IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

Hi TailChao,

First of all:

Congragulations on this awesome release. I played it yesterday for an hour and half: the gameplay and design is spot on! The packaging also is amazingly cool.

Two remarks:

I'm using a PAL A7800 with built in scart cable (only released in france) but the music is way to silent. I turned the potentiometer to the maximum, and I still need to turn my amplifier all the way to the max just to hear the music. Naturally the regular sound effects become earpiercing loud like this. Can something be done

Secondly I got hit pretty hard by customs the game ended up costing me 120 dollar in total. There are ways to ship with customs already included (Limited Run Games, Play-asia use these methods) so that European people don't get fined when the package arrives.Just an idea!

• Like 1

Hi TailChao,

First of all:

Congragulations on this awesome release. I played it yesterday for an hour and half: the gameplay and design is spot on! The packaging also is amazingly cool.

Two remarks:

I'm using a PAL A7800 with built in scart cable (only released in france) but the music is way to silent. I turned the potentiometer to the maximum, and I still need to turn my amplifier all the way to the max just to hear the music. Naturally the regular sound effects become earpiercing loud like this. Can something be done

Secondly I got hit pretty hard by customs the game ended up costing me 120 dollar in total. There are ways to ship with customs already included (Limited Run Games, Play-asia use these methods) so that European people don't get fined when the package arrives.Just an idea!

in germany,customs ignore a lower price...you must proof

the real value.If you cannot,they return the parcel to the

sender.In germany,customs are really strict....i always must drive 120 kilometers,to get my parcel.This time i had

luck...i got the game without paying any tax

The first time since many parcels....

Best way to ship is Fedex....sure it is expensive...but

it is fast and you need not pay any fees.

greetings Walter

Two remarks:

Update: I dug up my regular A7800 and the music is fine. What could be the issue with the SCART model or is it ionly on mine?

But on my prefered modded 7800 NTSC systems,i have big

problems.....i get a splash screen or a black screen....

but sometimes it works...do not know what is the reason.

However all other carts work on this system.

I recommend thoroughly cleaning the cartridge slot. As of writing, Rikki & Vikki is the only game which uses the HALT pin - and if this doesn't make a secure contact the game cannot run.

Update: I dug up my regular A7800 and the music is fine. What could be the issue with the SCART model or is it ionly on mine?

CatPix ran into this on his Peritel 7800.

Atari changed the mixing circuit a third time which makes the TIA so loud that our adjustment facilities aren't sufficient. You can modify the SCART model to use the NTSC mixing circuit, and I highly recommend this as other games will run into this same problem.

I'm currently looking into this, as I do agree the customs fees are outrageous.

Again, I don't want anyone to think I fell Rikki and Vikki is anything short of outstanding. It truly is.

It isn't just the hardware technicals of being a huge cartridge, with a new mapper and a new sound chip.

It isn't just the software technicals of being entirely in 320 modes, having terrific art direction and the great looking boss battles and cut scenes.

It's a fantastic game. The controls are great. The challenges are great. The music is great.

The devs should be proud at how much they moved the needle

And I want to chime in on all the little things, such as the ‘warning notice’ when you plug in a one button joystick, and the game’s disappointment when you skip the opening sequence, that really take this over the top. And the music! I popped in Donkey Kong Jr. after a round of Rikki and Vikki...and quickly popped it back out. My ears! It’s wonderful having quality in-game music.

• Like 4

Love this game, bought the steam version and it is great!!!

Slightly left field request - do you have a high-res image of the 7800 box you can share.

I ask as I use launchbox as my FE for all PC games - and have popped Rikki & Vikki windows into my 7800 collection, but lack good artwork to use...

sTeVE

• Like 1

And I want to chime in on all the little things, such as the ‘warning notice’ when you plug in a one button joystick, and the game’s disappointment when you skip the opening sequence, that really take this over the top.

The warning notice isn't without reason - you can damage Q5, Q6, or Q8 by holding down the button on a VCS joystick while the hardware is in two-button mode. Some games switch back into one-button mode to protect the hardware, while others... do nothing at all. I would have preferred to also have the notice as an in-game popup, to cover a user hotplugging a one-button joystick... but there wasn't enough space in the fixed bank.

The whole design of the 7800's input block is the one thing I believe should absolutely not have shipped as-is.

And the music! I popped in Donkey Kong Jr. after a round of Rikki and Vikki...and quickly popped it back out. My ears! It’s wonderful having quality in-game music.

When I started testing BupSystem's accuracy with the commercial library I thought there was something wrong with my TIA emulation because both of the 'Kongs sounded so hideous. But nope, correct behavior :(

Addendum : Whoops, missed one!

Slightly left field request - do you have a high-res image of the 7800 box you can share.

