IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

This is a testament to the game in that someone who's never played it (or an Atari for that matter) can pick it up, figure out the play mechanics pretty quickly, and become totally engrossed in the game, with no comments on quality of the graphics, etc.

My guest and his daughter must have played it for about an hour before they finally switched over Mario Kart Wii.

Well done, guys!

Now to get my own copy.

Edited by bikeguychicago
  • Like 3

Don't mind at all, we're up to 261 orders now - so almost halfway through our stock. The biggest rush was the 175 orders on the first day.

If you don't mind me asking, did you ever consider doing a kickstarter to fund production? If so why did you decide against it?

@Jinks, I am open to donations of multiple Edladdin controllers :)

I have 4 brand new europads. I have nes converted and a bunch of other 2 button solutions. But I think for Rikki and Vikki the 7800 pads work the best as it does not require lots of thumb rolling between the buttons like on SMB for example. It keeps the experience all atari. Especially with the RF with the straight in adapter to a good CRT.

I think it was user "grips" was selling the adapters to use sega pads before edladdin was on atariage.

@Jinks, I am open to donations of multiple Edladdin controllers :)

I have 4 brand new europads. I have nes converted and a bunch of other 2 button solutions. But I think for Rikki and Vikki the 7800 pads work the best as it does not require lots of thumb rolling between the buttons like on SMB for example. It keeps the experience all atari. Especially with the RF with the straight in adapter to a good CRT.

I think it was user "grips" was selling the adapters to use sega pads before edladdin was on atariage.

Funny, cuz I have Europads and also NES converted controllers...And I can convert a PS2 HORI Real Arcade Pro to work on Atari (oh probably not for 7800 though, probably just one button games)...But My favorite right now is my custom One Off Edladdin!! (I mostly play it with my right hand on the stick and left on buttons)... :-D

1zflrgl.jpg

• Like 2

This is a testament to the game in that someone who's never played it (or an Atari for that matter) can pick it up, figure out the play mechanics pretty quickly, and become totally engrossed in the game, with no comments on quality of the graphics, etc.

My guest and his daughter must have played it for about an hour before they finally switched over Mario Kart Wii.

That was my goal, for the game to be good for its content rather than because it's running on hardware that's over thirty years old. We spent a good amount of time doing focus tests with different age groups and trying to accommodate different players' needs. Many of the stage designs and game features like Direct Dutposit were the result of that process, and I think further improvements could have been made if we had more resources available.

Also, I must agree with the other posters - excellent looking game room :)

If you don't mind me asking, did you ever consider doing a kickstarter to fund production? If so why did you decide against it?

Don't mind at all. I did consider using Kickstarter when the game was being nudged out of pre-production, but ended up not going down this route for the following reasons...
  • Doing a good Kickstarter campaign isn't trivial, nor is it free. We would have had to bring on another person full time just to manage it, which would have also nudged the budget up considerably.
  • I did not think that, even if we did a bang up job with the campaign, that the game would have been funded - and our goals would have been "too expensive." There is a growing disconnect between how much generating content actually costs and what crowdfunding investors assume it costs from nearly a decade of lowballing budgets.
  • Similar to the above, I think there is also growing investor fatigue of crowdfunded video game products. Especially after so many underwheming deliveries or straight up failures to ship.
  • I wanted to work on the product without having to worry about publicity at the same time.

I do think using Kickstarter to fund projects isn't necessarily a bad thing. But if we were to do so I'd like it to be enjoyable for both us and the investors, and somehow tie into the game content. Like, this should actually be fun and memorable - not just paying the equivalent of several used cars to get your name in the credits.

But I think for Rikki and Vikki the 7800 pads work the best as it does not require lots of thumb rolling between the buttons like on SMB for example. It keeps the experience all atari. Especially with the RF with the straight in adapter to a good CRT.

The 7800 pads aren't bad, especially compared to the ProLines. But I do think they're still a bit stiff and a layout more suited to thumbrolling (which is helpful for speedrunning the game) would have been appreciated. Most of the time during testing on the hardware I was using NES controllers.
  • Like 2

The 7800 pads aren't bad, especially compared to the ProLines. But I do think they're still a bit stiff and a layout more suited to thumbrolling (which is helpful for speedrunning the game) would have been appreciated. Most of the time during testing on the hardware I was using NES controllers.

