IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

Beleive me, I have faced this cunundrum many times in Albert's shop. Do I buy two brand new boxed homebrews for $100 or do I wait 6-7 months and buy 3-4 games for the same price?

Usually I take a middle of the road approach. I'll decide what are the must haves and buy them immediately, then wait a few months to a year until the "wants" go on sale as cart+manual.

For instance in Xmas 2017, I bought Draconian and Super Cobra immediately, then waited until mid summer 2018 to get loose copies of Assembloids and Lunar Lander. :P

I wasn't griping at the cart-only camp (I often buy cart-only when available) but rather griping about the gripers because they had to purchase a box.

This is perhaps one of the best homebrew packages I have ever seen, for any system. We are getting a 16-bit style game in an 8-bit package.

I'm in the UK so get boned when it comes to import duty so from the AA store I always wait until there's a few things I want at a time and get them as just carts. There are some circumstances however when you just have to take it on the chin. Rebooteroids was one, Rikki and Vikki will be another. I can accept that.

• Like 1

Ultimate Cross-System Music Test:

BupChip:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3uxha99ob82b13o/11%201P%20Guardian.mp3?dl=0

2600: (ran out of instruments :( )

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lr27zsi70z15ra1/b1.mp3?dl=0

NES:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwdw3qgi3agf537/boss_s_NES.nsf?dl=0

I don't have an MP3 render of the NES one yet but will later today.

• Like 1

BONK REEP KLONG BONG WANK WANK PLINK DUUURK

Don't forget "GWAGHRRWAGH," totally underrated classic.

I really do enjoy the Atari style programmable LFSR audio generators like the TIA, Pokey, and Mikey in the Lynx. They offer a really cool waveform selection, but the dividers were kinda lousy until the last of those three. The TIA is pretty good for sound effects, though. It was my honor to hide the 2600 Pac-Man death sound effect somewhere in Rikki & Vikki.

I am also glad you used an encoder for the arm coprocessor that simulates chiptune music instead of streaming compressed audio recordings like so many games do.

Flash rom is so dirt cheap enough that you could have certainly afforded say 512mb of storage for compressed sound. One reason I dislike 90s era cd games. The soundchips of consoles were part of their signature aesthetic. Ripping all bgm tracks to cd deprived users of this.

Thanks, we opted to keep the music sequenced for a few reasons other than authenticity or aesthetic.
  • BupBoop (the sound driver running on the BupChip) was written for use with Windows and less ancient platforms. So it was already proven and would be reused and improved in future projects.
  • While "Flash ROM is dirt cheap" the components required to bolt modern Flash ROM onto an Atari 7800 cartridge are not. This would have required a more complex mapper and also level translation.
  • Microcontrollers offer good flexibility and the one we chose is both performant and runs on 5V natively. While it is the most expensive electronic component on the board and requires some support items, it allowed us to design the hardware without too much fuss.
Ah, wait... what day is it?

TACO TUESDAY

Here's some new photos! The back of the box (as requested) and a spread of all the materials you'll get with the Atari 7800 package.

RnV_Back_7800_640x480.jpg

RnV_Spread_7800_640x480.jpg

• Like 15

More words?! Sure, here we go.

I know Jinks Im just saying if he had to order parts in quantity to keep prices down he could have done a preorder to make sure the demand was there. ?‍♂

Could have, yes. But when there's a guarantee that your payment is for existing stock it removes significant headache from both the customer's side and mine.

Also hey, another review - this time from The 8-Bit Guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9A07AFk1lA

• Like 7

More words?! Sure, here we go.

Could have, yes. But when there's a guarantee that your payment is for existing stock it removes significant headache from both the customer's side and mine.

Also hey, another review - this time from The 8-Bit Guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9A07AFk1lA

The vast, vast, vast majority of us will gladly fork over the extremely reasonable cost of this game CIB and we aren't questioning your production logic. Don't let a couple people get you down about the 7800 community! We're also looking forward to games #2 and #3 :grin:

Can't wait to get Rikki and Vikki in my hands - cart, manual, box, tickets, warranty card, sticker - all of the Rikki and Vikki goodness!

