IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

I gave the ghost button press issue a little more thought last night and this morning, if there was another game which allowed a second player to join in and mash the controls at any time it'd run into the same problem right? But is there anything in the library like that?

Yep, there is - Xenophobe, and there's a report of the same issue right on these forums which is also mitigated by plugging a second controller in. However, if you can't get these to go away even with a second controller attached, definitely send your console in for a tune-up.

Addendum : Shinju, if you can PM me the serial numbers of your three 7800s and what revision they are (expansion port present or not) it'd be appreciated. I'd like to look for patterns here.

Hey Tailchao, sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this, life happened and I got super busy.

Anyway here we are.

First Gen 7800 with Expansion port on the side, ghost button with 1 or 2 controllers plugged in (Serial AT8461015)

Second 7800 (unsure of generation newer rev due to higher serial number) Ghost button issue with 1 or 2 controllers plugged in (Serial AT835221479)

Third 7800 (unsure of generation) Ghost button issue with 1 controller after 20-30 min, works perfect with both controllers plugged in (Serial AT815163002)

Also, I have a friend who bought this game and it works perfect on his non modified 7800 but on this composite modified console EVERY retail Atari 7800 game the console displays flawlessly, when Rikki & Vikki is inserted and turned on, blank screen, not even the Atari splash screen. I read that some who have composite/S-video modified systems seem to be fine, have you had anyone else report of issues with Composite only modified 7800s having issues?

Anyway, hope the information helps you in anyway possible!

Eagerly awaiting your next project!

Edited by Shinju

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I keep thinking that I'm going to make a video about how I made the soundtrack soon, but life keeps getting in the way.

No worries. I keep thinking that I'm going to make a video about how our manufacturing test and patch process (which runs on the 7800 itself) works, and after two months it still doesn't exist... nor does an official playthrough video of the Rock Cavern in co-op mode. Whoops.

I hope in some fashion that it was a labor of love and you're not disappointed in the 7800 sales. I probably wouldn't be buying it for any other platforms, as I don't game on PCs...

While I don't have any strong nostalgia for the 7800, the game itself was very much what I wanted to make - so in that regard I'm satisfied. But I did enjoy designing the content and stylizing the visuals around the hardware's limits.

The 7800 sales have actually been much better (or at least it moved much faster) than I anticipated, right now the Windows + Steam sales are the problem. When I checked the metrics a few days ago, Steam's sales were only ten copies ahead of the 7800 despite its positive reception. While it's quite possible we made a product that people don't want to buy, right now I think it's because not enough people know the game exists.

Now certainly if you guys ever make anything for NES, Turbografx, SNES, or Genesis...I'll be the First in line!!!

Haha, again - I can't make promises for what's next, even whether or not it'll be on old hardware. But I'd like to always provide an alternate (modern) way to play if we do another dinosaur thing.

Keep us posted...You've made some fans here,...We'll do what we can to spread the word.

Definitely, and I do want to thank everyone who has been talking about the game, doing reviews, posting playthroughs, or doing anything outside of this thread. We've had a lot of issues getting press since launch, so we're very dependent on organic growth like this.

My entire family is absolutely loving this game. TailChao , i sent you that video of my kids playing and loving the game on twitter the other day, and now my wife is ALL IN on the game. This hasn't happened in my home since the release of Mario Kart 8. No small feat.

Thanks and that video was great, reminded me of when my nieces were testing the game. But hey, the tagline is "Puzzling Action for One or Two Players."

That being said, aside from the 7800, THIS GAME BELONGS ON SWITCH and I honestly believe it would do so well on the eShop.

Switch port is still the top priority if the sales are good enough to pay for it.

Hey Tailchao, sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this, life happened and I got super busy.

No worries, and thanks for the info!

If you don't mind, I'd like to mail you a prototype of my SMS / Genesis adapters when they're ready and see if the issue goes away on 7800 #1 and #2.

I read that some who have composite/S-video modified systems seem to be fine, have you had anyone else report of issues with Composite only modified 7800s having issues?

