IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Giles N said:

Have you considered a Rikki & Vikki release for the EverCade handheld?

Perhaps if you struck a deal with other indie-developers, you could figure out a sort of collection of games to pack on a Cartridge, and still have revenue or get attention?

We've received a few (and I mean few - as in three) requests for an Evercade version, and I don't think it makes sense for Rikki & Vikki. As of writing there's no functional two player features on the Evercade, which saws off about half the game's content. It'd also require an investment comparable to bringing the software over to any other modern platform. If we were to do another version I'd rather it be for the Nintendo Switch - that's a much better fit.

Aside from shipping out the last handful of cartridges and occasional maintenance of the Steam version, I have moved on to other projects. Rikki & Vikki had its chance over a year and a half ago and I see no reason to continue pushing it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TailChao said:

We've received a few (and I mean few - as in three) requests for an Evercade version, and I don't think it makes sense for Rikki & Vikki. As of writing there's no functional two player features on the Evercade, which saws off about half the game's content. It'd also require an investment comparable to bringing the software over to any other modern platform. If we were to do another version I'd rather it be for the Nintendo Switch - that's a much better fit.

Is that because of having to port the bupsystem emulator to the Evercade chipset?  Yeah, too bad there's no 2-player link support.  That would have been great for the Lynx carts as well.

It's always good to see great games ported to the Switch, but I'd imagine we're only talking about a digital release?.. I only buy physical releases.  I suppose a physical release would be a big investment, but there are plenty of companies that specialize in that, which might be the best way to guarantee sales since pretty much everything they put out is treated as collector items by collectors who buy no matter what (I'm kinda in that crowd).  Minimal advertising needed that way too.

17 minutes ago, TailChao said:

Aside from shipping out the last handful of cartridges and occasional maintenance of the Steam version, I have moved on to other projects. Rikki & Vikki had its chance over a year and a half ago and I see no reason to continue pushing it.

I'm glad you've sold most of your stock, but sad to hear it wasn't what you'd hoped for.  I've done my part though (bought 2 copies for myself, one for my brother, one as a gift for a friend who loves it, and I demo'd it at a gaming expo in Las Cruces - had it set up for all to play and told them where to buy).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

Is that because of having to port the bupsystem emulator to the Evercade chipset?  Yeah, too bad there's no 2-player link support.  That would have been great for the Lynx carts as well.

It's a combination of porting BupSystem's core and the desire to add quality of life features expected by console owners, particularly the latter. New in-game menu system, support for multiple save slots, rad video filters, yadda yadda - little things that make the package more than just an emulator and binary tossed together. It's already an investment to move the software over so I rather we'd put the effort in or not pursue it at all.

It's always good to see great games ported to the Switch, but I'd imagine we're only talking about a digital release?.. I only buy physical releases.  I suppose a physical release would be a big investment, but there are plenty of companies that specialize in that, which might be the best way to guarantee sales since pretty much everything they put out is treated as collector items by collectors who buy no matter what (I'm kinda in that crowd).  Minimal advertising needed that way too.

Yeah, it would have been digital only unless the original launch was wildly successful.

While it can be argued a bling box release for the Switch would net more eyes on the product - we didn't have the funds or the demand to justify it at the time. I apologize for constantly harping on it, but we couldn't run the studio for free and there was little interest from outside in supporting a product which didn't garner much attention - we tried, too.

I'm glad you've sold most of your stock, but sad to hear it wasn't what you'd hoped for.  I've done my part though (bought 2 copies for myself, one for my brother, one as a gift for a friend who loves it, and I demo'd it at a gaming expo in Las Cruces - had it set up for all to play and told them where to buy).

No worries, I was aware of the risks going into this - and thanks for the support :)

Edited by TailChao
  • Like 1

Well’p @TailChao, I just took the plunge and bought a 7800 off of eBay, and a copy of Rikki & Vikki from your site. This game tipped the balance for me at least! 

There will probably never be the critical mass of users to make development on the 7800 financially viable on its own, but it’s inching in the right direction.  

I’m amazed at how the homebrew community (software and hardware) is putting the pieces in place to keep the scene viable for years to come. That may only ever amount to a few thousand people, but who knows? Remember, vinyl was dead 20 years ago too. 

Anyway, thanks for creating a killer game. I can’t wait to play it!

• Like 3

Hey, thanks!

We're down to the last 50 copies now.

On 8/16/2020 at 2:19 PM, electronicsibley said:

There will probably never be the critical mass of users to make development on the 7800 financially viable on its own, but it’s inching in the right direction. 

