IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

• 3 weeks later...

Woah, half a year has gone by already! Let's celebrate - the Windows version of Rikki & Vikki is half price on Steam this week. Only $4.99!

Also a reminder for anyone who placed (or will place) an order for the 7800 version between June 21st and July 1st : these won't ship out until July 2nd. Taking a break, thanks for your patience.

• Like 6

It took me and my daughter 50 or more trys to beat the level 1 boss as he is way harder than single player. She said he is harder than botw zelda final boss Gannon. 

Too bad there was no game save on this game as will never finish it. 

I can not get anyone to play past a few screens on the sand level too hard and they quit.. 

I can make it to the bubble level but the fire boss if pretty hard. 

I can not imagine someone playing with no unlimited lives and finishing as the timing is very unforgiving in the game. 

Should be an easy with blocks staying frozen for an extra 5 seconds. 

On 6/27/2019 at 9:01 PM, Jinks said:

It took me and my daughter 50 or more trys to beat the level 1 boss as he is way harder than single player. She said he is harder than botw zelda final boss Gannon. 

Too bad there was no game save on this game as will never finish it. 

I can not get anyone to play past a few screens on the sand level too hard and they quit.. 

I can make it to the bubble level but the fire boss if pretty hard. 

I can not imagine someone playing with no unlimited lives and finishing as the timing is very unforgiving in the game. 

Should be an easy with blocks staying frozen for an extra 5 seconds. 

Infinite continues without restarting the entire game would have been nice. I made it to the first boss then game over and booted back to the menu. I am sure I can beat the boss but it takes more than three tries to memorize the patterns.

Game is amazing but goes back to "nes-hard" roots...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kosmic Stardust said:

Infinite continues without restarting the entire game would have been nice. I made it to the first boss then game over and booted back to the menu. I am sure I can beat the boss but it takes more than three tries to memorize the patterns.

There is infinite lives on the second try again. You know that right? That was revealed  pretty much release day.

The level one boss single player is mario weak boss easy. 

The two player level one is 30x as hard with unforgiving jumps carefull timing which gets screwed up when one player hits him with a block. 

It can be done with dozens of attempts. 

It is a hard game for sure. I have no idea how anyone can beat it without Dut's help.

Edited by Jinks

56 minutes ago, Jinks said:

There is infinite lives on the second try again. You know that right? That was revealed  pretty much release day.

The level one boss single player is mario weak boss easy. 

The two player level one is 30x as hard with unforgiving jumps carefull timing which gets screwed up when one player hits him with a block. 

It can be done with dozens of attempts. 

It is a hard game for sure. I have no idea how anyone can beat it without Dut's help.

I only played it once. Now that I know, I'll just kill myself early on... ???

6 hours ago, Kosmic Stardust said:

As Dut says in the instruction pamphlet...

Spoiler

Don't give up after your first GAME OVER. Some challenges take a little persistence, and lots of persistence might grant you extra support.

6 hours ago, Kosmic Stardust said:

I would classify it more specifically as "Konami-hard" - but yes, the difficulty can be a little high even when some of the quality of life features kick in.

3 hours ago, save2600 said:

Isn't there a level select code hidden somewhere here in the thread? For those of us that need it spelled out, maybe just "hide" the code in a spoiler tag.   :)

IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY.

Spoiler

Note that the criteria for getting to Dut's Discount Warps are a little looser than what's written in the video description. But it gets the basic idea right.

2 hours ago, Jinks said:

Pass the first 9 levels like splinter cell. 

Problem is can not got unlimited lives after the level select....

You can still enroll in Direct Dutposit after using the Discount Warps, Dut is always happy to take your score.

1 hour ago, Kosmic Stardust said:

I only played it once. Now that I know, I'll just kill myself early on... ???

The Windows version rewards you with an achievement for doing exactly this.

26 minutes ago, DracIsBack said:

TailChao - how how you felt about how 7800 sales have gone, thus far?

Considering the difficulties we had in getting the game widely promoted, I think they've been okay.

Last I checked the number was up to 346 orders for the 7800 version. This has been enough to finance looking into some of the manufacturing improvements I'd like to make if we do another run of Rikki & Vikki or another product entirely.

