IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

I finally had some time to work on the ProSMS and got an ugly prototype together.

Reminder : I won't be mass producing and selling these, but the design materials will be freely available once completed.

attachicon.gifProSMS_Proto.jpeg

Jumper on the bottom selects one or two button mode, this'll be a locking switch in the final. Operates happily with super long extension cords and all other sorts of inconveniences. The set of blue resistors on the left are current limiters to protect the RIOT in case a game configures any pins as outputs. Decoupling capacitors are hidden underneath the board.

Now to try and cram this into a dual DB9 hood :) .

I actually wouldn't mind making a Game & Watch. It'd be a good way to get rid of the hundreds of low-end PICs I have around ;) .

But something like that would be expensive to manufacture from the upfront tooling costs. You've got numerous small plastic pieces, one or more fixed character displays, and the metal plates on the case. The (real) Nintendo ones are incredibly well made despite their simplicity.

Excellent!

ProSMS? What is this, and how did I miss this?

ProSMS? What is this, and how did I miss this?

It's a simplified and segafied version of the ProNES. Basically an alternate solution for using SMS or Genesis controllers with selectable one or two button emulation modes.

I haven't had time to finish the final PCB design yet, and are trying to shove it inside a standard dual head DB9 hood.

• Like 1

It's a simplified and segafied version of the ProNES. Basically an alternate solution for using SMS or Genesis controllers with selectable one or two button emulation modes.

I haven't had time to finish the final PCB design yet, and are trying to shove it inside a standard dual head DB9 hood.

Getting into a case can be tricky given the low clearance for such things on the 7800s cart ports along with their slightly downward angle. Might be best to think about adding a small DB9 cable off the end to plug into the 7800 with the box attached from that. Similar to Edladdin's Seagull78 adapters.

• Like 1

Getting into a case can be tricky given the low clearance for such things on the 7800s cart ports along with their slightly downward angle. Might be best to think about adding a small DB9 cable off the end to plug into the 7800 with the box attached from that. Similar to Edladdin's Seagull78 adapters.

For a proper mass produced version, definitely. But at least for now it'll have to be a dual head passthrough like the ProNES (and require placement of a certain book underneath the 7800).

Anyway, once these guys are ready I'll make another topic for them which also covers the issues / shortcomings with the 7800's input block. All the design materials will be available if someone else wants to mass produce them, I can only do games or accessories - not both.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There really isn't a cheat code to start from at least another cavern?

I would like to finish the game but I don't have the time to do it on a single session.

While I'm not going to deny the existence of diagnostic codes in the game, there are a few "unauthorized services" which can be used to navigate around the park outside of the order intended by Misery. A few curious players have already managed to find them, but as the developer I can only confirm their presence.

While I'm not going to deny the existence of diagnostic codes in the game, there are a few "unauthorized services" which can be used to navigate around the park outside of the order intended by Misery. A few curious players have already managed to find them, but as the developer I can only confirm their presence.

Game Genie like device, or some bizarre button press combo? Some games I have heard enabled diagnostic codes through a second controller.
  • Like 1

I'm just checking in once again with another message of gratitude and amazement for this game. Over at my house this past month we've hosted 2 large birthday parties for my 5 & 7 year old girls. In my basement I have 4 pinball machines, a NES hooked up to a CRT, another gaming station set up with 6 retro systems on an RGB switcher and in the corner- a PVM with an Atari 600XL and 7800 hooked up to it- which is to say, there's no shortage of gaming options. EACH AND EVERY TIME we have people over, the 7800 is switched on and kids gather round en masse to watch a 2 Player Rikki & Vikki game. Nothing short of amazing. Sonic, Contra and Super Mario 3 abandoned, all eyes on the 7800 with maniacal laughter abound. My 2 girls, Junie & Dottie (for real) are like the de-facto ambassadors for this game. A Lineman for the Minnesota Vikings came to Junie's school to give a motivational speech and during question time she got up to the mic to exclusively ask him if he'd ever played Rikki & Vikki. (He said he hadn't but he was pretty sure his friend had it... really wanted to follow up on that one). So TailChao- once again, here's to you; and Junie & Dottie would love to be characters in your next game lol!

• Like 5

Ah, that's awesome to hear! Thanks so much!

I do want to mention that some of Rikki & Vikki's features (like Direct Dutposit) actually resulted from watching my two nieces test the game during development. Same for parts of the stage design and presentation - making sure the everything worked for single-digiters was very very important.

EACH AND EVERY TIME we have people over, the 7800 is switched on and kids gather round en masse to watch a 2 Player Rikki & Vikki game. Nothing short of amazing. Sonic, Contra and Super Mario 3 abandoned, all eyes on the 7800 with maniacal laughter abound.

This is pretty much how my friends and I were at that age with Sega's World of Illusion - which is what I wanted to build upon (and also highly recommend).

Edited by TailChao
  • Like 1

If someone knows how to start from a different cavern, please send me a personal message.

I will not share the information.

I reached cave S again, I have to turn off the console, and I don't have the time to start from the beginning again.

Please! I would like to enjoy the game till the end!

• Like 1

If someone knows how to start from a different cavern, please send me a personal message.

I will not share the information.

I reached cave S again, I have to turn off the console, and I don't have the time to start from the beginning again.

Please! I would like to enjoy the game till the end!

+1 This info needs to get out. I'm not sure why the devs would tell us a diagnostic mode exists but not tell us how to access it. I would imagine it to be some combination of buttons on the console switches, right or left joystick port, at boot, during menu or attract mode. Could be a simple button press or elaborate like the Konami code.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

+1 This info needs to get out. I'm not sure why the devs would tell us a diagnostic mode exists but not tell us how to access it.

Mostly because I was trying to hint there's pertinent content in the game which doesn't require using a diagnostic menu. As in, a secret - which it's not usually the developer's responsibility to announce, but rather the player's to find.

But now that this has been found, it's open season :

• Like 1

Mostly because I was trying to hint there's pertinent content in the game which doesn't require using a diagnostic menu. As in, a secret - which it's not usually the developer's responsibility to announce, but rather the player's to find.

But now that this has been found, it's open season :

To select a cave (not irregular cave), do I need to finish first cave without losing a life and to trap the villain on last level?

Does it works in two players mode?

To select a cave (not irregular cave), do I need to finish first cave without losing a life and to trap the villain on last level?

Does it works in two players mode?

I believe what needs to be done is to get through each section without killing any of the enemies. The boxes aren't be used to trap so much as to keep the enemies in a spot where you have enough room to get the keys nearby.

@OP: I have a solid contact into Atari, if you are interested in talks about making this work on the AtariBox. Can't guarantee anything, but I can ask. ;)

No harm in asking, and thanks! Our sales haven't been high enough to fund any console ports, but I'm trying to at least prepare for them - just in case.

I believe what needs to be done is to get through each section without killing any of the enemies. The boxes aren't be used to trap so much as to keep the enemies in a spot where you have enough room to get the keys nearby.

Basically yes, and...

...if you listen closely, there's a quiet "ba-ding" sound to confirm you're doing this correctly after clearing each stage.

I do want to apologize that I can't just dispense the presence of and criteria for stuff like this, but again - they're secrets.