Despite what happened with Rikki & Vikki I'm still convinced this is feasible. Not by moving cartridges, rather by developing a game with wide enough appeal to net significant digital sales. But 7800 or not, that part is never easy!

• Like 6

@TailChao

You could be... famous as an instructor in A7800 programming and game-design!

Famous!

(Within retro-game-communities).

- - -

Inserting the BupSystem on an EverCade-port of Rikki & Vikki ... could make you ... money (to pay your bills).

- - - 

And it wouldn’t need to be so much more time and energy spent with this game (which anyway seems to be a big hit among Atari7800 retro-gamers, which I guess was the target-audience).

- - -

Anyway, whatever your next project: good luck!! You and your staff has provided 8-bit quality!

Again, the compliments and enthusiasm are sincerely appreciated - but an EverCade version isn't happening. The Nintendo Switch was a far better candidate, but the Windows version's sales couldn't fund it - doing a high quality port is not a Drag 'n Drop.

I cannot justify any further investment in Rikki & Vikki or the 7800 at this time.

Edited by TailChao
  • Sad 4

10 hours ago, TailChao said:

Again, the compliments and enthusiasm are sincerely appreciated - but an EverCade version isn't happening. The Nintendo Switch was a far better candidate, but the Windows version's sales couldn't fund it - doing a high quality port is not a Drag 'n Drop.

I cannot justify any further investment in Rikki & Vikki or the 7800 at this time.

Four words: Rikki & Vikki plushes. They'll be the hit of any gaming convention! Please also consider the Weighted Companion Cube Physical Support Cube for a stuffie as well! Thanks.

• Like 3

It is sad that this couldn't make it to Switch. I just recently got one and it would be a great fit for that console. With the focus on family and multiplayer you could see about an Amico port.

I know you said moving on but I think some of us are really wanting this to be bigger. 

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 2

On 8/22/2020 at 8:13 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

Four words: Rikki & Vikki plushes. They'll be the hit of any gaming convention! Please also consider the Weighted Companion Cube Physical Support Cube for a stuffie as well! Thanks.

If we rewind towards launch times, I was looking into this minus the Physical Support Cube Box Type Objects since there's a few people in my area who design plushes. But, eh... maybe for the next thing, whenever that happens.

On 8/22/2020 at 9:17 PM, MrBeefy said:

I know you said moving on but I think some of us are really wanting this to be bigger. 

Sure, I want that too. But if it was going to happen it already would have.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, TailChao said:

If we rewind towards launch times, I was looking into this minus the Physical Support Cube Box Type Objects since there's a few people in my area who design plushes. But, eh... maybe for the next thing, whenever that happens.

You know, I was kind of joking about that, but merch can provide a lucrative side-business. When I was at PRGE last year, I noticed the huge kiddie turnout...and the fact that few vendors were actively going after their money: Rikki & Vikki is tailor-made for that audience. And almost none of the new games debuting at PRGE had any product tie-ins; one of the few was Galagon, and you can be sure I snapped up a shirt. The Rikki & Vikki lunchbox would have been the must-have item at the event. :)

Ooh -- or Rikki & Vikki gashapon! It might be more feasible (ie. cheaper) to print out individual characters. If I was selling the game at a convention, I'd give every buyer of the a free turn at a gashapon dispenser (filled with random characters, including bosses); two to five bucks for everyone else. Complete the entire set! "Maybe I should get another..."

You also have to be careful with plushes, though it sounds like TailChao knew some people they could likely depend on. I was part of the 40 Winks Kickstarter, and they went through a time getting plushes made, ultimately canceled them and substituted something else, but said those who wanted one could still request it within their limited supply. I think the company stopped talking to them, it was a Chinese plush factory, but they also weren't happy with them. I did ask for one just as they'd be rare, but man, it screams 'unlicensed carnival prize' if I ever saw one.

• Like 1

Yes, I can definitely see that, which is why 3D printed objects would be (have been) the way to go. I'm not sure how feasible it is to cheaply print up multicoloured objects, but even single colours would be quite cool. Also: I want to buy a Rikki & Vikki  t-shirt (and two for the kids, too!). Someone sell (licensed products only, please) these to me.

The merchandise can be lucrative, yeah. But as with most things - if you're going to do it well it needs way more financial backing than usually expected.

4 minutes ago, Hastor said:

You also have to be careful with plushes, though it sounds like TailChao knew some people they could likely depend on.

Unless the game sold in the hundreds of thousands we wouldn't do more than a handful of one-off plushes. Mostly the main characters, or just Dut who is by far the most plush-able. A good designer's time isn't free (and rightly shouldn't be), and making sure all of these can be manufactured at scale (at quality) is very difficult.

