IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

7800 has color blending, if you are on RF/Composite

A pretty nice plus for the CRT RF and Composite crowd, IMHO. Referencing back to the first video, which graphics and gameplay were streamed directly from an Atari 7800 via S-Video, any items seen with what appears to be vertical bars will blend together and provide (arguably) a more aesthetically pleasing look under Composite or RF.

As a reference point, Tower Toppler has a very much noticeable difference of how it displays under S-Video vs. Composite/RF. All the towers and many sprites are nearly all vertical bars under S-Video, while appearing as smooth, solid colors under Composite/RF. Although the difference and significance will not be as drastic with R&V, the expect to see vertical bars or color blend results in specific areas or items are very much likely similar.

For 7800 players with R&V, it means at worse that graphics will look as excellent as they do in the aforementioned video under S-Video. Those utilizing Composite/RF with a CRT will have not quite as sharp and clean of an image, but benefit with the advantage of 320 mode color blending in lieu of vertical bars.

S-VIDEO:

post-18-0-43500200-1545861070.png

COMPOSITE:

post-18-0-79418700-1545861086.png

• Like 5

A pretty nice plus for the CRT RF and Composite crowd, IMHO. Referencing back to the first video, which graphics and gameplay were streamed directly from an Atari 7800 via S-Video, any items seen with what appears to be vertical bars will blend together and provide (arguably) a more aesthetically pleasing look under Composite or RF.

As a reference point, Tower Toppler has a very much noticeable difference of how it displays under S-Video vs. Composite/RF. All the towers and many sprites are nearly all vertical bars under S-Video, while appearing as smooth, solid colors under Composite/RF. Although the difference and significance will not be as drastic with R&V, the expect to see vertical bars or color blend results in specific areas or items are very much likely similar.

For 7800 players with R&V, it means at worse that graphics will look as excellent as they do in the aforementioned video under S-Video. Those utilizing Composite/RF with a CRT will have not quite as sharp and clean of an image, but benefit with the advantage of 320 mode color blending in lieu of vertical bars.

S-VIDEO:

attachicon.gifTT_SVID.png

COMPOSITE:

attachicon.gifTT_COMP.png

That's pretty interesting. I definitely see the pros and cons of each. I'm very content with my composite modded 7800, though it makes me think I should do an s-video mod if I ever get another 7800.

Thats why ya got to stay with RF CRT. A little snow won't kill ya. Is it Jan. 12th yet? Going to have to stop reading about this after I order as people will be giving away secrets and whatnot 2 weeks before I get mh copy.

Its a game its cool and buy it.

Compare notes in March 2019. See ya.

• Like 1

Thats why ya got to stay with RF CRT. A little snow won't kill ya. Is it Jan. 12th yet? Going to have to stop reading about this after I order as people will be giving away secrets and whatnot 2 weeks before I get mh copy.

Its a game its cool and buy it.

Compare notes in March 2019. See ya.

I would think composite would be ideal because it still does the color blending with less snow and blurriness from the RF.

• Like 2

I would think composite would be ideal because it still does the color blending with less snow and blurriness from the RF.

Definitely my thought too. Ideally (for me), Composite via CRT is the best way to view 8-bit systems (The argument can be made for 16-bit too, especially the Genesis, but don't want this thread to go off the rails). Across various system platforms and titles, some intended visuals included, and were made possible by, the effects artifacts provided either via RF and/or Composite on a CRT.

However, just to be clear for newcomers to the platform or those unfamiliar with how the various console video output(s) and displays interact, the Composite (or RF) color blend benefit is only yielded from a CRT.

If the console is outputting to a flat panel (LCD, OLED, Plasma, etc.), the color blend factor is lost. The likely better option outputting to those displays is S-Video (if available) for a cleaner, sharper image it typically provides over composite.

• Like 1

That was actually the intention for all the visuals, look good over S-Video (or when emulated) but also take advantage of composite smearing if it's there. Nearly all of my hardware tests were done over RF.

Going to have to stop reading about this after I order as people will be giving away secrets and whatnot 2 weeks before I get mh copy.

Might be time to start breaking out the...

spoiler tags

If the console is outputting to a flat panel (LCD, OLED, Plasma, etc.), the color blend factor is lost. The likely better option outputting to those displays is S-Video (if available) for a cleaner, sharper image it typically provides over composite.

