IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

You only have 1 other game? No wonder it is in dust. There are lots more to go.

Same for me. For some reason here, Atari 7800 games sells for crazy prices, easily 20€ for one cart. And because I'm almost never using the system for 7800 games I haven't paid attention to the homebrew on the 7800 (and the few I saw didn't left me terribly impressed, to be honest - they looked like fine games on their own, but nothing like Vikki&Rikki that make me go "WOW, I need that game")

Edited by CatPix

If your into 16 bit games then any other 7800 game won't be your thing.

Check out all the homebrews like BBCQ etc. If you like 8 bit stuff.

To each there own. Kinda thought this might attract a new 7800 crowd and glad it did can always use more. Stay awhile.. Stay FOREVER!!!!

• Like 2

Just saw a Facebook post on the AA page by Chad Davis that said that having an AtariVox plugged in to your 7800 at the same time as playing Rikki & Vikki will cause some issues: "boxes are picked up automatically when they are touched thus you cannot jump on them." Easy workaround - just make sure your AtariVox (if you have one) is unplugged before starting a Rikki & Vikki gaming session. Just thought I'd pass that along!

I just played through the first cavern tonight. What I great game. It looks awesome on my 7800 through the UAV on s-video through the framemeister up on my 100" projector screen. :grin:

And the hyperkin gn6 (genesis controller clone) I modified to work on the 7800 works awesome with the game. I image all genesis type controllers with an adapter for the 7800 will give equally great gameplay.

Just saw a Facebook post on the AA page by Chad Davis that said that having an AtariVox plugged in to your 7800 at the same time as playing Rikki & Vikki will cause some issues: "boxes are picked up automatically when they are touched thus you cannot jump on them." Easy workaround - just make sure your AtariVox (if you have one) is unplugged before starting a Rikki & Vikki gaming session. Just thought I'd pass that along!

I briefly had that behavior using a controller extension cord as well, no atari vox plugged in.

You can see that the color blending does work on composite on a modern TV though I'm not sure it is quite correct but still interesting to see. I still prefer the more sharp defined lines that the s-video image provides but I could see how the composite and RF with the artifacting in place would also be quite appealing on CRTs.

It's pretty close, the waterfalls will look light blue rather than light green on an NTSC Television over RF. But yes, my intention with the visual design was to take advantage of Composite smearing if it is there, but still look appealing over S-Video or when running pixel-perfect without any filter.

One minor annoyance, though, making me asking this --- does anyone else's cart rattle? Like the board isn't fitting snuggly inside the shell?

Yeah, this affects all units - the board doesn't grip the standoffs quite as firmly as it should. Along with the quality of the cartridge label, this is something I think could be improved next time. But this flex might have been for the best since the tolerance on the Atari 7800's cartridge guides is all over the place.

Just saw a Facebook post on the AA page by Chad Davis that said that having an AtariVox plugged in to your 7800 at the same time as playing Rikki & Vikki will cause some issues: "boxes are picked up automatically when they are touched thus you cannot jump on them."

This behavior actually makes sense, Rikki & Vikki allows the second player's controller to operate the menus or move the player character whether or not the game is in co-op mode. Sounds like the AtariVox is pressing the two-button inputs (or moreso holding them high).
  • Like 1

It's pretty close, the waterfalls will look light blue rather than light green on an NTSC Television over RF. But yes, my intention with the visual design was to take advantage of Composite smearing if it is there, but still look appealing over S-Video or when running pixel-perfect without any filter.

This behavior actually makes sense, Rikki & Vikki allows the second player's controller to operate the menus or move the player character whether or not the game is in co-op mode. Sounds like the AtariVox is pressing the two-button inputs (or moreso holding them high).

So you are saying the water should still be light blue in composite as well? I'm using a NTSC TV and the water color and other colors in s-video seem to match your videos so I think the colors on my 7800 itself are adjusted correctly. Guess I need to fire up composite mode on my PVM and see if it is light blue instead of the light green I'm getting?

Also, it is a simple matter to connect the AVox up to the player 2 port and then use the Diags on the controller test to see what is being registered.

So you are saying the water should still be light blue in composite as well? I'm using a NTSC TV and the water color and other colors in s-video seem to match your videos so I think the colors on my 7800 itself are adjusted correctly. Guess I need to fire up composite mode on my PVM and see if it is light blue instead of the light green I'm getting?

Yes, if you're trying to replicate the game's appearance on an unmodified NTSC console. The footage in The 8-Bit Guy's review has fairly consistent colors with what I've seen. For convenience, below is a photo of Rikki & Vikki running on my piece of junk television over RF...

post-4322-0-74319600-1551286044_thumb.jpg

Also, it is a simple matter to connect the AVox up to the player 2 port and then use the Diags on the controller test to see what is being registered.