This is the first I've heard of that problem, my best guess is that the HALT pin is bent on the cartridge slot (Rikki & Vikki is the only game which uses it) or something is up with the voltage regulator.

In any case, if that "next project" or any projects after that are on old hardware I'm definitely including a full hardware test suite along with it. These consoles are getting fussy.

• Like 3

No worries, and thanks for the info!

If you don't mind, I'd like to mail you a prototype of my SMS / Genesis adapters when they're ready and see if the issue goes away on 7800 #1 and #2.

I would love to help, I'll drop you my info via PM, I have plenty of SMS and Genesis controllers to try :)

Edited by Shinju

Just a reminder that if you want the soundtrack or CD, you can get it here:

https://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/album/rikki-vikki

The soundtrack's digital version is free, or you can drop me money if you want. The CD is $10 with no shipping charges.

I keep thinking that I'm going to make a video about how I made the soundtrack soon, but life keeps getting in the way.

I just wanted to say that I'll be picking up the CD on pay day! Your work on the game soundtrack was fantastic... I've been humming the songs to myself since I first played the game.

Seriously! Rikki and Vikki is outstanding, but let's not pretend there aren't other really good games on the system, including by other homebrewers.

That's all-true, and I'd add Xevious to that list as well, but let's not kid ourselves about this. Rikki & Vikki delivers what we all knew the 7800 was capable of doing had proper resources been made available to it.... high-capacity ROM size to match NES games, other sound chip options built into the cartridges, etc. Of course, getting the MARIA and SALLY to operate independently is a stroke of genius.

• Like 1

That's all-true, and I'd add Xevious to that list as well, but let's not kid ourselves about this. Rikki & Vikki delivers what we all knew the 7800 was capable of doing had proper resources been made available to it.... high-capacity ROM size to match NES games, other sound chip options built into the cartridges, etc. Of course, getting the MARIA and SALLY to operate independently is a stroke of genius.

Rikki and Vikki is outstanding... but so is Bently's Crystal Quest. We've really seen the old girl come to life over the last few years of homebrews.

Seriously, homebrews have taken the 7800 from an occasionally fun historical curiosity to one of the best retro systems for arcade games anywhere.

• Like 3

Of course. That's why I said "Rikki and Vikki is outstanding". You know full well that I've been saying for years that people can talk about "technical differences" between the NES and 7800 till the cows come home, but a big part of the problem is that the development scenarios were not equal.

- The NES had the A+ developers, the 7800 generally didn't.

- The NES developers made second, third, fourth, fifth generation games and learned the nuances of the system, whereas they didn't take the time on the 7800 due to market success.

- The NES developers made bigger and bigger cartridges with more advanced mappers etc. Tramiel Atari was really concerned with cost and actively fought against developers making big carts, using RAM, using POKEYs etc because the system was treated as a 'cash cow' to fund the computer development.

People can talk about whether MARIA is better or worse than PPU at N task till they are blue in the face, but the factors above made as much or more of a difference in the library comparisons than that.

All that said, I took exception to it being declared that Rikki and Vikki was the only good game on the system. It is absolutely outstanding and completely broke new ground, but come on. Other homebrewers also did their part (Pac Man Plus, Kenfused, SmittyB, GroovyBee etc) and a number of the original 7800 games were well done as well.

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 1

Again, I don't want anyone to think I fell Rikki and Vikki is anything short of outstanding. It truly is.

It isn't just the hardware technicals of being a huge cartridge, with a new mapper and a new sound chip.

It isn't just the software technicals of being entirely in 320 modes, having terrific art direction and the great looking boss battles and cut scenes.

It's a fantastic game. The controls are great. The challenges are great. The music is great.

The devs should be proud at how much they moved the needle

• Like 1

Guess I should weigh in here...

Of course, getting the MARIA and SALLY to operate independently is a stroke of genius.

This is very flattering, but also a little too generous. The HALTn pin, and documentation of its functionality, have been in the 7800 longer than I've been alive. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a prototype board in a landfill somewhere which has similar functionality.