Yep, here. If you need a higher resolution than that send over a PM and I'll give you the press kit. Edited by TailChao
  • Like 3

I don't know if I'd quite go that far, but I do certainly believe that any games that started to move the needle technically on the 7800 started to do so at the end of life of the system and didn't get a lot of distribution or even didn't get released at all.

To this day, you still get people thinking that the 7800 is a system that plays a "better Ms Pac Man".

I suppose Midnight Mutants does qualify as well, but it was certainly too little too late by that point.

The 7800 is a console I owned and liked back in the day, but never loved. The homebrew scene has made it my favorite arcade console. It's been cool how much good stuff has been released long after it's prime.

• Like 2

I suppose Midnight Mutants does qualify as well, but it was certainly too little too late by that point.

The 7800 is a console I owned and liked back in the day, but never loved. The homebrew scene has made it my favorite arcade console. It's been cool how much good stuff has been released long after it's prime.

I actually think a number of games released or in the works moved the needle substantially in terms of earlier games. Midnight Mutants is one. Alien Brigade, Commando, Scrapyard Dog, Basketbrawl, Sirius and Plutos as well.

But yes, it's pretty awesome how much cool stuff came out later.

I actually think a number of games released or in the works moved the needle substantially in terms of earlier games. Midnight Mutants is one. Alien Brigade, Commando, Scrapyard Dog, Basketbrawl, Sirius and Plutos as well.

But yes, it's pretty awesome how much cool stuff came out later.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the original stuff. Xevious and Desert Falcon are played constantly, as are Commando and Joust. Say ten games in all. With the homebrews and protos (like Sirius, Plutos etc) that number has more than doubled.

• Like 2

One question: In the preview video, the intro sequence is accompanied by a voice-over. Is that only in the Windows version of the game? I didn't hear the voice on my 7800 version.

Nah, the voice acting is exclusive to the trailer video along with its accompanying music track.

So I just tried Rikki & Vikki on my AV modded 7800. At first I wasn't sure if anything was different from before it was modded, other than maybe the volume of the music was a little bit lower than I remembered when I made my video, and the sound effects for the blocks and keys slightly louder. Then I turned it off and stuck in a regular 7800 game and realized HOLY CRUD I HAD CRANKED UP MY TV and had to quickly turn the volume WAY down. So yeah, the game got quieter after the mod by a significant degree.

So I just tried Rikki & Vikki on my AV modded 7800. At first I wasn't sure if anything was different from before it was modded, other than maybe the volume of the music was a little bit lower than I remembered when I made my video, and the sound effects for the blocks and keys slightly louder. Then I turned it off and stuck in a regular 7800 game and realized HOLY CRUD I HAD CRANKED UP MY TV and had to quickly turn the volume WAY down. So yeah, the game got quieter after the mod by a significant degree.

Likely the mod that was done wasn't using updated instructions on how to handle the TIA and External audio line properly.

• Like 1

Easiest thing to do is to attach another set of matching resistors off the south legs of R5 and R6. Tie the other ends of those together. Then attach those to the + lead of a 10uf 16v capacitor with the negative lead to the center of the audio out RCA jack or jacks if wired dual mono.

Not sure how it is handled exactly if they wired it for stereo TIA though. External Audio line would have to be ran to one of the channels in a case like that so all music would be on one channel with sound effects split.

Easiest thing to do is to attach another set of matching resistors off the south legs of R5 and R6. Tie the other ends of those together. Then attach those to the + lead of a 10uf 16v capacitor with the negative lead to the center of the audio out RCA jack or jacks if wired dual mono.

Not sure how it is handled exactly if they wired it for stereo TIA though. External Audio line would have to be ran to one of the channels in a case like that so all music would be on one channel with sound effects split.

Excellent. I have passed all the details along and I'll see Mr. Fix-It either this weekend or the next - whenever he's home and free to tinker with my 7800. :D

I had the same experience! I thought my 1084S finally broke down after turning up the volume to the max just to be able to get audible sounds.

I had the same experience! I thought my 1084S finally broke down after turning up the volume to the max just to be able to get audible sounds.

Do keep in mind there is a volume trimmer inside the cart itself that can be adjusted and the player 1 difficulty is used to set the TIA audio. Left or A is Loud (Where I keep mine set to be in balance with the external audio), and Right or B for lower volume TIA sound.

• Like 1

Do keep in mind there is a volume trimmer inside the cart itself that can be adjusted and the player 1 difficulty is used to set the TIA audio. Left or A is Loud (Where I keep mine set to be in balance with the external audio), and Right or B for lower volume TIA sound.

Yep, and I highly recommend trying both of the adjustment facilities provided by the game before modifying your console. We added these specifically because of the different mixing circuits present in the hardware, both official and aftermarket.

• Like 1