Sure, but we already know from the game's behavior that at least the left paddle input is high. The simplest matter is just to remove the AtariVox before playing. I've added this to the FAQ.

Edited by TailChao

Right here

rIG5zZP.jpg

Was lurking the thread and refreshing the page just as it updated with the buy link lol, pretty sure I might have actually purchased before TailChao made the post on the forum saying the game was available :twisted: Looks like he came across my twitter as well after I posted this pic there, the sly fox ;)

I'm actually pretty new to the 7800 scene pretty much as a direct result of this game, didn't even own a 7800 console before (bought one on eBay the same day I ordered my copy of this in fact :o ) although I do have a 2600. Bought the game on steam about a month ago and was amazed at how well it looked and played given the hardware so had to get a physical copy to add to the rest of my retro collection.

Just gotta get a different controller now, cause trying to play something like this on the 7800 joystick is not the easiest/most comfortable thing in the world

Anyways, thanks for the great game and I definitely look forward to playing it more on here!

homebrews were the primary readon I bought a 7800. You will get tons of usage out of it. Be sure to check out the atariage store too for more games. Anything by Pacman Plus (Bob Decrescendo) is worth buying. I recommend you check out Pacman Collection if you're a fan.
  • Like 2

Confirmed that the colors being off is the result of this being another game that produces odd colors in composite mode through a UAV similar to Tower Toppler. No amount of adjustment on the artifact pot brought it any closer to the light blue presented on those above screenshots. Even on my PVM it looks exactly the same in composite as it did on my LCD. So yeah... looks to be the UAV. I also tried adjusting the color pot on the 7800 itself and that didn't get my any closer to the light blue color either. I'm going to have to add a Magic Knight setup to my test rigs officially so I can do some comparisons. I do seem to recall that the Magic Knight board with an s-video to composite adapter, seemed to produce the correct colors on Tower Toppler, though it was a tad darker on the image as compared to the UAV's composite output. Still being a smidgen darker and having the correct colors reproduced in composite and s-video that is nearly on par with the UAV is a very okay trade-off.

Maybe it's the composite mod itself, in the video I noticed that a lot of the colors are oversaturated as well

The composite output is part of the UAV itself. The only adjustments on the UAV is a pot on it to adjust the artifacting but that really only makes a difference and was designed for the atari 8-bit computer line when using the UAV in those. Additionally the UAV doesn't require any parts to be removed and is designed for use in a factory stock 7800. Point being it either works or it doesn't as the only adjustments would be your TV itself at that point really. But again, the UAV is primarily for s-video output and that seems to be accurate to the original released videos. I do have a stock unmodded 7800 I can put the cart in and test in RF and I'm sure that will look correct on my LCD. So again, I suspect it is the UAV design in some way. Tower Toppler is....interesting to look at color wise on the UAV in composite mode. There are pics of that game in these forums somewhere.

My LHE composite modded AT84 serial console yields Limestone water as well via Commodore 1702 monitor.

Quick pic:

attachicon.gifIMG_0983sm.png

Color Artifacting differences among consoles in 320 mode is a known item.

I think it goes great - Limestone water (caves) are found in various parts of the world. :)

Interesting...the ole LHE mod. I never like that mod board. But good to see it does the same thing with color on composite as the UAV.

Wish my cart was here already ahhhh!!

Maybe next week.. mine was shipped the day after the release. Anyone in Canada get their game yet?

Usps tracking says technical difficulties try again later.

Not in Canada, but I get the tracking technical difficulties message as well...It seems the USPS is having trouble with their tracking...I just got the email so I'm sure mine just got started on its journey. It would be cool if I get it by this weekend to check it out, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

Hmm, anyone else getting a controller error on startup at all? I tried both 7800 joysticks and the d-pad controllers to no avail. Hope neither my 7800 or my cartridge are defective...

If Ballblazer is your only other 7800 game, pick up a copy of Xevious. It's a very good port of the game, prices tend to be reasonable for a used copy, and it's an easy way to test if R&V 'should' be working with both buttons*.

*Xevious- left difficulty switch to the left for 2 button play.

Edited by fluxit
  • Like 1

Got my copy tonight, absolutely fantastic!!!! I really need to get a resistor in my TIA output or something because i feel like i still cant get the music loud enough even after cranking it all the way up on the cart.

This game is a total package and then some! Only bad thing is I am leaving for vacation tomorrow and cant take my 7800 with me ?