• Like 8

The vast, vast, vast majority of us will gladly fork over the extremely reasonable cost of this game CIB and we aren't questioning your production logic. Don't let a couple people get you down about the 7800 community! We're also looking forward to games #2 and #3 :grin:

Can't wait to get Rikki and Vikki in my hands - cart, manual, box, tickets, warranty card, sticker - all of the Rikki and Vikki goodness!

Agreed.

• Like 1

Since editing your own posts doesn't seem possible...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxj2i5rzc2hrnw3/rv_boss_nes.mp3?dl=0

Also you aren't allowed to edit posts after a certain timeframe has passed or in many cases after another reply has been posted in the thread. So basically I think edit is only available if you are still the current latest reply in the thread and even then within a few hours or maybe only an hour? I can't recall right off hand.

Dont know wtf people are talking about no one said it costs too much. Or bitched about the product.. all praise.

Maybe an alternate universe some people are on??

Just because it looks 16 bit the drama has to be here?

No drama. Just a few comments on the price and talk of options to make it cheaper. I'm just agreeing that I like the price and am excited for the game. There is nothing but love for this game.

• Like 2

Since editing your own posts doesn't seem possible...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxj2i5rzc2hrnw3/rv_boss_nes.mp3?dl=0

Thanks. Any one of these could make an awesome retro inspired ringtone. 8)

Also thanks for providing the nsf. Playing back nsf files on my powerpak (using either stock hardware or the fpga avs) is one of my guilty pleasures... 8)

And agree with others sentiments about ignoring the naysayers. I will gladly buy this amazing homebrew day one! 8)

So someone can't go back to their initial post in a topic and change a list or something? I know I've seen that on these forums .... Weird.

If you have a need to edit the original post of a thread permanently, pm Albert or CPUwiz or one of the other mods with a brief explanation why you need to edit the post (for instance to post updated info or consolidate information from a very long thread) and they can unlock it.

Other than that, the open window for editing posts is 1 hour, which should be long enough to fix typos or other errors, unless you subscribe, then it becomes one month.

Albert modified permissions long ago so users could not retroactively delete or modify content.

So I'm going to ask stupid questions.

*What video mode is this game built in? Is it a custom video mode that the pcb/chipset makes possible or are you guys really good at making 7800 fat mode look like it's on a diet?

*I'm guessing the "good" ending requires a two player mode play through? If so, I know what my son will be playing along with his pop!

Looks great and what I've seen so far just makes me want it more!

• Like 2

So I'm going to ask stupid questions.

*What video mode is this game built in? Is it a custom video mode that the pcb/chipset makes possible or are you guys really good at making 7800 fat mode look like it's on a diet?

*I'm guessing the "good" ending requires a two player mode play through? If so, I know what my son will be playing along with his pop!

Looks great and what I've seen so far just makes me want it more!

In addition to a different ending, all levels and bosses are different in 2-player mode.

Beleive me, I have faced this cunundrum many times in Albert's shop. Do I buy two brand new boxed homebrews for $100 or do I wait 6-7 months and buy 3-4 games for the same price?

Usually I take a middle of the road approach. I'll decide what are the must haves and buy them immediately, then wait a few months to a year until the "wants" go on sale as cart+manual.

For instance in Xmas 2017, I bought Draconian and Super Cobra immediately, then waited until mid summer 2018 to get loose copies of Assembloids and Lunar Lander. :P

I wasn't griping at the cart-only camp (I often buy cart-only when available) but rather griping about the gripers because they had to purchase a box.

This is perhaps one of the best homebrew packages I have ever seen, for any system. We are getting a 16-bit style game in an 8-bit package.

Draconian was one of the exceptions for me too. I am surprised I held off on Mappy.

And sorry if the 'drama' started with me. I just like the chance to save a few bucks if I can. It wasn't a direct complaint about the price being too high.

Edited by MrBeefy