IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

Greetings...

Purchased the game from Steam .. Loving it so far..(having a bit o trouble with level S8)

Questions...

1. I noticed that the single player rooms differ from the two player rooms...was wondering if there is a way to play the two player rooms as a single player?

2. How will updates be distributed?

3. Is there a way to reset the High Score tables?

NIKON

Purchased the game from Steam .. Loving it so far..(having a bit o trouble with level S8)

I've noticed lots of people have trouble with this stage, and some of the Misery Land Employee behaviors in general. You might want to flip through the manual and listen to what the Ghost Kitten has to say, or...

...just sit back and observe them for a few moments when the stage starts. They might be interested in something more than you.

1. I noticed that the single player rooms differ from the two player rooms...was wondering if there is a way to play the two player rooms as a single player?

No, these stages are designed to only be completed with two players.

2. How will updates be distributed?

Through Steam as usual, you should get a notice about the patch in a day or two.

3. Is there a way to reset the High Score tables?

Yes, navigate to [Game] -> [Clear Data...] in the menu. You'll get the option to reset everything.
  • Like 1

I say take your time, I'm a patient man. We'll all be ready to play when you decide it's all good to go.

Thanks, I do want to make sure you all won't have to wait too long. I would have preferred to launch both the Microsoft Windows and Atari 7800 versions simultaneously.

In the meantime, here's the undoctored footage of the 7800 version I promised in not just one - but two videos. I recorded a playthrough of the Rock Cavern as both characters. The Rikki playthrough is very careful while as Vikki I'm trying to speedrun the game. Though, looks like my time already got beaten!

You can also download these from the Previews page of the game's website.

I'll upload the two player version of these stages at a later time.

Edited by TailChao
  • Like 15

In the meantime, here's the undoctored footage of the 7800 version I promised in not just one - but two videos.

Well, after watching those two videos I'm pretty sure you just made the best game on the 7800 in terms of both graphics and sound; and quite possibly gameplay as well. I don't even own an Atari 7800 anymore (I was a silly doofus and traded mine for a Sega CD a year or so ago) but I'll still pick up a copy of Rikki & Vikki the day it comes out, since I'm sure I'll get a 7800 again at some point.

Plus foxes! I'm a total sucker for any game with adorable foxes. :D

• Like 6

Thanks, I do want to make sure you all won't have to wait too long. I would have preferred to launch both the Microsoft Windows and Atari 7800 versions simultaneously.

In the meantime, here's the undoctored footage of the 7800 version I promised in not just one - but two videos. I recorded a playthrough of the Rock Cavern as both characters. The Rikki playthrough is very careful while as Vikki I'm trying to speedrun the game. Though, looks like my time already got beaten!

:o :o :o :o :o

That's some next level 7800 programming!

• Like 2

I am so unbelieveably excited for this game---- all that I ask--- can you PRETTY PLEASE PROMISE that this won't be your last 7800 game???

• Like 5

I am so unbelieveably excited for this game---- all that I ask--- can you PRETTY PLEASE PROMISE that this won't be your last 7800 game???

I can only promise that I will make more games, exactly what game and on which hardware depends upon how this one does.

But I would like to always "visit the dinosaurs" even if I move to predominantly modern stuff.

• Like 8

I've bought the game when it was released and did a bit of a playthrough of it this weekend up to M9 (I think it was M9 at least...). The timing on that level seems incredibly tight and it almost feels like I'm basically missing a box to make it more managable. On the other hand, it may just be intended :D

Getting the robot to the end of the room upstairs seems really tight as you need to first get it to start moving left and then activate the bridge asap. The speed the block gets from the tube doesn't seem enough to automatically restart walking after falling, otherwise it would've been a bit easier. I get the 'letting the robot fall' to grab the keys encased with robot-blocks, but timing wise it seems like a tight window to work with.

Little example video: https://clips.twitch.tv/ProductiveGloriousFlamingoFrankerZ

Looking at the video, it may feel like the timing is a bit tighter than it actually is. I'm planning to more this weekend at least :)

Also great to see someone at least speedrunning the first levels, I rushed through it a bit after taking my first complete game over and it does seem quite managable. Especially when you start noticing patterns at the other boss-fights as well. The biggest trouble I've had so far was the Sand boss, as it didn't feel completely predictable so I'd run into it.

Edited by Grumpmeister

Getting the robot to the end of the room upstairs seems really tight as you need to first get it to start moving left and then activate the bridge asap. The speed the block gets from the tube doesn't seem enough to automatically restart walking after falling, otherwise it would've been a bit easier. I get the 'letting the robot fall' to grab the keys encased with robot-blocks, but timing wise it seems like a tight window to work with.

Little example video: https://clips.twitch.tv/ProductiveGloriousFlamingoFrankerZ

Placing a box beneath another box resets the first box's fall timer until the bottom box is not under it anymore. Basically it treats the bottom box as a real platform, which you can use to your advantage.

Edited by RushJet1

Placing a box beneath another box resets the first box's fall timer until the bottom box is not under it anymore. Basically it treats the bottom box as a real platform, which you can use to your advantage.

Thanks! I was indeed thinking of doing something like that, noticed it when I tossed the second box at the one I had placed on a movement switch. That was also why I mentioned I felt like I was missing one, since a third block would constantly keep the movement going by sticking to the block that's about to fall off the switch. I'll give it a shot by doubling on the bridge-switch and then placing the bottom one on the movement switch

Also great to see someone at least speedrunning the first levels, I rushed through it a bit after taking my first complete game over and it does seem quite managable. Especially when you start noticing patterns at the other boss-fights as well. The biggest trouble I've had so far was the Sand boss, as it didn't feel completely predictable so I'd run into it.

Yeah, it's pretty cool to see the game getting torn apart so quickly. I thought we'd have to wait a month or so before someone attempted to play through the cooperative mode with one controller - but it's already happened!

Regarding the Ghost Cat...

He has a pattern similar to the Ghosts in Pac-Man, and follows very strict rules accordingly. You'll only see his face when he changes direction, and if you get in a tight spot - toss a box at him and he'll avoid you for a few turns.

I never thought to do that, and was totally taken aback when I saw it in your stream of the game.

Another way is to...

Hit the switch to activate the bridge first, and then trigger the "walk left" button immediately after. It helps if you stack both boxes on top of each other near by (just to the left of the pipe inlet) so you can toss both of them upward in quick succession.

Let's make Tuesday our weekly update day.

Oh hey, it's Tuesday. Since you got to meet the cartridges last week, now let's look inside! Rendering both foxes and boxes on-screen simultaneously requires advanced space age technology, and here it is! Each Rikki & Vikki cartridge contains one FoxBoard like this, designed and manufactured by Tiido Priimägi.

RnV_FoxBoard_7800_640x480.jpg

• Like 8

Is that a separate volume pot for the external audio? Is that planned to be usable once within the case?

Yep, we opted for a proper BupChip volume knob. It'll be pre-adjusted to mix well on the stock hardware but you can adjust it later if it's not to your taste.

You can't access the potentiometer without taking the board out of its shell, but we moved the screw which secures both halves together to the back side. This way you can open it easily without damaging the game label.

Also..the same Tiido from the Genesis/MD scene?

Same Tiido.
  • Like 6