I can attest that Genesis 3-button pads via an adapter (Edladdin Seagull 78 here) is a GREAT way to play the game! :)

• Like 3

I can attest that Genesis 3-button pads via an adapter (Edladdin Seagull 78 here) is a GREAT way to play the game! :)

Yeah, I'm using a Genesis Asciiware 3 button joystick via the Edladdin to play this and it's perfect.

The game itself is gorgeous. My first reaction was 'wait, this is on the 7800? Did I mix up the inputs for my TG-16?"

• Like 2

Nor Inky. I was there too :(

Although I don't know what anyone looks like, I imagine Inky, Dauber, and bikeguychicago hanging back, drinking some beer awaiting their turn at the Atari 8) ....Sounds like a fun time! :-D Should have broke out the mic (and tape deck or digital field recorder) and done an impromptu interview with some folks about some of the games and then thrown it up on The Pie Factory Podcast...

• Like 1

Hi

got mine today.....looks good on my modded NTSC system.

Will check it out on my 7800 HDMI with stereo support,so i can see,if there is a bid difference.Game is a top title,

with good graphic and good sound....Gameplay is a little

bit difficult,but with my Edlafdin arcade controller,it works better,than i thought.Package and extras are great too.....a really good game,which is woth its money.

Btw....what are the tickets for?

greetings Walter

Hi

just played around for 30 minutes.Interacting

with boxes and jump is not so easy.I reached A6.

Some things,that i am missing.

Highscore Saving.And you cannot skip the intro...

And if you loose,you must start again in the first

level.....in the Windows version,i can start with the

last finished level.....Without this 3 points,the game

would be perfect.

Btw....i wish there was a level editor,so 7800 users could create new levels or even new worlds....like in BENTLEY BEAR.

I hope that all copies will be sold....i wanna see a sequel.

greetings Walter

Edited by gambler172

Some things,that i am missing.

Highscore Saving.

True. Highscore saving under the 7800 is missing...but...

And you cannot skip the intro...

Actually, you can skip it. Just keep pressing the button. The game even 'warns' you about doing so.

post-18-0-18653500-1552335010.png

post-18-0-34691400-1552335014.png

post-18-0-69071600-1552335017.png

And if you loose,you must start again in the first

level.....in the Windows version,i can start with the

last finished level...

Game Over/TRYing AGAIN can be a little bit tedious.

Dut recognizes your plight.

Just stay determined and watch for Direct Dutposit...coming to you soon in-game...

post-18-0-57041100-1552336025.png

post-18-0-38806900-1552336029.png

post-18-0-81005800-1552336033.png

post-18-0-99778600-1552336036.png

Two Out of Three Ain't Bad. :-D

• Like 2

I agree. Two out of three aint bad, especially since the game offers a different experience for single player vs co-op.

Im having lots of fun with this title and can see myself replaying it in single and co-op.

I cant wait to show this game off at our next game night.

• Like 1

Just a reminder that if you want the soundtrack or CD, you can get it here:

https://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/album/rikki-vikki

The soundtrack's digital version is free, or you can drop me money if you want. The CD is $10 with no shipping charges.

I keep thinking that I'm going to make a video about how I made the soundtrack soon, but life keeps getting in the way.

• Like 4

BTW, those of you who can't buy the 7800 game for whatever reason - too expensive for you right now, you don't have a 7800, etc. - still, get the Windows version. This is a really, really good game and worth having on any platform.

• Like 1

I am Really enjoying this game!!

It goes without saying at this point that it is Top Notch all the way around! Love it!

I hope in some fashion that it was a labor of love and you're not disappointed in the 7800 sales. I probably wouldn't be buying it for any other platforms, as I don't game on PCs...Now certainly if you guys ever make anything for NES, Turbografx, SNES, or Genesis...I'll be the First in line!!!

In a perfect world you'd make mountains of cash off of a game like this, and I think you'd be entitled to all of it and more!

Let's see, what am I trying to say here?

About the only thing I can still add is that you've made all of us very happy and I want to give my thanks and support. And hope you have future endeavors in the retro game scene!!

Keep us posted...You've made some fans here,...We'll do what we can to spread the word.

Cheers!

• Like 2

My entire family is absolutely loving this game. TailChao , i sent you that video of my kids playing and loving the game on twitter the other day, and now my wife is ALL IN on the game. This hasn't happened in my home since the release of Mario Kart 8. No small feat. That being said, aside from the 7800, THIS GAME BELONGS ON SWITCH and I honestly believe it would do so well on the eShop.