However, the Windows version's sales have fallen extremely short of what we'd need to tackle something bigger and better. At least as I write this, the game has yet to make back even half of what was invested in it.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

@TailChao, sorry other platform sales have been soft, but I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say we look forward to anything else you decide to come up with for the 7800.   :)

Also, can't help but wonder if titles like this (super polished/highly refined) from developers like you might be best served on niche systems. Systems like the Amiga (including the latest systems that run OS4.x), CD32, PCE/TG-16, Jaguar, Intellivision, etc. Those platforms have their cult followers that'll buy games like Rikki & Vikki, just to have something new to play or collect for (or even support just out of principle) their favorite systems than say more mainstream platforms, that are over saturated and flooded with too many choices.

In other words, I can see where a great game can get lost in the mix on iOS, Windoze and Steam, yet shine and stand out on the aforementioned. Probably nothing you haven't considered, just saying.  :)

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Also, can't help but wonder if titles like this (super polished/highly refined) from developers like you might be best served on niche systems. Systems like the Amiga (including the latest systems that run OS4.x), CD32, PCE/TG-16, Jaguar, Intellivision, etc. Those platforms have their cult followers that'll buy games like Rikki & Vikki, just to have something new to play or collect for (or even support just out of principle) their favorite systems than say more mainstream platforms, that are over saturated and flooded with too many choices.

I have no issue with developing for any niche (or not niche) platform as long as...

• The graphics and sound hardware allows me to stylize the content in an interesting way.
  • I can make it available on a less niche platform like Windows or the Nintendo Switch.
  • The project can be sufficiently funded.

The last point in particular is the most challenging one, especially with projects that have a very large scope. A real slam-bam 16-Bit game would run between $350,000 - $400,000 minimum, and you're not going to make that back on a small customer base unless the software costs $799.99 per cartridge. I don't think charging that much is reasonable.

Like, I'd be happy to do a Jaguar game. But Rikki & Vikki would have to get around 50,000 sales on Steam to pay for it, and the Jaguar software would have to turn a profit through sales on a modern platform rather than cartridges.

3 hours ago, TailChao said:

... the Windows version's sales have fallen extremely short of what we'd need to tackle something bigger and better. At least as I write this, the game has yet to make back even half of what was invested in it.

That is really unfortunate to read given how excellent this game is and how much went into creating it.  Hopefully, sales pick up.  I did buy the Windows version this week (and I have the 7800 cart version).

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 4:46 PM, TrekMD said:

That is really unfortunate to read given how excellent this game is and how much went into creating it.  Hopefully, sales pick up.  I did buy the Windows version this week (and I have the 7800 cart version).

It didn't get a ton of press coverage, though some smaller sites picked it up.  I'm surprised that AtariAge itself didn't have anything to say about it.

We got it reviewed on a decently-sized YouTuber's page (The 8-bit Guy) but 1) the game was reviewed as a part of 3 games being reviewed, and 2) most of those people are interested computers more than consoles, and even if they are, they'll be interested in the hardware copy if at all, and he doesn't mention that it's available on Steam anywhere.  Otherwise though it's a decent review of the hardware cart.

6 hours ago, RushJet1 said:

I'm surprised that AtariAge itself didn't have anything to say about it.

?

Al is a one man show for doing a lot of things on this site.   Submitting to the above ensures it is brought to his attention and is reminded of it. ?

• Like 1

Bad sales are kind of the default for any product release, especially a low budget game. So it's not like we went into this with false expectations. But I do want to thank everyone for your support.

To be clear though, this doesn't mean I won't continue developing games. Rather that unless sales pick up in the next few months then something bigger, better, and delivered quickly is highly unlikely. I'd like to at least get updates for BupSystem and the Windows version of Rikki & Vikki pushed out before we may have to pack up.

On 6/29/2019 at 10:29 PM, Synthpopalooza said:

I for one want to see a Rikki and Vikki part two.  One of the best games ever for the 7800.  I can't wait to start developing games using this hardware.

If I was to direct another 7800 game it likely wouldn't be a sequel to Rikki & Vikki, nor would it use the (exact) same hardware. SOUPER was a good design for what Rikki & Vikki needed, but it's no MMC3 or MMC5 equivalent.

10 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

It's a shame how a good game like this gets a following on the 7800, while on the windows platform it gets ignored.  :(

To be fair, it's extremely difficult to get any visibility on a crowded platform.

Ah, also - shipments will resume tomorrow.

• Like 1