Have any flat panels manufactured in the last 5 years if not 10 support S-Video? My TCL Roku (purchased March 2018) is composite, RF, and HDMI only. Even the 2-in-1 Component ports are gone now...

Have any flat panels manufactured in the last 5 years if not 10 support S-Video? My TCL Roku (purchased March 2018) is composite, RF, and HDMI only. Even the 2-in-1 Component ports are gone now...

Well then you bought the wrong ones. Plenty of crt tvs out there at free prices. Tell me how your light guns work on your splatscreens?

:P

• Like 1

Well I'm late to the party on hearing about this, but I'm very glad I heard about it before the 7800 release. It almost releases on my birthday too, so that's a plus. I'm definitely going to get one and post gameplay on YT. My composite modded 7800 and ol' CRT are ready ;)

Thanks for also discussing the technical aspects of the game in this thread. Even though I can't wrap my head around coding, I love hearing about and seeing projects that push old hardware beyond what we've seen in the past.

• Like 2

Well then you bought the wrong ones. Plenty of crt tvs out there at free prices. Tell me how your light guns work on your splatscreens?

:P

I still have a crt in my bedroom I have no plans to get rid of. And that "shoot the dog" VS Duckhunt Repro from RetroUSB. And a Nintendo Zapper, Camerica Video Blaster (Famicom revolver clone), an XE light gun, Sega Phasor, and a Super Scope. Still don't have the Sega Menacer or the Lethal Enforcers stuff. Too many competing standards in the 16-bit era and not much games that utilized them. Yoshi's safai is fun though if a bit easy... :P
  • Like 1

Hey everyone, last day of 2018 and I have an unfortunate update.

We got a report of an issue where overwhelming the Box Bup enemy with too much food could cause the game to unintentionally reset. Despite the issue being a small edge case, I believe the best course of action is to do a patch and put the game through a second round of testing. This will require reflashing each cartridge and push our schedule past the announced January 14th release date.

This could take at best a couple more weeks and at worst another few months, so until further notice I'd like to say "Early 2019" and will be updating everything shortly to reflect it. As an apology for the delay, I'll add a small bonus item (stickers, etc) to the Atari 7800 package with no change in cost.

However, we will not be canceling any of the planned reveals for the product and will try and release one new thing a week for you to see. On that note, I'd like you all to meet our cartridge design below.

RnV_Cartridge_7800_640x480.jpg

Thanks for your understanding.

Happy New Years!

• Like 12

Really bad News....let us hope the Best.

This isn't a show stopper problem, just a show slower. Evidently I played enough Sonic 2 to implement our own version of the Rexon crash.

BTW....is there another way to get the WINDOWS Version.....please PM me

The game will be available through alternate distribution channels shortly. Please keep in mind that I cannot just email out binaries because then you have no way to do an update if we add new features or fixes to the Windows version.
  • Like 1

However, we will not be canceling any of the planned reveals for the product and will try and release one new thing a week for you to see. On that note, I'd like you all to meet our cartridge design below.

RnV_Cartridge_7800_640x480.jpg

Thanks for your understanding.

Happy New Years!

Looks awesome....does the label wrap around there so there is and "end label" too?

So, is there a way to get the Windows price for a 7800 cart with box?

I kid, I kid...It's my Dumb Guy on the Internet bit.

BTW, my CRT supports S-Video, but I also use a convertor to go S-Video to VGA that looks pretty sharp as I recall...

This game looks Amazing and I'm sure I'll need to part with some hard earned cash soon...(Shakes fist for me losing cash...but I have a big smile on my face! :)

• Like 1

So, is there a way to get the Windows price for a 7800 cart with box?

Maybe eBay in a few centuries.

Is that a picture of an actual cartridge you made or just a mock up? What kind of material and printing method are you using for the labels? Very curious.

It's the real thing, I'll upload a video showing how the cartridge is assembled later so you can see the whole process. The labels are just usual adhesives printed at a local shop who are also handling our manuals and other goodies.

Better to fix the bugs now than after they are shipped... :ponder:

Yeah, I'm a little embarrassed we missed this one after like four months of QA. It was a bad value in the object's mode table, so basically a one byte change :ponder: .

• Like 3