IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

Could just be my Europad which would be disappointing.. of course a bug in the game would be bad too. :-)

I know some europads weren't wired correctly out of the factory and others were purposely wired differently when sold with 2600 bundles, so maybe you got a bad one? Does it work with other two button games as it should?

Woah, hold up for a minute.

What controller is everyone using? I have had a heck of a time finding a working one.

#1 - Europe style controller - Rikki & Vikki says it is not a two button controller.
#2 - NOS 7800 controller - constantly moves left
#3 - Old 7800 controller - works fine but not the best controller anyways

Considering #3 works, something is up with #1. #2 just sounds like a stuck pad.

If any of you see the "please connect a two button controller" screen, this is brought up whenever the game detects the old one button input getting yanked to a logic low. Normally a two-button controller (ProLine or ProPad / EuroPad) should not do this, but if you use an extremely long extension cord or something is damaged the screen could be tripped. This is done to protect the 7800 hardware.

Once you start the game, it will just ignore any one button input instead of bringing up the screen. In single player mode both the left and right joystick ports can be used to control your character.

Addendum : So in this case, plug in both #1 and #3 to the joystick ports. Start the game with #3 and see if you can use #1 to control the character. If this works your controller is being extremely rude but you can still play with it.

Edited by TailChao
  • Like 2

This game is gonna be my weekend and beyond. Just got out of the first cavern last night, was feeling pretty good about myself...and uh oh here comes some new elements to make me think harder. Finally had to call it around 11:30. Did not WANT to though.

I have to say again, I am stunned by the degree of polish on everything in this game, but especially the gameplay itself. From control to level design to core gameplay/control elements....this is an amazingly well thought out game. It feels like the kind of game that should have been coming out 1985-1986, from a huge publisher, that'd had hundreds of hours of playtesting.

Hope to enlist one of my sons to try 2p mode tonight. This game was totally worth the wait.

• Like 3

I agree it is likely my Europad.. I do not use an extension and have not used it much. I can test with another 2 button game to confirm.

I don't know if you have opened your pad, but they are extremely low quality, sadly. It would be good for you to open them and see if the buttons haven't started to cut through the rubber. That might or might not cause your controller issue, but regardless, if you wanna keep using it, you'll need to do something; the easiest solution being to fill out the button so you have a flat surface instead of a plastic cross cutting on the rubber.

Here is a picture of (one of) mine if you havent opened yours :

gallery_35492_963_3402422.jpg

Filling the inside of the button with something like papier maché and adding a layer of cardboard to make a soft surface should be an easy fix. A more durable solution would be to replace the rubber domes with microswitches :

1960936-40.jpg

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

Let's put the controller issue speculations to bed.

I went and rechecked the game with both a ProLine and ProPad on three known good 7800s, all of which were different revisions. None of them exhibited any issues, the controllers were equally uncomfortable on all three setups but worked properly.

I don't know if you have opened your pad, but they are extremely low quality, sadly.

The problem is that all the first party options are low quality and now they're over three decades old. There's minimal protection on the 7800's inputs themselves as well.

Any input problems we saw during testing were always traced back to the following :

• Broken controller
  • Bad TIA
  • Bad RIOT
  • Blown Q5 or Q6
Rikki & Vikki's only differentiating factor versus other games is that it absolutely requires the two button controllers work in-spec before it allows you to play. This also makes it a good candidate for testing both your controllers and console so I'll make a flowchart for doing so once shipping calms down.

Now that I'm not having three heart attacks, here's what I missed...

Received mine today. According to the warranty card my cartridge is #1-8 (run 1, copy 8 ).

Almost, the first digit is a category rather than production run. The "1" means it's a retail copy ordered from us.

and PenguiNet PLEASE make more 7800 games!!!!)

I'm happy to make more games, 7800 or otherwise. But let's see how this one does first, we're extremely dependent upon Steam sales.
  • Like 3

Very sorry.. I did not mean to cause any stress.. I figured it was my controller!

Haha, no worries.

Again - I recommend trying this and seeing if your EuroPad / ProPad operates properly :

...plug in both #1 and #3 to the joystick ports. Start the game with #3 and see if you can use #1 to control the character. If this works your controller is being extremely rude but you can still play with it.

We just beat co-op mode! THAT WAS AWESOME!!!! The final boss was epic; I still cant believe that was on a 7800!

The ending is the best on the system and it was so gratifying! LOVED IT!

Hey, what benefits you more? A Steam purchase or Humble Bundle? I bought HB, but Ill throw more Steam money your way to help the cause.

