrow, but I have never tried running it on the Raspberry Pi.

RespeQt-4.3-fc29.gz

• Like 1

Attached is a version built on Fedora 29 (64bit) it is dynamically linked so would not expect it to work on other distros.

I will try to get a build for Raspbian stretch tomorrow, but I have never tried running it on the Raspberry Pi.

I haven't built the latest versions on the Pi, but the main R4 version runs great even on an RPiZeroW, which I normally use as a dedicated RespeQt server. Things in my house are in a bit of disarray as I move stuff around the house so that board isn't currently hooked up, but when I've got it going again, hopefully tomorrow, I'll compile ebiguy's branch and see how it runs - personally, I'm most interested to see how it handles ATX files. It handles high-speed (POKEY divisor 0) transfers well so I'm mildly optimistic.

EDIT: Remembered I still have the board plugged in and running, though not currently connected to an Atari. So I logged in remotely, downloaded ebiguy's fork and started compiling. With the tiny processor and limited RAM it's going to take awhile (about 30 minutes based on past experience) but I'll report back once I verify it runs.

EDIT AGAIN: Looks like compilation failed. This board was last updated about two weeks ago, so the kernel and all the attendant Raspian bits are up to date. Note sure what kind of "internal error" occurred here, as - again - the base R4 compiled fine a year or so ago.

post-30400-0-61320800-1549745147_thumb.jpg

Edited by DrVenkman

I don't have a Debian machine handy, unfortunately.

I went to start up my Ubuntu installation under VirtualBox this afternoon to try there just for another data point, but the Ubuntu virtual machine just hangs on boot after the usual startup text messages. May have to wipe that machine and start over, which would be a pain.

Okay, I got my VirtualBox installtion working again and got your development branch installed and compiled. It seems to run just fine. I'll test some stuff later but of course, it's the same Win10 laptop I'll use to test your Windows develop version too; until I figure out what's what with Raspian, I won't be able to try again on my Pi.

I did a little ATX testing of the Windows version tonight - pretty good, all things considered. :)

Unfortunately, the ATX files for SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD (as one example) don't load properly through RespeQt, while the same files do work loaded from the SDrive-MAX. However, several other ATX files do work fine (Goonies, Bruce Lee, M.U.L.E. ...)

So all in all, pretty nice. Thanks for all your hard work on this, by the way. I will try it later or tomorrow in Ubuntu as well.

I did a little ATX testing of the Windows version tonight - pretty good, all things considered. :)

Unfortunately, the ATX files for SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD (as one example) don't load properly through RespeQt, while the same files do work loaded from the SDrive-MAX. However, several other ATX files do work fine (Goonies, Bruce Lee, M.U.L.E. ...)

So all in all, pretty nice. Thanks for all your hard work on this, by the way. I will try it later or tomorrow in Ubuntu as well.

Thank you for your kind message.

I know that a few titles do not work.

I am currently trying systematically all titles to have a list of ATX which are running or not and which can be recreated on real floppies or not.

I just tried Seven Cities of Gold on Windows and it works fine.

I know that protections using tight timings are not perfectly emulated on Windows.

So sometimes this protection (34 sectors on a track) can fail but it's rare.

What I mean is that maybe you experienced this timing issue but if you try again the same title, it will pass (try again at least 2 or 3 times to be sure).

If it still does not work, it could be that I adjusted all the timings on a Windows platforme and theses adjustments are not compatible with Linux.

Did you try to play with Super Archiver or Happy emulation ?

Let me try to add a bit more detail regarding SEVEN CITIES.I have a physical copy of the game, the original I purchased back in 1985 or so. It still loads and plays great on my system, so I have some familiarity with this title and and it loads for the end-user playing the game. On my Happy 1050 drive (with an AtariMax reproduction Happy 1050 installed) the game gets to the Electronic Arts "EA" logo and then freezes. I have to set the drive to "Unhappy Mode" using the Happy Utilities disk before booting it. After that, it boots up as normal and can be played as normal.

Using any of the ATX versions available from Farb's torrent, and with RespeQt set to Unhappy Mode, the game boots up to the animated title screen. However, when you press START, the game simply freezes. RespeQt's log screen shows only that the SIO speed is set (to whatever you have specified in the RespeQt options). No other status messages appear in the logs, and there is no further activity from the game. Using the same files on the SDrive-MAX, or with a physical copy of the disk, when you press START, the game is supposed to continue loading the main part of the game, then come up with a black screen telling you to insert your Map Disk and asks if you want to start a new game or continue a saved game.

So in sum, it's as if RespeQt somehow "misses" the commands to continue, and ignores the game attempting to start loading the rest of the game from the title screen. I tried this title (a mix of the various versions) at least 5-6 times between them. The same ATX files also load and play in the current development version of Alitrra - interestingly, unlike how my copy behaves on real hardware, the ATX file I just tried works even with the drive set to emulate a Happy 1050. That is *not* what I see on my real drive, but that's a discussion for Phaeron's Altirra thread. :)

Edited by DrVenkman

So in sum, it's as if RespeQt somehow "misses" the commands to continue, and ignores the game attempting to start loading the rest of the game from the title screen. I tried this title (a mix of the various versions) at least 5-6 times between them.

That is very clear.

Thank you for this detailled explanation.

But I confirm that I can play the game (after loading map) with the 3 following ATX versions with RespeQt 4.3 under Windows 10

- Seven Cities of Gold, The (1984)(Electronic Arts)(US)(Side A)[!][grey disk].atx

- Seven Cities of Gold, The (1984)(Electronic Arts)(US)(Side A)[black disk].atx

- Seven Cities of Gold, The (1984)(Electronic Arts)(US)(Side A)[!][black disk with blue dot].atx

Maybe the settings is also important (not sure). I am using divisor 10 to be more compatible with Happy and Super Archiver.

Did you try RespeQt under Windows with Seven Cities of Gold ?

Anyone else experiencing problems with Seven Cities of Gold with RespeQt 4.3 ?

Edited by ebiguy