You know full well that I've been saying for years that people can talk about "technical differences" between the NES and 7800 till the cows come home, but a big part of the problem is that the development scenarios were not equal.

I agree... to an extent. Having worked with "all three" (NES, 7800, and SMS) I confidently support the NES as the most well-balanced design. Nintendo got a lot right with the Famicom, whether you like the flicker or not - and it's also the oldest of this trifecta!

But at this point all three consoles are equally defunct and it no longer matters what could have been, because it already happened.

I took exception to it being declared that Rikki and Vikki was the only good game on the system. It is absolutely outstanding and completely broke new ground, but come on. Other homebrewers also did their part (Pac Man Plus, Kenfused, SmittyB, GroovyBee etc) and a number of the original 7800 games were well done as well.

Which games are good is highly subjective.

Guess I should weigh in here...

This is very flattering, but also a little too generous. The HALTn pin, and documentation of its functionality, have been in the 7800 longer than I've been alive. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a prototype board in a landfill somewhere which has similar functionality.

I agree... to an extent. Having worked with "all three" (NES, 7800, and SMS) I confidently support the NES as the most well-balanced design. Nintendo got a lot right with the Famicom, whether you like the flicker or not - and it's also the oldest of this trifecta!

I like the NES design a lot. My point was more than I don't feel that the world saw the best of the 7800 either. Look at the reaction to your own game.

Rikki and Vikki is one of those 'bar' games. It's a great game that also changed what everyone believes the 7800 is capable of. Now we know it really could have competed if talent and money had been there.

- The NES had the A+ developers, the 7800 generally didn't.

- The NES developers made second, third, fourth, fifth generation games and learned the nuances of the system, whereas they didn't take the time on the 7800 due to market success.

- The NES developers made bigger and bigger cartridges with more advanced mappers etc. Tramiel Atari was really concerned with cost and actively fought against developers making big carts, using RAM, using POKEYs etc because the system was treated as a 'cash cow' to fund the computer development.

And this is the reason. No one until two or three of the homebrew devs here ever really PUSHED the 7800, figured out all the tricks and capabilities. The folks HERE finally did that, and now we are seeing that the 7800 really was a very good game console for it's time.

If we took R&V, Crystal Quest, Pac Man Collection, and some of the other great homebrews back in time to, say, 2004, no one would believe those were 7800 games without visual proof. They;re that much better than the officially released games, fun as some of those may be.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone was saying it's the only good game on 7800; So much as they were going back to the Theoretical What If (and this is a long time In A Perfect World type metaphor for 7800 fans)...What if this was released back in the day?

The short answer is we would have loved it!

• Like 1

Rikki and Vikki is one of those 'bar' games. It's a great game that also changed what everyone believes the 7800 is capable of. Now we know it really could have competed if talent and money had been there.

I agree that it sets the bar very high, but that is because it exhibits a level of polish that the majority of the original releases for the console lacked. Atari wasn't interested in recruiting developers with the vision and talent to tax the boundaries of the hardware; they were only looking to engage "competent" programmers who could push "just good enough" product to the market en masse with low budgets and short development cycles.

Which games are good is highly subjective.

Not when it comes to your game, then it is highly objective. :grin:

• Like 1

And this is the reason. No one until two or three of the homebrew devs here ever really PUSHED the 7800, figured out all the tricks and capabilities. The folks HERE finally did that, and now we are seeing that the 7800 really was a very good game console for it's time.

I don't know if I'd quite go that far, but I do certainly believe that any games that started to move the needle technically on the 7800 started to do so at the end of life of the system and didn't get a lot of distribution or even didn't get released at all.

To this day, you still get people thinking that the 7800 is a system that plays a "better Ms Pac Man".

Hi Guys

checked Rikki and Vikki on different systems.On unmodded

systems,it works well.On my modded PAL systems...works well

also...on my HDMI system...works well and looks great.

But on my prefered modded 7800 NTSC systems,i have big

problems.....i get a splash screen or a black screen....

but sometimes it works...do not know what is the reason.

However all other carts work on this system.

greetings Walter