• Like 1

Ha, so I *was* #1 after all! :rolling:

post-13896-0-37164100-1550868248.png

post-13896-0-26294600-1550863247.jpg

...really nice packaging and super high-quality presentation. Complete with warranty card, sticker, glossy fold out manual... even the tickets are authentic with numbered bar codes, perforations and disclaimers! Especially like the obligatory state of CA "warnings". :lol:

Played a little just now... am floored by the overall package here. Graphics, colors, animation, music (especially the music!), sound effects, et al. Absolutely stunning game for the 7800!

• Like 5

We just beat co-op mode! THAT WAS AWESOME!!!! The final boss was epic; I still cant believe that was on a 7800!

The ending is the best on the system and it was so gratifying! LOVED IT!

Congrats on making it to the end, together :)

Hey, what benefits you more? A Steam purchase or Humble Bundle? I bought HB, but Ill throw more Steam money your way to help the cause.

You've already gone above and beyond by doing YouTube features on the game!

For anyone else reading though (especially developers) - Humblebundle gives you a better cut than Valve, but the Steam userbase is enormous so you'll probably get larger profits from it in the end. The big problem with Steam is that you have to convince its algorithms your game is profitable, so more sales and positive reviews mean there's a better chance your game will be suggested to new players.

Reviews are incredibly helpful for Steam's algorithms, for other players, and especially for the developers so we know what worked and didn't. So if you have a Steam copy of the game - let us know what you think.

Ha, so I *was* #1 after all! :rolling:

You're #1, but the real question is : Who's #0?

Addendum : Almost forgot!

Just sent the last 25 copies out for this week, so that's 100 now. Shipping will resume on Monday.

Edited by TailChao
  • Like 3

Never heard of 'Stupidfox'.... this is the dispenser we have:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DRBYRCU

...my gf brought it home one day. Have always liked the animal, but ever since moving out to the country, we've actually spied a couple! :)

It's an online comic strip featuring.. well, a "stupid" fox :

http://stupidfox.net/

159-bee-cautious.png

So, is there a chance to see Rikki&Vikki going on consoles, especially the Switch? :D I know, I know, that would be strange, but heh. Not more strange than seeing Sonic on Nintendo consoles...

• Like 2

Well. I'm 9-3 on my warranty card, but that is my review copy. Its born date was Feb 6. I'm stoked to see what my other copy's serial number is.

Guys, the single player mode is as boss as it gets. This game would be A+ on a Switch let alone that this is on the 7800. The co-op on this is legendary. That ending, the final boss fight, was simply spectacular. Seriously, if you beat the one player mode and put it in your stack, you're missing out. If you don't have friends, go make one or rent one or something. The co-op is its own experience and IT IS the feature presentation. You will need TWO proficient players to do this in one night. SO WORTH IT THOUGH.

I'm uploading the final boss fight tonight. Resist watching it if you are going to play co-op. If you have a friend who doesn't suck at these kind of games you owe it to yourself to try to do it on your own first.

• Like 1

DO NOT CLICK UNTIL YOU FEEL YOU NEED TO!

SPOILERS!

I don't think there is anything wrong with my video card because this scene is on the back of the box; I can't spoil it if you have already seen the box. :)

Like I said before... epic.

Rushjet1 - DAMN man! Them some amazing tunes!

This represents a rotating crew of myself and a number of my high school journalism students. 2 weeks of attempts in our spare time, but we finally got the Misery Dragon!

• Like 1

Very pleased to report that the game has no issues with Curt's new 7800 Proline Arcade controller either. And that is how I was playing it last night. This game is really amazing and absolutely goes toe to toe with the NES and beats it with this game alone. All that detail on the screen with the differently sized sprites and no flicker! And it looks incredible through my UAV modded 7800 on s-video through my Extron 7SC equipment setup.

• Like 3

Congrats on making it to the end, together :)

You've already gone above and beyond by doing YouTube features on the game!

For anyone else reading though (especially developers) - Humblebundle gives you a better cut than Valve, but the Steam userbase is enormous so you'll probably get larger profits from it in the end. The big problem with Steam is that you have to convince its algorithms your game is profitable, so more sales and positive reviews mean there's a better chance your game will be suggested to new players.

Reviews are incredibly helpful for Steam's algorithms, for other players, and especially for the developers so we know what worked and didn't. So if you have a Steam copy of the game - let us know what you think.

You're #1, but the real question is : Who's #0?

Addendum : Almost forgot!

Just sent the last 25 copies out for this week, so that's 100 now. Shipping will resume on Monday.

Hi,

I've got the steam version. Is the 7800 version exactly the same gameplay or is it an enhanced or demade version? Thanks.