Also if we made a bunch of swag and the game still flopped I don't want to be stuck with thousands of plushes crammed into every closet, cabinet, and shoved under every sink - no thanks.

3 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Yes, I can definitely see that, which is why 3D printed objects would be (have been) the way to go. I'm not sure how feasible it is to cheaply print up multicoloured objects, but even single colours would be quite cool. Also: I want to buy a Rikki & Vikki  t-shirt (and two for the kids, too!). Someone sell (licensed products only, please) these to me.

I mean, it's all way out of scope at this point. But from prior experience making figures - if it's not supposed to be articulated you can get better results by just doing a sculpt and making casts without any 3D printer or other gizmos.

• Like 2

You never know. Even tho Rikki and Vikki never got the online download sales you were looking for trends in gaming or the right influencers can change all that and make it sell. As a 7800 release it got more attention than and homebrew ever made. I estimate in 10 years time you could sell 250 more carts of you like. Even jack the price up 20 bucks it would still sell. 

3 minutes ago, Jinks said:

You never know. Even tho Rikki and Vikki never got the online download sales you were looking for trends in gaming or the right influencers can change all that and make it sell. As a 7800 release it got more attention than and homebrew ever made. I estimate in 10 years time you could sell 250 more carts of you like. Even jack the price up 20 bucks it would still sell. 

The carrying costs would be huge, though, and it's very unfair to ask someone to do that. I can see some smart person doing a Limited Edition with a Rikki & Vikki lunchbox (just slap a sticker on standard plastic box) with two 3D rprinted action figures, boxed game, and a t-shirt of their choice, selling in the range of $150, but that's YEARS away from reality. After this run sells out, there's got to be a good, long period of sustained whining about why "only" 500 copies were made, and how unfair life is, before a side project like that would be feasible.

3 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

The carrying costs would be huge, though, and it's very unfair to ask someone to do that. I can see some smart person doing a Limited Edition with a Rikki & Vikki lunchbox (just slap a sticker on standard plastic box) with two 3D rprinted action figures, boxed game, and a t-shirt of their choice, selling in the range of $150, but that's YEARS away from reality. After this run sells out, there's got to be a good, long period of sustained whining about why "only" 500 copies were made, and how unfair life is, before a side project like that would be feasible.

Oh there will be whining.. people only want things they can not obtain. 

• Like 3

When this game has sold out it's 500 copies there will be future "new" 7800 users who will have really missed out. That or have to pay out the ass for a copy on the secondary market. If anyone was on the fence about this title just buy it now before you end up having to pay someone double or triple the retail price in the future. We all know that is exactly what's gonna end up happening when it's sold out.

• Like 3

That could have been me. 7800 was one I hadn't gotten to, but hearing of a possible flash cart got me scrambling to be ready. Always love stuff like this that wouldn't even work on a pokey enabled flash cart. I get tons of physical releases for old stuff anyway, but knowing it's the only way to play it on real 7800 hardware makes it really special.

Edited by Hastor

8 hours ago, Shawn said:

When this game has sold out it's 500 copies there will be future "new" 7800 users who will have really missed out. That or have to pay out the ass for a copy on the secondary market. If anyone was on the fence about this title just buy it now before you end up having to pay someone double or triple the retail price in the future. We all know that is exactly what's gonna end up happening when it's sold out.

I bought a copy on release, own it on steam, talked my brother into buying himself a copy on steam (he doesn't have a 7800), and just now ordered a second copy. Some day that 2nd copy is going to come in handy. (Not to sell but for someone, perhaps my brother, to use. Can't have a 7800 without it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, john_q_atari said:

I bought a copy on release, own it on steam, talked my brother into buying himself a copy on steam (he doesn't have a 7800), and just now ordered a second copy. Some day that 2nd copy is going to come in handy. (Not to sell but for someone, perhaps my brother, to use. Can't have a 7800 without it.

Or as trade bait for an equally limited game that is also sold out.

On 8/24/2020 at 1:45 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

Ah, but we've already sold "only" 500 copies of the 7800 version - I shipped out the 504th an hour ago. The number made available to customers was 550 copies with extras for staff, press, and warranty replacements.

But yes, the issue with putting together more copies is the upfront cost of getting more boards and plastics made. We didn't toss out any of the designs (and most importantly still have the molds) but they need to be built in quantity. I've covered this a few times in the thread, but I'd like to manufacture more copies as long as there's demand - although after this run has sold out I'm stepping away from the scene out of necessity, so it's the usual "no promises" for now.

17 hours ago, Shawn said:

Yeah, they'll have to buy the digital version instead :P .

• Like 3